McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting close to moving from my F430 to a 458 when I started digging into the 12C. Very impressive car with a lot to like. I have a few worries and am looking for some feedback here.

First I will be a few hundred miles from a service center. If I get a used one with some miles on it and the bugs mostly worked out, can I expect a 12C to be reasonably trouble free? I stress my cars very little and don’t track them. Where do owners in the Southeastern US go for service?

Second, is there any significant difference between the 2012 and 2013 models?

Given the number of cars that have come into the US, the number of used 2012’s is a little surprising. Any insight into why so many? Are folks moving to the spider or the 2013 coupe? Also, the offering price vs sticker is quite low from my experience with the F cars. I just saw a 2012 12C dip below $200,000 while a lot of the 2010 458 guys are offering at nearly sticker (which, if they wouldn’t move a good deal would stop me from buying one on principle, by the way).

There are a number of 12C’s at 219,000. As a buyer, I like the pricing, but I tend to move in and out of cars more then I should, and try to avoid too great a loss when I do. Is it a reasonable guess that this depreciation rate will flatten out as the cars become more widely known and experienced?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was getting close to moving from my F430 to a 458 when I started digging into the 12C. Very impressive car with a lot to like. I have a few worries and am looking for some feedback here.

First I will be a few hundred miles from a service center. If I get a used one with some miles on it and the bugs mostly worked out, can I expect a 12C to be reasonably trouble free? I stress my cars very little and don’t track them. Where do owners in the Southeastern US go for service?

Second, is there any significant difference between the 2012 and 2013 models?

Given the number of cars that have come into the US, the number of used 2012’s is a little surprising. Any insight into why so many? Are folks moving to the spider or the 2013 coupe? Also, the offering price vs sticker is quite low from my experience with the F cars. I just saw a 2012 12C dip below $200,000 while a lot of the 2010 458 guys are offering at nearly sticker (which, if they wouldn’t move a good deal would stop me from buying one on principle, by the way).

There are a number of 12C’s at 219,000. As a buyer, I like the pricing, but I tend to move in and out of cars more then I should, and try to avoid too great a loss when I do. Is it a reasonable guess that this depreciation rate will flatten out as the cars become more widely known and experienced?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Bob
Bob, you can PM me as well. I have a 430 and was going to get a 458, but got a new 12C instead.

·
Name: Dimitri
37 Posts
i would love to have the answer too... i just got a new 12c and always wondering why there is so many used.... thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
Here in Europe there are a bunch of 2nd hand ones on sale as well. It gives the impression it's not a great car but to me it is. I can't imagine I was evaluating a 458 instead. Even with their last promo 7 year maintenance....
Perhpas F.. Cars are more flashy, look more exotic that people trade their mp4's in for them.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Here in Europe there are a bunch of 2nd hand ones on sale as well. It gives the impression it's not a great car but to me it is. I can't imagine I was evaluating a 458 instead. Even with their last promo 7 year maintenance....
Perhpas F.. Cars are more flashy, look more exotic that people trade their mp4's in for them.
I think it's just signs of the times, or state of economic affairs. People are getting rid of things that are not needed, and a exotic car is one of those things unfortunately. Yes it does put a bad taste in our mouths but one persons loss in another persons gain. I'm not concerned at all, I will keep this car till I die. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
27 Posts
A few comments from a soon to be newbie. I have been an F car guy for a while, 360, 430, 599 and 458. I drove the McLaren and was beyond impressed. Traded my mint 458, of which I have zero criticisms, for an ordered Spider. End of January order, mid April build, end May delivery. Today on the east coast, if you order a Spider, delivery is August/September. Interesting observation, if you order a 458 Spider back here, you can have one November/December in your garage. Only a quarter behind. While I believe the world is getting better, these high end cars are still getting hit, no matter what the brand. Regarding 2010 458 prices, again back east, they are $30,000-$40,000 below MSRP for a perfect car. I could not see paying MSRP for 2010 or 2011 used, period. In conclusion, the more I look at the McLaren, the more I am impressed with the looks and curves. Performance goes without saying. I can not wait to take delivery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Two more points thanks to my bad memory-
1. I have not seen McLaren coupe prices below $200. Would guess with a check in hand, maybe $210. Tough year one hits for reasons others know more about than I.
2. I have prepared myself for a hit on the Spider,. maybe $100,000. Hope I am wrong. I am betting the brand survives and thrives, either independently or worse case, as part of another car company. What I have not prepared for is the brand disappearing, which I do not expect, should not happen- but if that happens, I can turn the car into a planter in my garden and weep.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Go to "Cars.com" and youl'll find the first below $200k. I suspect many more to appear for 200k or less. It's regretful , but for such a fabulous car, McClaren doesn't have a clue as to how to market the product.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Go to "Cars.com" and youl'll find the first below $200k. I suspect many more to appear for 200k or less. It's regretful , but for such a fabulous car, McClaren doesn't have a clue as to how to market the product.
Buyers of used low mileage McLarens are getting a great deal. IMO, the 12c drives better than a 458, although I understand why the 458 is popular. But for under $200K the 12c is an amazing deal. What are the choices? 911 GT2, SLS, R8?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Buyers of used low mileage McLarens are getting a great deal. IMO, the 12c drives better than a 458, although I understand why the 458 is popular. But for under $200K the 12c is an amazing deal. What are the choices? 911 GT2, SLS, R8?
The only losers in all of this are the individuals that are allowing their vehicles to be sold at these ridiculously low prices. Of course the winners are all the individuals that have the means to purchase these beauties at these insanely reduced prices. I must say is upsetting but I'm not going to let it bother me, because things will turn around and prices will stabilize. Cheers....??

·
Name: Dimitri
37 Posts
i do agree that prize will stabilize , but there is a bunch of brand new 2012 cars in europe for sale at a great discount. i just bought mine this week, waiting to receive it next week

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is what makes markets so interesting. I would not sell my car even for a substantial premium over MSRP. I would not want to be without it, even for a short time, while I waited for a new one to arrive.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't think the 12C will go much lower beyond the usual depreciation slope and some think they will bump up a bit. As has been stated repeatedly, going low hurts both McLaren and Ferrari. $190k is within spitting distance of a turbo s. ugh.

The modern, mass-produced, computerized super sports car is a consumable. It is meant to be enjoyed for a while and then passed down to the next rung of consumers. No one will ever restore one, they won't be vintage at auctions. I wanted a new 12C of a certain spec and one that I could know had not been abused. So I expect a huge hit. It will be a lot easier to live with than the hit I suffered switching out a few 911s.

Oversupply or not, recession or recovery, 12C owners around the world are smiling behind the wheel, beating everything stock under $1M, and are excited to drive them every day. Hard to put a price on that.

·
owner
227 Posts
I don't think the 12C will go much lower beyond the usual depreciation slope and some think they will bump up a bit. As has been stated repeatedly, going low hurts both McLaren and Ferrari. $190k is within spitting distance of a turbo s. ugh.

The modern, mass-produced, computerized super sports car is a consumable. It is meant to be enjoyed for a while and then passed down to the next rung of consumers. No one will ever restore one, they won't be vintage at auctions. I wanted a new 12C of a certain spec and one that I could know had not been abused. So I expect a huge hit. It will be a lot easier to live with than the hit I suffered switching out a few 911s.

Oversupply or not, recession or recovery, 12C owners around the world are smiling behind the wheel, beating everything stock under $1M, and are excited to drive them every day. Hard to put a price on that.

AGREE!

Bought mine for 200k with these options:

Options:

Sport Exhaust
Special Paint Racing Green
Carbon Fiber Engine Covers
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Carbon Fiber Interior
Stealth Pkg
Carbon Fiber Diffuser
Meridian Sound
Carbon Fiber Splitter
Carbon Fiber Sill Panels
Carbon Fiber Turning Vanes
Power/Heated/Memory Seats
Lightweight Silver Finished Forged Wheels
Carbon Fiber Exterior Mirror Castings
Carbon Fiber Seat Backs
MSRP $294,000

·
Registered
551 Posts
Fully agree. We at least enjoy them for what they are made = excercise them.

Depreciation or not. The day we've passed away we will have lived and enjoyed what we work for. Probably a little less heritage but who cares when lying in a cofin.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
AGREE!

Bought mine for 200k with these options:

Options:

Sport Exhaust
Special Paint Racing Green
Carbon Fiber Engine Covers
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Carbon Fiber Interior
Stealth Pkg
Carbon Fiber Diffuser
Meridian Sound
Carbon Fiber Splitter
Carbon Fiber Sill Panels
Carbon Fiber Turning Vanes
Power/Heated/Memory Seats
Lightweight Silver Finished Forged Wheels
Carbon Fiber Exterior Mirror Castings
Carbon Fiber Seat Backs
MSRP $294,000
Well I feel sorry for the idiot who let it go for that price, your one lucky duck which I've mentioned a couple of time on this forum. The only reason I would not have bought it is the colour, I've never been fond of green with the exception of this car. See below love this baby, oh yeah....??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363299093.690749.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
With all due respect, I'm not so sure that person who sold the aforementioned car was an idiot. It's simply a matter of supply and demand. There are at least 58 unsold cars on Cars.com alone. And that's not the sum total of the cars available in the U.S. Drop by any dealer and see what their inventory is...without mentioning names, visit the Mac dealer in the Chicago area for example. See what they've got unsold. And I've got news for you . Unless McLaren hits a home run with their"Porsche Fighter" , they may be history. Investors and dealers are only going to play the loss game for so long before they bail. This is not what you want to hear, but you can "book it".

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
With all due respect, I'm not so sure that person who sold the aforementioned car was an idiot. It's simply a matter of supply and demand. There are at least 58 unsold cars on Cars.com alone. And that's not the sum total of the cars available in the U.S. Drop by any dealer and see what their inventory is...without mentioning names, visit the Mac dealer in the Chicago area for example. See what they've got unsold. And I've got news for you . Unless McLaren hits a home run with their"Porsche Fighter" , they may be history. Investors and dealers are only going to play the loss game for so long before they bail. This is not what you want to hear, but you can "book it".
Well you won't sway me with the remark I made about these guys being idiots. Why would they be bringing in such large inventories if there is no demand, and then drop the price to the point where their not being profitable. Sounds like a recipe for disaster on behalf of the dealership. As for the fate of the manufacture McLaren, unfortunately I do not feel the same that you do about their future, which has been previously discussed in this forum. Now maybe my vision has been tainted by the goings on up here and the dealers success. I think the main reason for the over stocks have to do with of course the tough economic times. On top of which there is a real the lack of public awareness through advertising, movies and getting these cars on the race track competing. I love the product and extremely happy with the car I currently own, I will not trade it in for the world. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
106 Posts
I fully respect your opinion . I too think the world of the car...and I've owned some really nice ones, none of which have impressed me like the Mac. I may not agree with all your thoughts, and that's o.k. But one thing I will agree with you is McLaren's total lack of marketing savvy .If I want, for example, a Ferrari t-shirt, I could probably find a hundred retailers that would sell me this product. Or a Porsche item, for that matter. Try that with Mac. Seems like they are making zero effort to get their name out there to anyone other than the most hard-core enthusiasts.
Lastly, please understand this was in no way intended to be a personal criticism aimed at your opinions. That is not my nature.
All the best

1 - 20 of 21 Posts