McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think someone weighed the mc20 and it came out over 3600lbs. The artura is only 3400lbs (both are curb weights if I understand it). Which makes the artura truly impressive having less weight with all the hybrid tech.
Yes, a German automotive magazine put more than one MC20 on the scales: both at least 200kg (440lbs) over factory specs. They seem to be sick in the same corner as Ferrari.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
While this is a MC20 vs thread - I just drove the 296 GTB - it’s a step up in power, sounds better in the cabin, gearbox a touch quicker; handling/steering Artura far better, suspension Artura better. For taller folk like me - much better headroom in Artura, helmet would’ve been hard in 296; and overall the interior better in the Artura for various reasons. Fit and finish also better on the Artura.

price a slight bit higher too

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,420 Posts
I think someone weighed the mc20 and it came out over 3600lbs. The artura is only 3400lbs (both are curb weights if I understand it). Which makes the artura truly impressive having less weight with all the hybrid tech.
It makes me wonder what the artura could have weighed if they used a 675hp v8, and no hybrid bits. With that Ethernet harness I think it could have been the first Mclaren that came in under 3000lbs. I think it could have been at 2900lbs legit curb weight.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Then it would have become a warmed-up 675LT.

I think McLaren wants to be the leading edge in the field of hybrids again with the Artura. And I think they still have the possibility to become this. If the rollout can start soon, there is nothing better in my eyes. I also like the Artura better than the 296GTB. In the interior processing, I'm no longer a fan of Ferrari, really embarrassing what they afford with their cheap architecture (IMO). And I can do without the extra horsepower, the Artura has more than enough power.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,420 Posts
Then it would have become a warmed-up 675LT.

I think McLaren wants to be the leading edge in the field of hybrids again with the Artura. And I think they still have the possibility to become this. If the rollout can start soon, there is nothing better in my eyes. I also like the Artura better than the 296GTB. In the interior processing, I'm no longer a fan of Ferrari, really embarrassing what they afford with their cheap architecture (IMO). And I can do without the extra horsepower, the Artura has more than enough power.
675 definitely weighed over 3100lbs, so not quite. And I personally would take the 675 over an artura. I understand many others would not.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,420 Posts
Certainly an exciting mind game what you are doing here...
Well it’s not fully theoretical. Mclaren is releasing a artura trophy car. With a v6 and no hybrid power, and it should be extremely light.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well it’s not fully theoretical. Mclaren is releasing a artura trophy car. With a v6 and no hybrid power, and it should be extremely light.

Any advantages over the old McLaren 570 GT4?
Artura’s platform is lighter, stiffer and stronger, and its new V6 engine is lighter too. McLaren says it’s also more fuel-efficient, with better throttle response.

This reads very promising, could be the perfect Artura LT.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts

And not street legal, which is why they went the hybrid route in the first place.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Well it’s a track/race car, so yea, it’s not street legal. Making it so is not exactly climbing Everest. If anything, adding the hybrid stuff was more difficult than just getting it street legal.
Not sure what your point is. Why not take a very light 765LT and add the weight of a passenger for an extra 100hp and no turbo lag? You're then in P1 territory, but significantly lighter.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Well it’s a track/race car, so yea, it’s not street legal. Making it so is not exactly climbing Everest. If anything, adding the hybrid stuff was more difficult than just getting it street legal.
Road & Track: We Should All Be Driving Hybrids. So What's Wrong With Them?.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,420 Posts
Not sure what your point is. Why not take a very light 765LT and add the weight of a passenger for an extra 100hp and no turbo lag? You're then in P1 territory, but significantly lighter.
765 is 3050lbs.

My point is without the hybrid system the artura could have been under 3000lbs. I disagree we should all be driving hybrids. If you want to, have at it. I dislike them.

If the artura was sold as 2 models. Hybrid as is at 3400lbs, and a one without the hybrid system at 2900lbs and a normal engine, lets say a v6 at 615hp, or a v8 at 675hp, which would more people prefer? Id prefer the lighter non hybrid and the v8. Sounds like you’d prefer the hybrid. Fair enough.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider
547 Posts
If the artura was sold as 2 models. Hybrid as is at 3400lbs, and a one without the hybrid system at 2900lbs and a normal engine, lets say a v6 at 615hp, or a v8 at 675hp, which would more people prefer?
Oh, damn you, Zombie, you foul temptress!

Given the choice, your concept Artura V8 675hp...man, now that would be something!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
765 is 3050lbs.

My point is without the hybrid system the artura could have been under 3000lbs. I disagree we should all be driving hybrids. If you want to, have at it. I dislike them.

If the artura was sold as 2 models. Hybrid as is at 3400lbs, and a one without the hybrid system at 2900lbs and a normal engine, lets say a v6 at 615hp, or a v8 at 675hp, which would more people prefer? Id prefer the lighter non hybrid and the v8. Sounds like you’d prefer the hybrid. Fair enough.
So the v8 already exists……no? The perfect mclaren

675lt
🥴

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,420 Posts
Hard to imagine taking 200 lbs out of a car that already has some pretty trick equipment with titanium and carbon
Well they’ve progressively cut weight. The 765 is 3050 lbs. I think the artura is smaller than the 765. And, supposedly the Ethernet harness cut 100+lbs over the regular wiring harnesses.

To be fair it’s a lot of coulda woulda shoulda….

21 - 40 of 52 Posts