McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the standard P Zeros were quite a disaster on track I'm looking into better rubber for the coming trackdays.

Trofeos would be my first choice but that would void the warranty, according to McL.

Not beeing too impressed with the Corsas in the past (on other cars), I have now been told, that the MC spec Corsas should be 20% stickier than normal Corsas.

Anyone here using Corsas ? If so, how do they compare to the P Zero and true semi slicks like the MPSC ?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
215 Posts
not sure if that helps but been using them for 3 years on a 911tt. I currently have normal Pzeros on loaner wheels and the difference is night and day. The difference in steering directness is quite substantial as well because of the stiff sidewalls. Traction is pretty amazing once warned up.
They last me 6-7k miles of hard driving on the street.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
As the standard P Zeros were quite a disaster on track I'm looking into better rubber for the coming trackdays.

Trofeos would be my first choice but that would void the warranty, according to McL.

Not beeing too impressed with the Corsas in the past (on other cars), I have now been told, that the MC spec Corsas should be 20% stickier than normal Corsas.

Anyone here using Corsas ? If so, how do they compare to the P Zero and true semi slicks like the MPSC ?
Why would the Trofeo void the warranty, especially if they are the same size as the stock setup. So far I've seen the Trofeo R's, Hoosier R6's, and Toyo R888's on this car and there has been no mention of warranty issues. Cheers....??

·
Registered
218 Posts

oh i agree with this. car is so capable but the PZero just don't have enough grip.. especially when you've driven a car on Michelin Sportcups.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had corsa's on mine the first 10.000 km, including two trackdays at Spa (moderate temp track).
So, they last, but on track, you get that strange understeer with tyre coming off the rim feeling, still they didn't "fish scale" like they did on a scuderia. And the strange thing is, you think you shredded the tyre but then you stop and have a look, and they still look good...strange. Maybe the compound is different than stock corsa's, or is it the car that treats them better? Now I have trofeo's on front and trofeoR on back tyres. Drove them on the nordschleiffe, they were better, but after two fast laps had to let them cool, the front ones really suffered. They won't last 10k km, maybe 2 or 3 trackdays. Still could be worth it if you want an edge over the others. The trofeoR is the best compromise, but don't do too long stints and be careful in the rain. Trofeo's are super but last shit all. I think the only difference between the MC corsa's and the trofeoR is the tread pattern.
And during writing this down and considering everything, namely that it's also necessary to drive home after that trackday, I am reconsidering the corsa's. On the 12c they seemed to work, and the advantage I thought the trofeo's gave me was mostly psychological. Because the more I think of it, the more the corsa's and the trofeoR felt simillar on the 12c.
You see, it's a difficult one, but considering warranty and durability and the fact the MC corsa's were extensively tested, I need to go back to the corsa's. I feel the trofeo's aren't going to live long on my car, but to each his own.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Had corsa's on mine the first 10.000 km, including two trackdays at Spa (moderate temp track).
So, they last, but on track, you get that strange understeer with tyre coming off the rim feeling, still they didn't "fish scale" like they did on a scuderia. And the strange thing is, you think you shredded the tyre but then you stop and have a look, and they still look good...strange. Maybe the compound is different than stock corsa's, or is it the car that treats them better? Now I have trofeo's on front and trofeoR on back tyres. Drove them on the nordschleiffe, they were better, but after two fast laps had to let them cool, the front ones really suffered. They won't last 10k km, maybe 2 or 3 trackdays. Still could be worth it if you want an edge over the others. The trofeoR is the best compromise, but don't do too long stints and be careful in the rain. Trofeo's are super but last shit all. I think the only difference between the MC corsa's and the trofeoR is the tread pattern.
And during writing this down and considering everything, namely that it's also necessary to drive home after that trackday, I am reconsidering the corsa's. On the 12c they seemed to work, and the advantage I thought the trofeo's gave me was mostly psychological. Because the more I think of it, the more the corsa's and the trofeoR felt simillar on the 12c.
You see, it's a difficult one, but considering warranty and durability and the fact the MC corsa's were extensively tested, I need to go back to the corsa's. I feel the trofeo's aren't going to live long on my car, but to each his own.
grant write up thanks for that... for sure we need better than the p zero, but perhaps the corsa is te way to go then if its a bit of a better tyre on he mac than the regular corsa...

mcdc, I will get some corsas and you bring your trofeos and we can compare?

I will check with London on the warranty issue but I think I know what they're going to say,

·
Registered
551 Posts
I know what they will say but keeping the same rolling diameters should not make any difference. Everybody knows about my "tire" problem and the claim was that deviating from the stock rolling diameters gives issues on the gearbox. All professionals I talked about it said it's bu..it on a RWD car.
I do admit the shifting is crisper with the stock diameters.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great write up, very informative, thanks for taking the time.

I might just add some thoughts:

The Trofeo (R) 's clearly need some heat cycling before track use. They will last significantly longer when run in properly.

I'v been told that the Trofeo's also need to be run with higher pressure on track than other tires like stock P Zero or MPSC. Otherwise they will wear too quickly. 33-35 psi (2.3-2.4bar) has been recommended.

Further I'v been told that Trofeo's need some serious camber to work properly which is clearly not the case with the 12C. Probably that's the reason why you have not experienced much of a difference between them and the MC rated Corsas ? Did you have a chance to look at the tire temperatures ?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
99 Posts
On my scuderia I had the trofeo's, always ran them at 2 bar at appr. 70 degr. Celsius.
They worked great, have to say I always drive with CST off. They were way ahead of corsa's.
On the 12c I have driven with corsa's with all TC off, and they worked, but not like trofeo's on the scud. Also ran them at 2 bar, 70C.
The trofeo/trofeoR combination I only drove on sport/track, because I don't trust that green hell. Started out on 2bar, but soon went up to 2.5. Didn't take temp. Problem maybe was that although great on the undulations, the suspension on sport was maybe too soft under hard braking and cornering. So these were the more extensive circumstances, hopefully helpful.
PS Max and U are the same person, namely me.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Anybody try shaving the Corsas before first use? I have heard that the Corsas don't really add much performance until they are well worn. Maybe shaving them would bring them into that window sooner and also get rid the the treadblock squirm that some have reported. Not sure if that would affect warranty. I have also heard, from my dealer, that some batches of the MC spec Corsas chunked and fell apart badly after only a few laps. :( Man, how I wish Mac had a deal with Michelin instead.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
On my scuderia I had the trofeo's, always ran them at 2 bar at appr. 70 degr. Celsius.
They worked great, have to say I always drive with CST off. They were way ahead of corsa's.
On the 12c I have driven with corsa's with all TC off, and they worked, but not like trofeo's on the scud. Also ran them at 2 bar, 70C.
The trofeo/trofeoR combination I only drove on sport/track, because I don't trust that green hell. Started out on 2bar, but soon went up to 2.5. Didn't take temp. Problem maybe was that although great on the undulations, the suspension on sport was maybe too soft under hard braking and cornering. So these were the more extensive circumstances, hopefully helpful.
PS Max and U are the same person, namely me.
Just wondering if you don't mind, how did you find the ride in corsa compared to the standard p zeros? I was thinking about changing to corsa when my tyres give up the ghost and the pirelli chap I spoke to assured me that corsas were as good in that respect as the pzeros which I found a little hard to believe.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Anybody try shaving the Corsas before first use? I have heard that the Corsas don't really add much performance until they are well worn. Maybe shaving them would bring them into that window sooner and also get rid the the treadblock squirm that some have reported. Not sure if that would affect warranty. I have also heard, from my dealer, that some batches of the MC spec Corsas chunked and fell apart badly after only a few laps. :( Man, how I wish Mac had a deal with Michelin instead.
I was contemplating doing that as well having them heat cycled 6th, now I'm just wondering if Tirerack carries these MC type Corsa tires.

That said I spoke with Jason at Pfaff today and he's not even aware of a Mac specific Corsa tire. Which made wonder why wouldn't McLaren provide this critically important information to there dealer network.

I'm not sure why that is, you would think though that providing up to date accurate and concise information to the dealer network would be of the utmost importance. Cheers....??

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I was contemplating doing that as well having them heat cycled 6th, now I'm just wondering if Tirerack carries these MC type Corsa tires.

That said I spoke with Jason at Pfaff today and he's not even aware of a Mac specific Corsa tire. Which made wonder why wouldn't McLaren provide this critically important information to there dealer network.

I'm not sure why that is, you would think though that providing up to date accurate and concise information to the dealer network would be of the utmost importance. Cheers....??
Well my std p zeros definitely have the MC1 designation on the sidewall. Thought I read that the Corsas should have MC? If so just call tirerack and ask them.

Edit, I see mcdc posted it a few posts up.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well I'm going to have to check that out, they have a set of HRE rims and Corsa tires at Pfaff. So what your saying is on the sidewall of the tire Corsa there is a MC and a MC1 designation, well that sounds to simple. Cheers....??

·
Registered
424 Posts
My P-Zero has MC1 markings.

The markings are the most important aspect of a tire, more so than the brand. As car makers test tires to be their OEM tires, they spec different compound for their own individual performance needs. A MC1 spec P Zero will have a different compound mix than a Porsche N spec P Zero. Both my Turbo S and the McLaren have the same size front tire, actually they both have the 'same' tires as my Turbo S is wearing P Zero too. If I put the N spec P Zero on the McLaren, while they looked exactly the same as they have the same tread pattern, the N spec tire is not going to perform as well as the MC1 spec one.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts