McLaren Life banner

Any aftermarket wheel options?

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  benjiwengy 
#1 ·
Are there any nice aftermarket wheel options available? If I have been doing web searches however not seeing many options at all.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Look too much like the factory SL wheels, why spend the extra money?

#7 ·
Ok, now those would be an upgrade / improvement.

#10 ·
funny how they only have 19 inch available yet somehow it fits onto a 20" rear for the mclaren? I think the problem with carbon wheels is the longevity of the wheels themselves. Over time they develop microscopic cracks that weaken the wheels. Yes, they are great for weight but once weakness of those microscopic cracks supersede the load, a complete and catastrophic failure.. That is just how carbon works... Also, Im not sure about resin withstanding the heat and cold cycles that a wheel is subjected to... Those will be the points of my concern on carbon wheels...

#14 ·
Another issue with Superlight wheels is a reduction in high speed stability. Going lighter than the factory McLaren MP4 would not probably be an improvement IMO.

#16 ·
Is that from experience, as I'd have thought the gyroscopic effect on stabilising a car would be minimal?

I've heard that losing 1kg of unsprung weight is worth many times that of sprung, particularly if it's rotating. So losing 1kg per corner could give you the same braking, accelerating and extra grip levels as losing 40kg off the body.

#17 ·
CF composites don't really fatigue in the natural sense like Al or even steel. It can have a type of fatigue if the resin does not maintain the structure due to aspects like temperature and humidity or UV causing delamination, but it is very different from metals. All in all, you can almost say that there is no fatigue due to cyclical loading up to the limit of the elasticity.

The main concern here is impact resistance. This can be modeled using Finite Element Method, but not sure what assumptions are made with regards to impact forces and vectors

#19 ·
All in all, you can almost say that there is no fatigue due to cyclical loading up to the limit of the elasticity.
It has been a LONG time since I last looked at things like fatigue creep etc. IIRC then it affects plastics as well hence my question why it would not affect CF. When I say a LONG time ago I mean before everybody had a PC (or Mac) and CF was hardly used at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.