McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 570S Spider that recently had a completely dead battery. It rained in Kihei and the car got angry and went crazy with the windows going up and down uncontrollably until the battery was dead. I managed to nurse it back to life with the trickle charger but now I’m left with a couple of dead battery electrical gremlins. Most notably a roof fault and the usual passenger window button being dead on the drivers door. Otherwise it’s running perfectly. I called the dealer and they advised the only fix was a software renew that could only be done with their computer. Shipping the car there takes about 24 days each way and when I shipped it to Maui originally I got it back with hundreds of miles added to the odometer and a bunch of damage the shipper wouldn’t take any accountability for. I’d do just about anything to avoid that experience again never mind having to do it both ways. So if there’s any techs out there that can pack up a computer and want a trip to Maui I’d be happy to pay for a return flight, the cost of your time as well as your hotel. The car was completely serviced 6 weeks ago so it’s just the software issue that needs addressing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was there last week, I'm not a tech but would have been fun to see one on the island. All I saw all week was 1 Ferarri and a blue C8 corvette. Good luck, and hopefully you have a taker! Great opportunity imo!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm going to bet there is no way a tech will be allowed to leave with an MDS computer. It's not only against mclaren rules but they also cost like 35k to the dealer.

Good luck tho , I hope I'm wrong 🙏🤞

·
Registered
169 Posts
Shouldn’t need an update. The windows need to be calibrated. I can do it with my tool here.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah OK, he said he has a few including a roof fault and doors . And the dealer said the only fix was a software update/renew . So I was just going off that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shouldn’t need an update. The windows need to be calibrated. I can do it with my tool here.

Cheers,

Are you familiar with the ‘roof operation unavailable doors closed’ fault? That’s the only thing I really care about having fixed. The roof will only open if the passenger door is cracked even half an inch. Works fine with the drivers door closed. If a window calibration will fix it then I’ll take any advice I can get.

·
Sponsor
889 Posts
Are you familiar with the ‘roof operation unavailable doors closed’ fault? That’s the only thing I really care about having fixed. The roof will only open if the passenger door is cracked even half an inch. Works fine with the drivers door closed. If a window calibration will fix it then I’ll take any advice I can get.
PM me. Maybe I can help!

·
Owner
810 Posts
I have a factory McLaren tool. I've never calibrated windows yet. It can't be hard as the tool is really user friendly. I'll get in the garage over the weekend and do a calibration. If I can do it, I'll let you know...... but my wife has to come too! :)

Reactions: RBH

·
Vendor
313 Posts
Do you have soft close latches on your car?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" 12C
876 Posts
I'm late to the party! Trip to Maui! YES!!!!

Looks like some stiff competition so far... Lots of talented techs responding to this call for help.

Lets thumb wrestle to find the winner. :cool:

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider!
457 Posts
l'll referee the thumb wrestling tournament! (and, yes bribes are encouraged & accepted...)

Reactions: ima2nr

·
Vendor
313 Posts
Yes I do have the soft close latches.
Codes for the Roof module need to have codes cleared and also latch modules need to have codes cleared. if you clear those out and recalibrate the windows that error should go away and the roof will function normally.

Cheers,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Codes for the Roof module need to have codes cleared and also latch modules need to have codes cleared. if you clear those out and recalibrate the windows that error should go away and the roof will function normally.

Cheers,
Thank you very much. Out of all the inquiries I’ve done on this group and at the dealer, that’s the first solution I’ve gotten. I do appreciate it. Nobody wanted to come to Maui so I just bought the diagnostic tool and now I know what to do when it arrives thanks to your help.

·
Vendor
313 Posts
Thank you very much. Out of all the inquiries I’ve done on this group and at the dealer, that’s the first solution I’ve gotten. I do appreciate it. Nobody wanted to come to Maui so I just bought the diagnostic tool and now I know what to do when it arrives thanks to your help.
No problem always here anytime if you have any questions.

If it was a month ago I would have gone out there but unfortunately it’s to hard for me to step away at the moment.

Cheers,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts