McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Explorer ST, 2018 Merc, in search of money for a 12C...
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious since I am guessing we are in the minority when it comes to owning exotics like these...

As for myself, I am a union plumber/pipe welder out of local 24 in northern New Jersey. With a wife ( who is amazingly supportive of this purchase), 3 kids, a mother I support, and a mortgage, finding the budget for mt dream car has been extremely difficult and time consuming, and I am wondering how the rest of you did it.

Anyway, some cool pics of my work for shiggles...

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
My job is white collar, but I did it by diligent saving, then selling most of my portfolio on 21 Feb 2020 and buying the dip. Currently back in around 50% cash, trying to fund a 765 or 620R.....

Should have added that my significant other was most definitely not supportive of the purchase, but did suffer a bout of giggling when I put my foot down, and was definitely swayed when a valet freaked out as I pulled up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I might also qualify as borderline blue collar, since I do most of the work on my cars (other than the 570....), and am currently rebuilding the master bath and sorting out the plumbing in the upstairs bathroom. ;) Plumbing problems are not my favourite thing.....😭

·
Owner
828 Posts
I was blue collar, my father was a plumber and, at that time, financial crisis was life. I was not much of a high school student, bottom half of class, going nowhere fast. After working summers, winters, holidays, as a 'plumber's helper' (or any other hard labor job I could find), I got my ass in gear, put myself through college with As & Bs, and law school, and since have been an attorney, retired Judge, Mayor, etc. Glad you make a good living at it. That kind of hard work can kick one in the ass -- I know.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I started working in High School...had my own FM jazz/rock radio program junior and senior years (got 4 advertisers, paid the station for the daily evening slot and I made the difference). In college I worked as a campus security guard, as a gofer (go for this, go for that) at a law firm and greeter at an apartment sales office. White collar since graduating, mostly in finance, 6 years in the auto business (planning and strategy for 2 official auto importers).

Technical jobs (like plumbing) are more important for the economy than most people think and the pay can be higher than many would think too. In many countries kids are pressured to follow Doctor/Lawyer/MBA tracks and technical tracks are overlooked despite their relevance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might also qualify as borderline blue collar, since I do most of the work on my cars (other than the 570....), and am currently rebuilding the master bath and sorting out the plumbing in the upstairs bathroom. ;) Plumbing problems are not my favourite thing.....😭
If you have any plumbing questions just let me know, I'll help you out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was blue collar, my father was a plumber and, at that time, financial crisis was life. I was not much of a high school student, bottom half of class, going nowhere fast. After working summers, winters, holidays, as a 'plumber's helper' (or any other hard labor job I could find), I got my ass in gear, put myself through college with As & Bs, and law school, and since have been an attorney, retired Judge, Mayor, etc. Glad you make a good living at it. That kind of hard work can kick one in the ass -- I know.
I started working in High School...had my own FM jazz/rock radio program junior and senior years (got 4 advertisers, paid the station for the daily evening slot and I made the difference). In college I worked as a campus security guard, as a gofer (go for this, go for that) at a law firm and greeter at an apartment sales office. White collar since graduating, mostly in finance, 6 years in the auto business (planning and strategy for 2 official auto importers).

Technical jobs (like plumbing) are more important for the economy than most people think and the pay can be higher than many would think too. In many countries kids are pressured to follow Doctor/Lawyer/MBA tracks and technical tracks are overlooked despite their relevance.
Yes, I am very fortunate that I am able to make what I make doing what I enjoy. Will I ever be able to afford a 675LT, 720S, etc? No. But as long as I stay on the course I am on now I will own a 12C soon.

Skilled trades are extremely important, I agree, and am very proud of what I do.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you have any plumbing questions just let me know, I'll help you out.
Haha, thanks! Upstairs drain is running slow,I think it just needs more snaking. I finally ponied up for an auger with a drill attachment, which was a complete plumbing game changer! 👍

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, thanks! Upstairs drain is running slow,I think it just needs more snaking. I finally ponied up for an auger with a drill attachment, which was a complete plumbing game changer! 👍
Slow drains can be more than just a clog, could be due to a bow/dip in the drain pipe (especially PVC or ABS pipe), or a backpitch condition.

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
946 Posts
I worked for a union paycheck all my life (commercial airline pilot). Enjoyed every minute, but if I had it to do over again I'd have a go at the tech and VC worlds, maybe then I could afford a Senna and a P1 like some on MacLife! :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Slow drains can be more than just a clog, could be due to a bow/dip in the drain pipe (especially PVC or ABS pipe), or a backpitch condition.
Yeah, it's been going on for a while. It's a 2 inch ABS outlet that also drains the a/c overflow. Snaking it works, but doesn't really solve the problem completely. What's backpitch?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, it's been going on for a while. It's a 2 inch ABS outlet that also drains the a/c overflow. Snaking it works, but doesn't really solve the problem completely. What's backpitch?
All waste lines need proper pitch to work properly. 2" pipe and smaller needs to be run a 1/4" per foot slope away from the fixture. 3" and larger can be run at 1/8" per foot slope. A backpitch condition is where the pipe is sloped in the wrong direction, meaning it slopes towards the fixture. If a waste line either doesn't have enough pitch, or is run flat, or is backpitched, it will cause drainage issues.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I was a professional tennis player, before I went back to school to become a doctor. However, I always worked fixing mine and everyone else's car for money while I was in school. I still do most of my own work to this day. Acquiring one of these has made my ownership experience 1000X better.

Reactions: dvandentop

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would qualify for this group. I am an International Field Service Rep so I travel A LOT and make enough to live a comfortable life. My issue is my car addiction. I have a hard time saving to get the car I want (720s) because I find other less expensive cars while im waiting and end up spending that money XD

·
Registered
527 Posts
I owned and sold, but still run for the new owner a Mechanical HVACR contractor if that counts. My background is finance, however.

·
Vendor
“I’m a Tuner”
1,055 Posts
Blue collar McLaren Medic.

Yes, I spend every day just working exclusively on these Machines.

I’m an owner and have daily driven my McLaren’s for over 5 years and 50k miles.

Kevin
Supercar Garage

1 - 20 of 23 Posts