McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I just saw this epic road and it made me want to get in my Mac and drive right there (as nuts as that sounds). :)

Was hoping we could get a thread going with some photos/vids of roads where you've driven and thought were the bees knees. Maybe we could make a list of ones we've liked and can arrange some meet-ups!?

So here's one to get things started (cliffside road with free car wash):

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
+1, and klausen pass, stelvio, gaou, timmelsjoc, grossglockner.. So many good options. Done them all (several times) on motorcycle, which is probably the best way to enjoy these passes properly.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
And all those passes are totally different in the opposite direction. Best Monday to Friday.

Best biking roads.com is a good info source.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Not sure that's a driving road John,more of a surviving road,but a great way to heighten your senses .........

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Stelvio is a complete waste of time as a driving road.......it's good fun to be at the top chatting to the Italian girls.

You may as well go to Tesco car park and do 38 'U' turns:D

·
Registered
964 Posts
Stelvio is a complete waste of time as a driving road.......it's good fun to be at the top chatting to the Italian girls.

You may as well go to Tesco car park and do 38 'U' turns:D
Completely agree there, however I don't blame anyone for doing the road with it's historic status - the Pizzas not too bad at the top either..:rolleyes:
I will say though I'm glad I wasn't in the 12C when I did it, it was tight enough in the 911:eek:

The Davos road was high on my list and the Susten due to slight less traffic than some of the other passes.

Newly going to the top of my list was the Penrith to Alston road which whilst certainly not having the views that some mentioned here have, as a drivers road - I've not done anything better in the Macca http://goo.gl/maps/qv4uc
I'd also say AndyC must live around some of my other favourite roads for a proper drive :cool: this being one of the best for a early morning jaunt http://goo.gl/maps/o6lKT

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Gary, the Penrith to Alston road is just brilliant fun.

I took some mates along and I knew (as a smart arse) that they would think it was tame as the beginning is just a country jaunt! But also I knew they would get drawn in and mess up the double apex sharp bends..........when we arrived at the cafe they all got out their cars and fell about laughing as they knew that I knew and that I knew that they knew........know what I mean?

I have done that road 100's of times and it is Policed especially on mad motorcycle weekends. The County Police HQ is just off the Penrith roundabout at the start and the Police bikers like the ride and a tea and sticky bun at the top. We will do a dry run before a challenging run to ensure our approach is law abiding.:D

By the way the view across the Eden Valley towards the Lake District is special on a sunny clear day.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I spotted the local fed station as it was part of the route to get to the Shell station, I did advise the group that Vpower may be the option fuel this morning :D

Luckily I was introduced to the route a fair few years back by one of the Sunday bikers, so was on the lookout for the 'unfriendlies'
We had a guy in the group who had recently updated to a stunning GT3RS and upon his arrival, he was in a very similar frame of mind as your friends, actually suggesting that road was what he bought his car for :)

As you say from the top it's spectacular views- if a little chilly in November

I'm planning on using the road again in April when on my way to the Scottish Highlands- well just to get to Carlisle for my first overnight stop ;)

Others roads to drive really does need the EVO triangle mentioned and the Black mountain road, legendary and for a reason...

Mind you some rather interesting and less busy roads in Mid Wales..

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Completely agree there, however I don't blame anyone for doing the road with it's historic status - the Pizzas not too bad at the top either..:rolleyes:
I will say though I'm glad I wasn't in the 12C when I did it, it was tight enough in the 911:eek:

The Davos road was high on my list and the Susten due to slight less traffic than some of the other passes.

Newly going to the top of my list was the Penrith to Alston road which whilst certainly not having the views that some mentioned here have, as a drivers road - I've not done anything better in the Macca http://goo.gl/maps/qv4uc
I'd also say AndyC must live around some of my other favourite roads for a proper drive :cool: this being one of the best for a early morning jaunt http://goo.gl/maps/o6lKT

I am somewhat lucky,but its more fun if there are a few of you,but I did hit an owl once on a very early morning run,so you have to have your wits about you !!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I am somewhat lucky,but its more fun if there are a few of you,but I did hit an owl once on a very early morning run,so you have to have your wits about you !!
I see it but can't comment ;)
So if a group went then it could be two wits- is that what your saying... Doh!

I've always done these roads in a group and completely agree that its so much fun driving together and then having a good laugh about the trip- which is one of the reasons I enjoyed the Ring trip so much :)

·
Smitten
285 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gary, those are great pics! That's fantastic Brotherharry! The oncoming traffic seemed to come on pretty quick, was it at all harrowing?

I'll paste it in here for convenience:

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
+1, the B4391 is bloody brilliant, pick it up from as far east as possible and it just gets better and better especially when you pass Bala. It's possibly the best road in the area IMO. As mentioned, some awesome roads around mid wales as well.
We should do a road trip up there one day... bit more rough and ready.. although I suspect the boys in blue would make a fuss... would make an interesting change from track days.,

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I go once a year and stay in Machinlyth. The boys in Blue were issuing tickets last year because on technicalities despite the coffee shops needing tourists. Great roads and scenery on a mbike and mcar.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
We should do a road trip up there one day... bit more rough and ready.. although I suspect the boys in blue would make a fuss... would make an interesting change from track days.,
heh that would be awfully good fun, especially if we could throw in a trackday at anglesey while at it....

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I'm up for it guys,most weekends in the summer,get yourself over mikey,you can be my co-pilot if it too much hassle for the P1,you can share with RIC as well,he appreciates an indicator operator.Well as least the guys behind do ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
heh that would be awfully good fun, especially if we could throw in a trackday at anglesey while at it....
Odd you should mention that, Porsche club is having it's Anglesey track day on May 17th/18th, they didn't fill it last time ,so I was thinking of possibly joining them,
I'm not going to the Porsches on the Prom bit the following day for obvious reasons :eek: so might look at that as an opportunity for a bit of fun time..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts