McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. I’m in the market for a GT and have been researching all season tire options. Can’t seem to find anything online. I spoke with several dealers and they claim these tires exist, but never provide an actual make/model when I ask. I’m only seeing summer/winter options for the standard factory wheel size on Tire Rack.

I’ve seen a few people on the forum mention they run Pilot Sport 4S tires throughout the winter. Is this practical? I’m in the NYC area, so winters aren’t crazy, but I’m worried about deterioration of tires over an extended period of time in sub-40F weather. Any idea if the factory PZ4s would be just as good as the Michelins?

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the winter pirellis and they drive awesome. I got them from Tire rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,352 Posts
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. I’m in the market for a GT and have been researching all season tire options. Can’t seem to find anything online. I spoke with several dealers and they claim these tires exist, but never provide an actual make/model when I ask. I’m only seeing summer/winter options for the standard factory wheel size on Tire Rack.

I’ve seen a few people on the forum mention they run Pilot Sport 4S tires throughout the winter. Is this practical? I’m in the NYC area, so winters aren’t crazy, but I’m worried about deterioration of tires over an extended period of time in sub-40F weather. Any idea if the factory PZ4s would be just as good as the Michelins?

Thanks.
I live in NYC and the PS4s are fine for me. Ive been caught in LIGHT snow a few times and they were fine. Of course you should drive cautiously once you get below freezing. I've driven them even in around 3" of snow and slush etc. getting caught in Vermont. It was not bad.

I have no doubt proper snow tires would be better. But if your worry is occasionally getting caught in some light snow, or rain (they are great in the rain), then you should be fine with the 4S.

That said, Michelin now makes a new all weather tire that I haven't seen anyone talk about trying here. It's basically an all season version of the PS4.

If you drive a LOT on sub 40F days, with a lot of slush/snow, then you might want to look into those. I drive in NYC a decent bit, but it's easy for me to not drive when we get a snow storm.

For example, our last snow storm, no way could you drive in the 4S, and frankly you'd be nuts to drive even in the all season. The snow tires might be ok, but with serious 6+" snow, you should be looking to take a different vehicle than a mclaren IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts