McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I drove the MC20, followed immediately by my 650S. The 650S felt nimbler, more agile and lighter. In terms of power delivery, the MC20 was convincing. Lots of torque early on without much turbo lag. But even here, the 650S somehow hits more brutally when the turbo really fires. In addition, everything inside the MC20 feels boring. It doesn't really feel like a super sports car.
I consider the MC20 to be a very nice car without any real weaknesses, but not with any outstanding strengths either.
Maybe we will have to wait for the hybrid from the MC20, maybe that has some unique selling point.
I suspect that the Artura will be clearly superior to the current MC20.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I drove the MC20, followed immediately by my 650S. The 650S felt nimbler, more agile and lighter. In terms of power delivery, the MC20 was convincing. Lots of torque early on without much turbo lag. But even here, the 650S somehow hits more brutally when the turbo really fires. In addition, everything inside the MC20 feels boring. It doesn't really feel like a super sports car.
I consider the MC20 to be a very nice car without any real weaknesses, but not with any outstanding strengths either.
Maybe we will have to wait for the hybrid from the MC20, maybe that has some unique selling point.
I suspect that the Artura will be clearly superior to the current MC20.
What you describe about the MC20 engine characteristics sounds very similar to the Artura. Turbo lag adds drama, but give me a flat torque curve every day of the week. On track, it felt very punchy out of corners, presumably because there was no wait when getting on the torque-demand pedal.

·
Premium Member
2021 720S McLaren Orange
236 Posts
I sat in the MC20 last August at Monterey Auto Week: I was unimpressed. Very plain. Not even compared to a high end sports car but to any car/SUV/truck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
drove both cars and I just ordered an MC20 Coupe. I've been the previous owner of three McLarens so I think a have a pretty balanced perspective. Being a McLaren forum I would expect support for the brand but some of the comments; "plain, boring, doesn't really feel like a super sports car". Not sure if you drove the same car I did or possibly didn't get a chance to sample all the drive modes. Believe me it's one serious supercar and that coming from the previous owner of a 600LT Spider. Artura vs MC20, it there really isn't about which one is "better" but which one grabs you the most with that emotional connection we all look for from our cars. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2021 720S McLaren Orange
236 Posts
I didn't drive the MC20. I like the looks. I hear the performance is decent. I was not impressed with the interior. It's my opinion which we all have. It's a cool car. Enjoy the car GenevaGT. It's a Maserati. Great heritage. Ich liebe alle Autos!

·
Registered
882 Posts
drove both cars and I just ordered an MC20 Coupe. I've been the previous owner of three McLarens so I think a have a pretty balanced perspective. Being a McLaren forum I would expect support for the brand but some of the comments; "plain, boring, doesn't really feel like a super sports car". Not sure if you drove the same car I did or possibly didn't get a chance to sample all the drive modes. Believe me it's one serious supercar and that coming from the previous owner of a 600LT Spider. Artura vs MC20, it there really isn't about which one is "better" but which one grabs you the most with that emotional connection we all look for from our cars. Cheers.
I think the mind games "which car is the better one" should be allowed and are also fun, they stimulate discussions.
I consider the MC20 an excellent car, for Maserati a massive leap forward (my everyday car is a Granturismo Sport, 2018 Nerissimo Edition, I am a Maserati fan), I was extremely proud of Maserati when I saw that they have implemented this project. That is not self-evident with Maserati, they make many announcements and then deliver nothing (otherwise I would have an Alfieri in my garage today). I have awaited the MC20 with a great deal of excitement and have approached this car with high expectations and a very positive basic attitude.
But when it comes to the decision to spend over CHF 300k, you think very carefully about what you buy. In my case it was a McLaren and not a MC20. I compared it with a 720S, and the MC20 simply didn't stand a chance. This does not mean that the MC20 is a bad car.
I am convinced that you will have a lot of fun with the MC20.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Vehicle Car Grille Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think the mind games "which car is the better one" should be allowed and are also fun, they stimulate discussions.
I consider the MC20 an excellent car, for Maserati a massive leap forward (my everyday car is a Granturismo Sport, 2018 Nerissimo Edition, I am a Maserati fan), I was extremely proud of Maserati when I saw that they have implemented this project. That is not self-evident with Maserati, they make many announcements and then deliver nothing (otherwise I would have an Alfieri in my garage today). I have awaited the MC20 with a great deal of excitement and have approached this car with high expectations and a very positive basic attitude.
But when it comes to the decision to spend over CHF 300k, you think very carefully about what you buy. In my case it was a McLaren and not a MC20. I compared it with a 720S, and the MC20 simply didn't stand a chance. This does not mean that the MC20 is a bad car.
I am convinced that you will have a lot of fun with the MC20.

View attachment 222026
View attachment 222027
Nice daily! Not sure the 720S is a the right car to compare since it has a much higher price point. MSRP on the MC20 is $ 212K. And in the spirit of stimulating discussion here's a few screen shots of my MC20 build!! Let the games begin!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Wheel
Speedometer Vehicle Car Gear shift Automotive lighting
Vehicle Car Automotive design Steering wheel Car seat cover

Vehicle Gear shift Steering wheel Automotive design Car

·
Registered
882 Posts
wow, what a beauty, love the MC20 in yellow, excellent taste!

And that's the market, I compared the MC20 with the 720S (and a Ferrari F8 and F8 Spider), which I think speaks for the MC20. With this car, Maserati is playing at a very high level and the air is very thin there. And depending on the selected equipment, the limits are fluid, and an MC20 can get pretty damn expensive. Look here in the forum, there are also people who compare the Artura with the 720S. That's also the market, you can not tell people what they have compare with what, to each his own.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts

And that's the market, I compared the MC20 with the 720S (and a Ferrari F8 and F8 Spider), which I think speaks for the MC20. With this car, Maserati is playing at a very high level and the air is very thin there. And depending on the selected equipment, the limits are fluid, and an MC20 can get pretty damn expensive. Look here in the forum, there are also people who compare the Artura with the 720S. That's also the market, you can not tell people what they have compare with what, to each his own.
Exactly. At the kind of performance we're talking about, the differences are marginal, and if you're talking about road performance there's really no difference between any of them. It's not until you get on a track that performance differences are really going to mean anything, and even then only if you're focused on lap times.

·
Registered
298 Posts

thank you!! Agree, from a performance standpoint the MC20 is right there but so is the Artura. Yes, checking all the boxes can push the MC20 to $ 300K. Then add the crazy dealer $ 50-100K ADMs people have been paying and yes It can get pretty damn expensive!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
thank you!! Agree, from a performance standpoint the MC20 is right there but so is the Artura. Yes, checking all the boxes can push the MC20 to $ 300K. Then add the crazy dealer $ 50-100K ADMs people have been paying and yes It can get pretty damn expensive!
I think it's a better-looking car than the Artura, it definitely has a lot more presence. It appears from your photos that both suffer from inadequate seating! 😭

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
There are racing seats available for the MC20, hot stuff!
For me, the seating is a deal-breaker on the Artura. I was initially quite excited by the new club sport seats, and when I first sat in them it was obvious they were a step up from the comfort seats, especially with the electrical arse position adjustment. But, as soon as we were on the track, and I mean the first corner, it was clear that they offer woefully inadequate support for track work. I'd rate them as a marginal improvement over the comfort seats, but that's about it. I don't understand why it's so difficult for McLaren to get this right. All they have to do is stop catering to fat drivers. Jokes aside, the only solution here is to add more weight and complications to the seats. With the hip support of the club seats, if they added adjustable side bolsters, I think they'd be fine.

·
Registered
882 Posts
For me, the seating is a deal-breaker on the Artura. I was initially quite excited by the new club sport seats, and when I first sat in them it was obvious they were a step up from the comfort seats, especially with the electrical arse position adjustment. But, as soon as we were on the track, and I mean the first corner, it was clear that they offer woefully inadequate support for track work. I'd rate them as a marginal improvement over the comfort seats, but that's about it. I don't understand why it's so difficult for McLaren to get this right. All they have to do is stop catering to fat drivers. Jokes aside, the only solution here is to add more weight and complications to the seats. With the hip support of the club seats, if they added adjustable side bolsters, I think they'd be fine.
Yep, I consider the connection via the seat to the car also to be very crucial. I have the P1 seats in both my McLaren, for me the best seats ever. You just feel a completely different connection with the car. You can almost say that a seat like that can completely change the character of such a sporty car.
I fit very well in the P1 seats (standard size). If I were basically too fat for the seats I would be willing to lose weight just to be able to chase the cars around the corners again.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,446 Posts
I think someone weighed the mc20 and it came out over 3600lbs. The artura is only 3400lbs (both are curb weights if I understand it). Which makes the artura truly impressive having less weight with all the hybrid tech.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts