McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2016 650S Can-Am with 23k miles

American First Auto Protect are offering me a 39 month 3rd party warranty for $7,000

They claim no deductible's and everything on my exact model is covered except Brake Pads, Rotors, Tires, Glass break and other maintenance items (fluids etc)

They said for any repair the car will be towed to any authorized McLaren dealership

The only condition is no claims for first 30 days - which is fine as I wont be getting the car till closer to June

Anybody got experience with this?
It does not sound like a bad plan to me for this vehicle

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
read the fine print . some have had big ticket items kicked out by 3rd party insurance for maintenance deferred by a few miles.

·
Premium Member
“I’m a Tuner”
951 Posts
:oops: They insurance company acts like they trust you just based on what you say, and of course you feel you can trust them back.

That is the Honeymoon phase. Once they have your money (Referred to as the "Premium" paid), Then you start enjoying your vehicle with no worries... That's what you think...

Everything is great at this point! Your driving your super expensive to repair vehicle without a worry because you think you are covered, and as long as you don't have any issues then everybody is happy!

Until you do have an issue... Then, the Honeymoon is over.

As soon as you have a claim, now the trust is gone!

The insurance company now starts asking for documentation! LOTS OF IT!!! (What happened to all that TRUST?)

- They start asking for documents and proof of maintenance that was completed by ALL of the previous owners since the car was brand new. (And you can bet they know 90% of their customers cannot produce these service documents). YOU DO HAVE ALL OF THIS, DON'T YOU?

- If you cannot PROVE thru invoices and receipts from reputable businesses that every manufacturer maintenance has been completed "ON TIME, and WITHIN the allowable MILEAGE" then the warranty company will refuse any coverage based on the vehicle was not properly maintained.

At this point you should ask yourself... "Now why didn't the warranty company ask me to PROVE ALL PAST MAINTENANCE and SERVICE records BEFORE they ACCEPTED MY MONEY and sold me that expensive warranty?

The answer is clear! Because they tricked you! They knew the entire time that 90% of people cannot prove the vehicles ENTIRE service history, and they also know that most service history's have one or two oil changes that were performed a few months past the recommended time interval, or a few miles over the recommended mileage interval. Both are disqualifying events and will void your extended warranty.

And just for the record, I've seen manufactures void the initial manufactures bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty for the very same issue. If you (or any of the previous owners) goes a few hundred miles over an oil change interval you just gave them a reason to void your warranty and you can do noting about it! BUYER BEWARE

So in closing....

IF you still choose to buy an extended or third party warranty first ask yourself these questions

1) Do I have a complete documented service history for this vehicle?
2) After reviewing the complete service history, was every service completed within the manufactures recommendation for time or mileage? Think: Oil Changes, brake fluid flushed, coolant change interval, transmission fluid, etc, etc.
3) Does my documentation conclusively document that the manufacturers "suggested" fluid brands and viscosities, filter type were used for each service?
4) If any maintenance was done personally, do you have receipts for all items used (fluids, filters, parts) AND do you have date stamped photos and records to prove you actually did the service? (because just having receipts for buying the oil and filter, ect does not prove when you actually performed the job, or even if you ever did the job at all!) - I typically take pictures of the exact mileage on the dash, the oil and filter being removed from the car, and even pictures of the fluids as they are poured into the car. AND despite all of that proof I've still had a manufacturer try to tell me that was not enough to prove the oil was changes correctly. :oops:

So basically realize if you choose to purchase a warranty, think about it like a marriage that will eventually go bad. Everybody is happy until you ask for some of your money back (Premium paid). And the warranty company is not in business to give you any moneyback if they can help it!

The minute you do file a claim everybody gets offended and then you feel like you are being put on trial to get what you paid for. And many times all you get is the raw end of the deal.

Here's a novel concept... Take all the money you would pay for an extended warranty and put it into a savings account. Call it SELF INSURANCE. Now you are the administrator of the funds, and you can simply pay yourself when you need to cover a repair. Odds are statistically at the end of the day you will come out on top and keep most of that money as your own.

Cheers!

Kevin
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

·
Premium Member
“I’m a Tuner”
951 Posts
ADMINS PLEASE REVIEW THESE THREE BRAND NEW FORUM MEMBERS!!!

• ALL three this is their FIRST POST !!!
  • ALL three just joined the forum 1 hour ago!???

@Alexander Stivens
@Colin Green
@kevinwhite

Regarding the last post from @kevinwhite - I know your post is total BS!!!

You said "I got my Mclaren GT policy about a year ago from American First Auto Protect and they actually covered all my repairs that ranged me about 25k" REALLY???

Because the McLaren GT just launched in late 2019! So your telling my your car is already out of the OEM bumper to bumper warranty period?

ADMINS please keep an eye on these users...

Kevin
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

·
Premium Member
“I’m a Tuner”
951 Posts
go manage your garage. im out here enjoying my mclaren hater :cool:. not here to entertain you
I am managing my garage. The issue is you're in it...

But we clean up every day so I'm sure the trash will get swept out.

The best part was when this guy call me a hater! LOL

Kevin
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
215 Posts
It's weird that happened.. I got my Mclaren GT policy about a year ago from American First Auto Protect and they actually covered all my repairs that ranged me about 25k. I feel relieved I signed up with them. its none of my business but I highly doubt they declined your policy unless you had some sketchy play going on
So please explain to us why your McLaren GT wasn’t covered under the manufactures warranty, as the very first example was delivered in October of 2019. I would like to understand why it needed a 3rd party warranty and what was covered for that $25k. As is, without an explanation, I that seems sketchy as hell.

·
Premium Member
“I’m a Tuner”
951 Posts
Kevin is a loyal customer of ours, I'm almost positive he had a demo McLaren gt that and the coverage has expired.

Hi @Colin Green,

Just to clarify... Were you referring to me in the statement above? Or a different Kevin?

For the record I'm personally not a customer of any aftermarket warranties at this time.

Also I have no experience or opinion (good or bad) of the company this thread is in reference to.

Kevin
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

·
Premium Member
“I’m a Tuner”
951 Posts
Looks like the Admins removed all three of those absurd users and deleted their posts. Hurray!

Let the normal conversation continue...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts