McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this is a McLaren forum (THE McLaren forum actually), but most of us are all petrolheads and own several other brands. I am totally jonesing for an Alfa 4C. Saw it in Geneva in March and I must own one. I never thought I'd consider a white car, but the satin white launch edition paint looked awesome up close. It reminds me very much of my Elise, which I miss dearly, but with a CF tub and Italian sensuality. Plus it's a bargain. Does anyone know when we will see these in the US? My local Fiat dealer seems to think they will get them (apparently not all Fiat dealers will), but he really doesn't have any useful information about numbers/timeline/taking deposits/etc. Internet searches aren't revealing too much either, besides "by the end of 2013". Anyone have any reliable info?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
its certainly a pretty car,and more advanced than the competiton at this price range,a bargin if ever I've seen one

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
I was thinking Chrysler was going to setup the dealership network and/or shared-showroom setup for Alfa.

The Austin of Fiat store is breaking records selling the 500 & Abarth models. They'd move a lot of the 4C as well due to the foot-traffic & notoriety they generate.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I saw many of them at the Maserati Factory. Bianco Fuji looked awesome.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Yeah the white one is very special. They are great I hAve to say and very tempting. They also sound fantastic it would seem... The 8c was possibly the most enjoyable car I've ever driven from a sound perspective... Even the wife liked it! Hopefully they have done some thing similar with the 4c and improved the dynamics a little.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Yeah the white one is very special. They are great I hAve to say and very tempting. They also sound fantastic it would seem... The 8c was possibly the most enjoyable car I've ever driven from a sound perspective... Even the wife liked it! Hopefully they have done some thing similar with the 4c and improved the dynamics a little.
To me, the 4C is basically a fluffed up Lotus Elise. However, Chris Harris commented the interior is not up to snuff, cheap looking.

$70,000 USD, for me I would rather have a pre-owned GTR, M3 V8, RS5, etc. Would be a fun car, but nothing I really get excited about.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
To me, the 4C is basically a fluffed up Lotus Elise. However, Chris Harris commented the interior is not up to snuff, cheap looking.

$70,000 USD, for me I would rather have a pre-owned GTR, M3 V8, RS5, etc. Would be a fun car, but nothing I really get excited about.
I hear ya.. Not seen the interior up close so difficult to comment...

All those that you detail are useful cars.. I think the 4c will be a somewhat flawed fun car, much like the lotus as you say...

I wonder if they will be successful at taking sales from boxster/cayman... I would love to think so as its an Alfa with everything that goes with that. But sadly I don't think they will...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I was really interested in this car...until I saw it. Not a fan of the styling and the front end was the deal-breaker.
I was really hoping for a mid-engine take on the Duettottanta concept. That would have been a salivating prospect. I really hope Alfa-Romeo haven't lost Pininfarina's phone number.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback gents. I just saw the Harris video today, and I must say I'm still captivated. I love the idea of owning a 895kg car (again). I don't mind a spartan interior when weight savings is the objective. Still no news from my dealer though on timing or price. Really hoping it stays on the south side of $70k.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am interested but only if it really ends up being light. I still have my 2005 Elise in large part because there is simply no other option to replace it. It weighs under 2000 lb with full fuel and while low on power (I did turbocharge the car), nothing else drives the same. The fully manual steering and the fact that there is abut 300 lbs on each front wheel makes for a tactile feel through the wheel that no other car can offer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Autoblog reporting that US 4C launch delayed to mid-2014. I've read elsewhere that the reason is the need for additional structural elements to meet US crash test requirements that will add 220 lbs. (!!!) to the package. Anybody have a Elise/Exige they're looking to sell?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/25/alfa-romeo-4c-delayed/

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
http://youtu.be/2RG7oCUekM0

Autocar review... Also very positive. !
This could become the one car that defies depreciation!

It is already becoming a 'cult' car amongst the young and spotty yuff crowd.........if it is cheap to insure it will appeal to a wide audience. ( I'm spotty and maturing )

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You just know this will be a winner.........assuming it is bolted together properly.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Someone just told me... the 4C has a 4500 mile service interval...?! That's pretty shocking for a modern car if true...

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Someone just told me... the 4C has a 4500 mile service interval...?! That's pretty shocking for a modern car if true...
THat won't work for me that's for sure... But even though it turbo would think it would be better ... But it is Alfa though heh.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts