McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think this is cool. If I wanted to be all serious I’ll jumó in my rolls. But when I’m in my 600LT and I too have mine tuned and no cats and have downpipes I love to have fun. It’s an amazing car and it sounds the way it should.

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
571 Posts
A lot more fun to have it happen with an aggressive shift. Sitting still at a car meet embarrassing to everyone.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Agreed that its dumb to just sit and rev the engine for flames, but I love it when I’m driving hard and shift gears and it sounds like a rifle shot and I see flames shoot out of the exhaust. Puts a huge smile on my face every time.

·
Owner
547 Posts
Well, in all seriousness, McLaren does allow you to sit and shoot flames as long as you do it properly, and it won't void the warranty. It's not in your manual but the dealer addendum is basically as follows:

Put the vehicle in check oil mode, do the 40 second oil level check, then exit that mode and pump the pedal repeatedly until it begins to shoot flames in neutral. Do this for no more than 20 seconds once you begin to see the flames. You should then immediately drive the car for a few minutes to cool it off.

The ones that are burning down did not follow these instructions and were revving for like several minutes with no cool down in between. If your car burns down because you were an idiot, then you have an insurance claim, not a manufacturer's claim.

But I personally prefer to get the flames using launch control after a spirited run. They are the largest and longest flames you'll ever see on this car when you do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts