McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,873 Posts
It's at the dealer being prepped/detailed, and now the steering wheel is on the RIGHT side!

View attachment 221383 View attachment 221384

These photos do not do Volcano blue justice. Even in artificail light it ranges from deep purple to dark blue then light blue in the highlights. Can't wait to see it in the sun.

Ordered Black pack with rear CF panels. Interestingly the aerobridge is visual CF (didn't order that) in the rear panel but the door winglets are gloss black. Will get the visual CF winglets.
VB with black pack looks truly stunning! I would have speced mine the same way had I had the opportunity. Congrats!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Interesting. I owned a coupe for a season and switched to a spider. Perhaps my senses have become numb, but I don’t detect any real difference in driving dynamics between the two (street use). My conclusion was that the differences are subtle although perhaps they’re more obvious if jumping between the cars on the same day.
Didn't your coupe have 200 kms on it when you sold it. How about your spider? Probaly the same. Clearly with so little experience driving the cars, a judgment distinuguishing them would be near impossible.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Didn't your coupe have 200 kms on it when you sold it. How about your spider? Probaly the same. Clearly with so little experience driving the cars, a judgment distinuguishing them would be near impossible.
Dude…he’s got like 20 cars. Decades ago, when I was single, I didn’t need to bed a girl 25X to determine whether I liked what she had to offer. Similarly, I don’t think Scrappy needs more than 200km to develop a well-rounded assessment.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Glad to see you speak on behalf of Scrappy. Owning 10, 20 or 50 cars is irrelevant, if you rarely drive them. Owning a large car collection may be indicative of significant financial means but it does not an expert driver make. Having years of experience driving super cars does. A seasoned driver does not have to drive 2 cars one after the other to be able to ascertain the differing capabilities, and driving characteristics between them. Your analogy about comparing driving a car with having sex with a women is not only odious, it is wholly inappropriate. Driving a high performance car like the 765, which is uniquely stellar with capabilities that are so vast and diverse, on a cold, wet street, primarily in traffic, going from the dealer to the detailer and then back home, will offer a well rounded assesment of its performance is beyond realistic or sensible.

I am not suggesting that Scrappy has no driving experience or expertise. I am focusing solely on his comments about the 765 coupe versus the spider. You may be satisfied that a rudimentary, superficial drive of a very special car for a highly limited drive is sufficient to make a comprehensive assessment between the two. I am not.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Glad to see you speak on behalf of Scrappy. Owning 10, 20 or 50 cars is irrelevant, if you rarely drive them. Owning a large car collection may be indicative of significant financial means but it does not an expert driver make. Having years of experience driving super cars does. A seasoned driver does not have to drive 2 cars one after the other to be able to ascertain the differing capabilities, and driving characteristics between them. Your analogy about comparing driving a car with having sex with a women is not only odious, it is wholly inappropriate. Driving a high performance car like the 765, which is uniquely stellar with capabilities that are so vast and diverse, on a cold, wet street, primarily in traffic, going from the dealer to the detailer and then back home, will offer a well rounded assesment of its performance is beyond realistic or sensible.

I am not suggesting that Scrappy has no driving experience or expertise. I am focusing solely on his comments about the 765 coupe versus the spider. You may be satisfied that a rudimentary, superficial drive of a very special car for a highly limited drive is sufficient to make a comprehensive assessment between the two. I am not.
Journalist laps or minutes in an LT is superficial and who knows their agenda as they are for profit - owners impressions are a gift. A llot depends on knowing an owner and why they purchased and why they sold.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Finally in my hands. My first convertible and on a cool sunny day it was fantastic. Once its run in a bit I'll give my amateur's opinion of the coupe vs spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts

I disagree that having years of experience driving supercars makes an expert driver. I’ve raced with success since 2012 in a variety of different cars and series but still do not consider myself an expert.

My personal observation is that the general on-road driving dynamics feels similar although the experience of the Spyder is enhanced by the increased sound levels with the dropped roof or rear window. This is with an interval of 5-6 months between drives (winter) so the dynamic differences may be more obvious with a shorter gap, but still not drastic. Styling-wise, I still prefer the coupe.

Since you asked, I believe my coupe had around 1,000 kms. That said, 200 kms would have been plenty for me to develop a solid impression.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Congrats! Curious how that compares to the timeline communicated? FOK pretty accurate?

Can't wait to see it.
Original delivery date was March- but that was like last summer. They told me a while ago it would be September so it’s pretty much “on time”

Been travel so don’t know official FOK date or anything- will head to dealer first week of august to touch base.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts