McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a scale they want to sell, or brand/style to recommend?

I don't want to spend a thousand bucks on a 4 pad digital model. And I probably don't ever need to corner balance a car, if that is even possible on the 12C. My interest is checking the weight of my 12C and it's high-priced options. A certain Italian brand made me a skeptic.

Also I want to use it as a tongue scale for my trailer. If you've ever towed a poorly balanced trailer though the mountains, you know it's not fun.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts

I don't want to spend a thousand bucks on a 4 pad digital model. And I probably don't ever need to corner balance a car, if that is even possible on the 12C. My interest is checking the weight of my 12C and it's high-priced options. A certain Italian brand made me a skeptic.

Also I want to use it as a tongue scale for my trailer. If you've ever towed a poorly balanced trailer though the mountains, you know it's not fun.

You must be the first person to tow a trailer with a MP12, and in the mountains:cool:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

That's a first, I've never heard or seen anyone using a exotic car for towing. I would consult with your dealer to see if you will run into any warranty issues after you've installed a trailer hitch. Reason being I've read / encountered a bit of negative press due to my having changed the exhaust system on my car. Cheers....??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, to be clear, I don't have my 12C yet. It started build three weeks ago and I'm just dying for it!

I tow rarely, using a 3/4 ton diesel truck, bumper pulling a Haulmark trailer. I was hauling a GT2 in the case of too much and then too little weight on the hitch.

Once saw an AMG merc towing a trailer outside London, and found that amusing.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
If you just need a one time use try to find a place that has a scale in the ground for trucks. There's a local U-Haul place here where you can drive your car through and for a small fee they'll tell you the weight.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
691 Posts
Any big recycling location (especially cardboard) will have a scale (because they pay on the difference prior/after unloading). Probably let you use it free. It's how I know my '86 Ranger weighs 3,143 - with me in it!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any big recycling location (especially cardboard) will have a scale (because they pay on the difference prior/after unloading). Probably let you use it free. It's how I know my '86 Ranger weighs 3,143 - with me in it!
With how much gas in the tank? ;)
Somehow I don't imagine you owning a ranger. A classic Econoline, maybe.

I'm a bit hesitant to drive down to such a place among all the nails and screws. Plus it won't solve my trailer tongue issue. But it's free--good idea thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well - we aren't going to be of much use but I would say from my personal experience that towing a 12C is easier then towing a GT3/GT2. The engine being in the middle helps.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts