McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Did anyone tint their 12c?
I usually tint my cars because I dont like too much attention. The car gets enough attention as it is. But tints protect the interior from fading and keeps it cooler. Its illegal in NJ, but Ive always gotten away with it, even with a gtr. I usually dont tint too dark, however im just worried about overzealous police that might want to pull me over.

HOWEVER, if I tint the coupe, it would look weird if I dont tint the rear windsheld, it would be hard to see the engine.

Any recommendations for tints in NJ? Or should I goto dealer. Im quoted 499 for tints from them. My friend said its $150 in NY (he got his G37 tinted there). Just not too crazy bout driving there for tints. Car is getting serviced at mclaren philly on tuesday so thinking bout having them do it.

If anyone has a pictures of a nice black 12c tinted, can you post them?

thx,
lc

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Mine came with very dark tints on the side and even some tint on the front windshield. It was a Florida car. I don't really care about tints and have never tinted any of my cars, and it is actually a bit too dark at night when backing up etc. That said, I don't feel like taking them off.

Mine is graphite grey. I can take a picture if you want. I see no reason to tint the rear window. It doesn't look awkward whatsoever when left normal because you can't look at it side by side with any other glass. It also has a much steeper angle and gets way more reflections, making it hard to see in anyway. I don't think it would look odd without tint and I don't think it would even be that noticeable with tint to to sunlight reflection and glare.

Oh, and rear visibility is already pretty limited. Having a tinted rear in this car without a rear view camera would make it even worse.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Just tint the side windows only (3 on each side) to 35%. Do not tint the rear vertical window - you will get horrible reflections/glare at night - there is plenty of overhang that you get no sunlight in the cabin from the rear window. In TX this is a necessity unless you want one arm significantly darker than the other.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I tint all my cars including my Mac, I went with the usual 35% on both sides and was contemplating doing the rear and along the top of the front windshield. Cheers....??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tint

I had all of my vehicles tinted on all windows. I find the new ceramic nano particle tints to be the best for heat and UV rejection. Of those, I think Huper Optik product the best. The films can be virtually clear with outstanding rejection properties. I am in the CA desert and the temperature difference is amazing between tinted and untinted, even with the clearest film available.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had all of my vehicles tinted on all windows. I find the new ceramic nano particle tints to be the best for heat and UV rejection. Of those, I think Huper Optik product the best. The films can be virtually clear with outstanding rejection properties. I am in the CA desert and the temperature difference is amazing between tinted and untinted, even with the clearest film available.
Hmm, where can I get ceramic nano particle tints in NJ?
lc

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
The "good stuff" in the circles down here are the Llumar films. They have the ceramic. Don't use yesterday's technology metallic films (they don't look mirrored or anything) but they do block the GPS receivers from getting signal that are usually placed in the dash or under the rear deck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "good stuff" in the circles down here are the Llumar films. They have the ceramic. Don't use yesterday's technology metallic films (they don't look mirrored or anything) but they do block the GPS receivers from getting signal that are usually placed in the dash or under the rear deck.
Hows the 3M CS films? I dont seem to able to located ceramic nano particle film here.
lc

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
I spoke with Tom at http://www.theartoftint.com/index.html
They can do Huper Optik tints for $450. He will even travel to you for $200 more.
But thats the same as going to mclaren for tints which I may of ended up doing, however, he has a new ceramic nano tint called photosync by prestige. Its a new tint that changes with the sun intensity.
At night, it goes to 45%, in the day, its like 35-40%.
This sounds very good to me. Helps u to see at night. Its $100 more for the photosync.
Anyone have experience with this photosync?
lc

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Calvin, if you tell phili mac about it, they'll source and install it. Unless there is a huge delta, I prefer they do everything so they are familiar with the car and it's "blessed."

For example, they didn't do the radar detector embedded into the rear view mirror. I pointed it out, and they did it for me and I think they now offer that as standard. They're very open to improving the state of the art. So it may be worth while to ask if they can do that instead.

Plus, you'll benefit everyone else that uses them. Anyway, just a thought.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi John,
Yup, I also prefer mclaren philly for the install. they use Johnson Film and swear by it, but im debating between huper optik ceramic nano partical or prestige photosync. Chad is asking their installer if they have either for me. Im leaning towards prestige photosync cuz it changes tint shade depending on the suns intensity. Im also hearing that with huper, they dont tint the windshields with it. They tint your rear windshields with something else cuz its not film or something and cant be heated to curve with the windshields. Im reading this on other forums. Not sure if its true or not.
lc

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Hows the 3M CS films? I dont seem to able to located ceramic nano particle film here.
lc
I'm sure the 3M stuff is good. I think there's some similarities to snake oil with films. I figure get a good one, whoever makes it, and you will probably be just fine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
156 Posts
I got my 12C tinted at Mclaren of Greenwhich LAST WEEK. They did a great job and I paid 390 including tax/tip.

Sorry for the crapy picture. I have 20% on.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
McLaren Convert
397 Posts
For those of you tinting, are you tracking your cars as well? I ask because I have never tinted a car that I tracked.

·
Registered
256 Posts
btw, your garage has got to be the CLEANEST ive ever seen. Nice collection you got there!
Did the rear windshield above the engine cause too much heat for the tints?
lc
thank I even have my maid mop it lol

no zero heat problems so far

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm, where can I get ceramic nano particle tints in NJ?
lc

Call Detailing Dynamics in Mineola NY. 516-747-4114 and talk to Eddie.

They just tinted my car with the 50% Crystaline and it is unbelievable. I cannot believe how much heat it keeps out.

They are not very far from NJ.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts