McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pursuant to the hilarious thread about temperature setting displays changing their level of apparent illumination in darkness and through polarized sunglasses where many of us confessed to temporary stupidity, I have a story to make everyone else feel/sound/look smart.

My car came back today with Platform 10.2 after being gone for three weeks. When the transport driver dropped off the car, he left it running while I signed for it. I jumped right in, excited to experience the upgrade, and drove off and ran it through its paces for about 20 minutes (and yes, it is amazing as may others have said).

I then noticed I was down to my last few drops of fuel, so I drove to a gas station miles away from my home and refueled. When all was done, I pressed the "Start" button and saw the message "No Key Detected". I had been driving around for almost 20 minutes without the key and with no indication that anything was wrong!

Panicked, I called the transport driver and while explaining to him that I was profoundly retarded, his truck suddenly came down the road right in front of the gas station (he had no idea where I was at the time and I was nowhere near the delivery point). He was only about 10 seconds from entering the highway and leaving me stranded.

Long story short, he stopped quickly, I got the key back and all is well. Lesson learned: You can drive a 12c without a key as long as the engine is running. Please don't tell my neighborhood teenagers.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Awesome story N8te! I let my buddy take my 12C for a whirl and forgot to give him the key. He came back saying the car performed flawlessly, but he did get a "Key Not in Vehicle" message so he was afraid to get too far away. Now, I always shut down, even if it is still in my driveway.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Pursuant to the hilarious thread about temperature setting displays changing their level of apparent illumination in darkness and through polarized sunglasses where many of us confessed to temporary stupidity, I have a story to make everyone else feel/sound/look smart.

My car came back today with Platform 10.2 after being gone for three weeks. When the transport driver dropped off the car, he left it running while I signed for it. I jumped right in, excited to experience the upgrade, and drove off and ran it through its paces for about 20 minutes (and yes, it is amazing as may others have said).

I then noticed I was down to my last few drops of fuel, so I drove to a gas station miles away from my home and refueled. When all was done, I pressed the "Start" button and saw the message "No Key Detected". I had been driving around for almost 20 minutes without the key and with no indication that anything was wrong!

Panicked, I called the transport driver and while explaining to him that I was profoundly retarded, his truck suddenly came down the road right in front of the gas station (he had no idea where I was at the time and I was nowhere near the delivery point). He was only about 10 seconds from entering the highway and leaving me stranded.

Long story short, he stopped quickly, I got the key back and all is well. Lesson learned: You can drive a 12c without a key as long as the engine is running. Please don't tell my neighborhood teenagers.
Are you RELATED TO RIC ??? :p:D:p:D:p:D:p:D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Re keys. On my first European trip with my wife and more luggage than needed we could not get the car to stay locked. It simply locked then immediately unlocked. Worried her shoes would be stolen my wife insisted the car was attended at our first coffee stop so I phoned Mclaren Service in London ( Ben ) and explained the predicament..

Is the spare key in the car? Do Ducks swim? Doh.......problem solved.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Robbie, Happy New Year.......have you got that new heavy Aston yet?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Of all the cars that I've had with the push button start none of them shut down when driven without a key. I can just imagine the problems that would create, more sensors and software issues to contend with. It would be great to live in a perfect world, one day we will have flawless and perfectly tuned cars. Not.... Will never ever happen to many variables, in all aspects of the word and the biggest variable is the owner driver. Cheers....??

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I feel blessed i am in such good company,and as far as im aware,not a lottery winner among us !!!;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts