McLaren Life banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of building a collection of classic sports car collectibles. Not the mega buck F1, Ferraris etc., but ones that are starting to get a following.

Cars like Austin-Healy 100M, 1962 MB 190, 1967 XKE etc. I should have bought the Ford GT with the gulf livery for $175k a couple of year ago...

Anyone active in these markets?

·
Registered
225 Posts
i pretty much got all the cars that i wanted when i was young(er). i enjoy driving the old cars sporadically as the driving experience is purer and gives back the feeling of what it was like to drive a performance car back in the day. but my cars aren't even that old since i am still a young guy:

'89 930, '94 E500, '94 512TR, '96 993TT. i also have manual exotics that i will never let go (as these are a dying breed): Murcie, FGT and Exige S.

if you get into building a collection and later on decide you're tired of maintaining old cars, you can sell them and probably not loose too much money and might even gain… that's how i always defend such a purchase. hahaha.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have some of the great classics and some future great classics, see my signature below.

·
Registered
293 Posts
FYI, there is a 2006 Heritage GT at auction in a couple of weeks at Auctions America in Fort Lauderdale. Should go for around $300 large

"A 2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, one of only 343 produced, featuring a Heritage Blue paintjob with Epic Orange stripes and a mere 81 original miles. The car is also equipped with all four available options—LeMans style body stripes, McIntosh CD stereo system, lightweight BBS forged aluminum wheels and color-matched Brembo brake calipers."

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to have a 1969 Mach 1 stick shift. Red w black shaker hood. It was a bit terrifying, since I felt it could not brake properly (no booster). But I wanted to know and feel the build quality from the year I was born! For years I was in love with the “plain” looking Boss 429 in Grabber Blue - lots of books bought in the ‘90s. Read a sales add in Hemmings: “I look so fast, that I get speed tickets even when parked”!
I know drive a 2004 Audi RS6 Avant Plus 480 hp in Daytona Grey: First Audi with 19” wheels, V max at 280 km/t and Audis famed sport exhaust with the black exhaust tips. No fake noises here! An Audi V8 with 250 hp is nice, too.
I would love to own a 500E Limited or a XKR-S with 510 hp as one of you already have - or a manual 190E 2,3-16 in Almandin Red or black w black leather and single seats in the back!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts