McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dudes, just wondering if anyone has their mclaren painted after purchase thru mclaren? I bought a fire black 570s, while it looks really cool when you put your face on the car, most of other times it’s just black. I had that buying regret when i saw other colors like helios orange lol. Does anyone have any experience with this type of stuff? Do i get in touch with dealers or someone else? Im based in jersey so mclaren phl and north jersey are both accessible to me. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dudes, just wondering if anyone has their mclaren painted after purchase thru mclaren? I bought a fire black 570s, while it looks really cool when you put your face on the car, most of other times it’s just black. I had that buying regret when i saw other colors like helios orange lol. Does anyone have any experience with this type of stuff? Do i get in touch with dealers or someone else? Im based in jersey so mclaren phl and north jersey are both accessible to me. Thanks!!!
Realistically it’s probably cheaper to sell your car and buy one in the right color originally. McLaren will do just about anything...for a price. And a complete tear down, McLaren quality repaint is gonna be a pretty penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
On a 570s I guess it’s financially not worth the effort ... however I have seen several cars that were repainted (esp. MSO stuff) but that costs a fortune

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not worth the time/money and explaining why it was done when it comes time to sell.

Find a vinyl shop local to you that does quality work and have them wrap it the color of your choice. Most of the new vinyl products offer paint like depth/gloss and will cost a fraction of an actual re-spray. A reputable shop will be able to wrap the jambs and such and make it look as if it was painted, all while offering a layer of protection over the factory fire black paint.

The best part about the wrap, is when you get sick of the color, you can peel/re wrap it a different one, or enjoy fire black again.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,258 Posts
I've seen people put on super high quality wraps. Probably can get them for around $8k and they can be any insane crazy thing. Best part is it protects the original paint/body work while letting you look like you have an all new paint job.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've seen people put on super high quality wraps. Probably can get them for around $8k and they can be any insane crazy thing. Best part is it protects the original paint/body work while letting you look like you have an all new paint job.
Ooof even a super high quality wrap down to every painted piece should be $6k max given the size of the car. If you can live without the door jambs and little areas like that not being wrapped, you should be able to get it for $3-4k all day

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,258 Posts
Ooof even a super high quality wrap down to every painted piece should be $6k max given the size of the car. If you can live without the door jambs and little areas like that not being wrapped, you should be able to get it for $3-4k all day

I'll take your word on it. I didn't have it done myself and just going off loose memory of what I've seen some folks here say. I defer to your and others greater experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Realistically it’s probably cheaper to sell your car and buy one in the right color originally. McLaren will do just about anything...for a price. And a complete tear down, McLaren quality repaint is gonna be a pretty penny.

How much does it typically cost with mclaren? I’m just interested to know lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
How much does it typically cost with mclaren? I’m just interested to know lol
Oh I don’t know, never had it done. But given just the pricing on some of the MSO colors and that doesn’t include tear down, refinish, repaint, and assembly, I can only imagine.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I’d venture on 30-50k minimum. Fine if you have an F1 but probably not worth for a 570

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Wrap it. Will cost a fortune to repaint it, it might not go back together as perfectly, and you'll have a hell of a time selling it when people ask why it was repainted.

Or sell it and buy the color you want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you’re going to spray the entire car, why use McLaren? Just get a high quality third party to do it. Not sure how that affects the non-paint part of the warranty though.

·
Owner
627 Posts
Selling and buying a color you like or doing a wrap are your best solutions.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Orange btw is an easy wrap ... there are other colors that might be difficult but orange should not be difficult to reproduce and quiet good looking without respraying the car

·
Registered
206 Posts
+1 for a wrap. $5-6k will get you just about any material you want, installed. Vinyl wraps also provide good paint protection (but not as much as PPF), and it will be indistinguishable from paint to onlookers that are more than 5 feet away.

This is as opposed to a $20k+ paint job that will raise eyebrows at resale. Even if the respray is OEM quality, dealers/buyers will have no choice but to assume there was damage that caused the respray...because no person in their right mind resprays!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts