McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and also owned or driven the 12C?

I've owned several Porsches over the years and one thing keeps me coming back--the daily drivability. The brakes and steering feel are best in the business too. I've had particularly bad luck with turbos and their evil overlord, PCNA, who sent a lot of my hard earned dollars back to the fatherland.

But again, that new turbo is a LOT of tech for under $200k. One could strap on some season-appropriate rubber and never look back. Do I just have the supercar itch or is this a great iteration of the 911? I've got winter tires on my 12C if that helps, in terms of what my expectations and intentions are. It's not coincidence that I ask this when my 12C is headed into the shop for the 3rd (4th?) time.

I'd love to hear your opinions, or point me to a source.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The 991tts is the wife's DD and mine is the 12c ;)

991 is very practical and has lots of room for shopping. It does well in snow/ice. Its easy to get in/out of. Its quiet. And it looks like the hundred other 911s in my town.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I was offered a showroom car last week at a small discount but was not at all motivated.......partly because it was 'just another 911'.

Said I wanted a GT3 and the salesman just laughed and said second hand ones are fetching a £30k premium........funny I don't bother that the GT3 is a 911?

The 911 TurboS is a fine drivers car and probably good value as well.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Haven't yet driven one although I have been tempted just to see what it's like but spoken to a few people whose opinions I do trust who have. From what I'm told, it's a very good car, is supposedly a much better car to drive compared to the previous generation of car although there has been something lost in steering feel with the move to electric steering and these days one isn't really giving up very much away in interaction to the gt3 given the amount of tech sharing on the 2 cars.

Personally think it's a good thing not to be noticed as much being in 'just another Porsche'... always do wish the 12c draws less attention when I'm driving it but what would bother me more is the size of the rear end of the tts. Running the wider body shell than even the 4s, the back of the car looks massive and not really in a good way. Had a good look at the car in the back of one of the Porsche dealerships a month ago and sitting next to the 997 turbo s, the lines of the 7 looked a lot cleaner I thought.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not the way people look at you and think what a wanker in that Ferrari.
What have YOU been doing in a Ferrari to get such looks? ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I took one to Millbrook testing grounds as part of a Porsche morning for potential buyers.
Stunning car with lots of power and interior space.
I came from a 997 Turbo to McLaren so knew what to expect power wise..
I did the mile straight and the car reached 140mph quite easily- I couldn't say no more as it just did it, no drama and certainly no excitement or noise to go with it.
The rear steer was the surprise of the day! fantastic in operation although I felt it a lot more at slow speeds and than quicker speeds... only downside of slewing the car around to feel the rear steer is that you noticed the weight of the car too!
It is a large car! almost making the 12C look petite in comparison.
It was a great experience to drive and really planted, it just didn't offer the 'thrill' of the 12C without having to be doing mega speeds- which it can do very easily. IMHO

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the insights. Most helpful. I read that interview exerpt where the chief turbo engineer talked about driving being torque focused, not power focused. It's really true for street driving; how much time do you spend at peak power? And how much attention do you want from police and moms of crying babes?

With a 12C, I always felt flattered to be an ambassador for the brand, something new to unseat the Italians, and something with unlimited potential. With Posrche, I feel like I am on a date with a gal who is nice and smart but flat chested, and every night we eat vanilla ice cream at the same shop. It's a good life, but it's not passionate.
Anonymitiy has it's advantages, and enthusaists still know "what you are" in a turbo given the air intakes everywhere and the wide rubber.

I am struggling with the question of Porsche as my wife is expecting and I just bought a home with a steep drive. Could store the 12C off site...Tough decisions. And a tough depreciation hit. Talking with dealers today...

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Thanks for the insights. Most helpful. I read that interview exerpt where the chief turbo engineer talked about driving being torque focused, not power focused. It's really true for street driving; how much time do you spend at peak power? And how much attention do you want from police and moms of crying babes?

With a 12C, I always felt flattered to be an ambassador for the brand, something new to unseat the Italians, and something with unlimited potential. With Posrche, I feel like I am on a date with a gal who is nice and smart but flat chested, and every night we eat vanilla ice cream at the same shop. It's a good life, but it's not passionate.
Anonymitiy has it's advantages, and enthusaists still know "what you are" in a turbo given the air intakes everywhere and the wide rubber.

I am struggling with the question of Porsche as my wife is expecting and I just bought a home with a steep drive. Could store the 12C off site...Tough decisions. And a tough depreciation hit. Talking with dealers today...
Storing off site is a PIA. I have cars off site and they might as well be owned by someone else but I keep telling myself to build a new garage and selling is even more of a PIA ... as you can see we can all justify our wants :)

Given your situation - sell the mac and grab the P you are going to have such little time as it is come back to the Mac when the time is right.

Congrats!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Must be heavily market dependant then. In Germany, you can already get a brand new 991 GT3 well under sticker.
Allocations here have been more than a bit screwy on the gt3 and it has proven quite tough to get one from talking to a few friends. £30k over list though is a bit overambitious a claim by the OPC salesperson I think to RIC, or at least certainly none will be shifting at that price. I think cars at ~10k over list have been selling though... Gets even worse on the upcoming RS allocations apparently, only 2 or maybe 3 allocated to one of the bigger dealerships around london!

Impressive in germany one can already get one under sticker..Maybe one could order from a german dealership and ask for the C16 (ie UK RHD) spec car.. :cool:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Storing off site is a PIA. I have cars off site and they might as well be owned by someone else but I keep telling myself to build a new garage and selling is even more of a PIA ... as you can see we can all justify our wants :)

Given your situation - sell the mac and grab the P you are going to have such little time as it is come back to the Mac when the time is right.

Congrats!
Thanks! And good call--there can be no "off-site" daily driver. That way I can later step up to a P14, P15, Porsche 960, whatever. I will probably stay away from Ferrari and Lamborghini but who knows? They have both treated me well, MUCH metter than PCNA, but enough about that.

Just FYI, I would pay $600k for a used P1 ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
and also owned or driven the 12C?

I've owned several Porsches over the years and one thing keeps me coming back--the daily drivability. The brakes and steering feel are best in the business too. I've had particularly bad luck with turbos and their evil overlord, PCNA, who sent a lot of my hard earned dollars back to the fatherland.

But again, that new turbo is a LOT of tech for under $200k. One could strap on some season-appropriate rubber and never look back. Do I just have the supercar itch or is this a great iteration of the 911? I've got winter tires on my 12C if that helps, in terms of what my expectations and intentions are. It's not coincidence that I ask this when my 12C is headed into the shop for the 3rd (4th?) time.

I'd love to hear your opinions, or point me to a source.
Thanks
Have both… The 911 Turbo S looks like a regular Porsche 911 with all the goodies under the hood. Theirs a different feel when driving a MP4-12C, you don't see them as much as a 911…

Just my 2 cents, however, the MP4-12C, i have a smile driving it…

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Allocations here have been more than a bit screwy on the gt3 and it has proven quite tough to get one from talking to a few friends. £30k over list though is a bit overambitious a claim by the OPC salesperson I think to RIC, or at least certainly none will be shifting at that price. I think cars at ~10k over list have been selling though... Gets even worse on the upcoming RS allocations apparently, only 2 or maybe 3 allocated to one of the bigger dealerships around london!

Impressive in germany one can already get one under sticker..Maybe one could order from a german dealership and ask for the C16 (ie UK RHD) spec car.. :cool:
It's actually illegal for them NOT to supply you with one... it's a common market. It's pretty straight forward also. My bro used to do it all the time with BMW.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts