McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
One word, MORON.if your going to have fun racing other high performance vehicles do it somewhere were that are no innocent roadusers in the way .

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
V10 sounds nice thiugh..,

I was always thought it was a but daft posting this stuff. Surely asking to be prosecuted? Also slightly blind with regard to his speed against what he said he was doing.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Mikey, if it's in europe, and he's driving through another country, not sure they have reciprocity on the tickets. Plus, frankly, they're not nearly as hung up as we are here in the US. We have no sense of scale.

/Rant Mode on
Going 120mph in a Mac is like going 50 in a ford pinto, probably safer, when our laws were made up. We added the false sense of outrage over time as we became a more and more pussified culture and country.

They somehow manage on the autobon with far fewer lanes. People just have to use their judgement and sense as applied to their skill level.

I know drivers in the US that totally sober are a menace with no reaction or driving skills/ability, and I would rather be in some of my skilled friends cars while they were drunk, high on crack, and an LSD trip, while going twice the speed on ice, and KNOW I would be safer than in the sober menace's car.

The problem is, we tailor our laws, and our moronic cultural outrage, based on the lowest common denominator, and apply that judgement as if it applies to those that are not so limited, and judge the more capable more harshly. All this does, is bring the best among us down to the lowest common denominator, rather than raising the lowest common denominator to a higher standard.

/Rant mode off

Looking at the video, while not condoning street racing, he was generally pretty in control, except the one part where he forced the guy changing into his lane to jerk quickly away. BTW, you could never have pulled that move in the US, because no one looks back, and they would have plowed right into you.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Sorry but that is just stupid driving on a public roads. By all means race but on a non-public or closed roads.........blimey I sound like my Dad.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Nick, it varies state by state. In many states you cannot even get your permit until 16.5yrs (in NJ), and then become licensed by 17.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_license_in_the_United_States
http://parentingteens.about.com/od/teendriving/a/Driving-Age-by-State.htm

However, the incredible nanny state has put off a LOT of young drivers to completely not bother getting a license, and they are doing so later and later. See this thread for more:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-lounge/3498-new-generations-views-cars-2.html#post66642

Also, our drivers test almost encourages incompetent driving. I envy the rally like training you get in Finland to secure a license there.

·
Registered
964 Posts
There are some days on the M6 with the lane hoggers I wish I could swerve inbetween the lanes!!
I have actually seen it done but oddly usually by non UK plates..
But in answer - Nope.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Wow, that's worse than the crap I see commuting in to Massachusetts everyday and I'm amazed I don't see more of those guys getting peeled off the median...

-nh4.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
No way - motorcycles are to hard to locate :rolleyes:

Why people video this crap is beyond me - the fact he recorded it and published it speaks volumes.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm curious, as the forum has convicted the R8 driver, what do they think of the motorcyclists? And what do you guys think about motorcyclists splitting lanes?

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I'm curious, as the forum has convicted the R8 driver, what do they think of the motorcyclists? And what do you guys think about motorcyclists splitting lanes?
Motorcycle guys are crazy - once I realized that my life had value / fragile which was only a year or so ago I listed my bike on e-bay with no reserve ... talk about depreciation - ouch!

Then I realized wild street driving was only slightly better and got a track purpose car to be with other nuts but in a safer can.

You know I have to post a picture now :) anyway it went on for a long time which is what made me think he pushed his luck with a passenger etc was just too cocky.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Champ, that is a super sugar sweet ride. My cousin rides a sports bike, in NYC. I cannot grasp that. He's a great driver, but with so much crazy traffic in the city, it's my distrust of everyone else. That said, he's been riding for decades without incident; one of the few I can say that about.

Having said that, if I lived out in the sticks somewhere, I think having a bike would be great fun, and really not too crazy.

But what's interesting is we give bikes a pass for the same, if not more insane, behavior. No one is outraged that the bikes initiated and passed the driver to start, in not the most conservative driving fashion. True, two wrongs don't make a right, but no one even bothered to rail at the bikes at how dangerously they were weaving, or that they hit speeds even greater than the R8 at times. At least the R8 has some decent protection around it.

You make a great point regarding the passenger.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts