McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone opt for the alcantra option. Im woried about the glare on the windsheld. I have a problem with glare at nights from headlights as well as the sun reflecting off the dash. I think the alcantra option is the way to go for me. What are your thoughts? Pros and Cons of alcantra.
Thanks,
lc

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Looks the best IMO. Just need to make sure you don't leave it out in hot sun for a prolonged time. Makes it a little harder to treat the leather surrounding it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
same here.

the only down side with the alcantara dash is that it collects quite a bit of 'debris' blowing around the cabin .... i noticed the other day when driving cotton fluff and dust collected ...... which is actually good as it'll make the tidy up easier ........ just need to figure when to do that job

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, such quick responses. I appreciate all your help all!
Hard to locate one with carbon black/carbon black with alcantra and ceramic brakes with low miles for 2012. Thats something I cant change later without costing a fortune so would like the options now.
sigh....
lc

·
Owner
893 Posts
Hard to locate one with carbon black/carbon black with alcantra and ceramic brakes with low miles for 2012. Thats something I cant change later without costing a fortune so would like the options now.
sigh....
lc
Why not just order a 2014 and get exactly what you want, including the brand new Iris system!!;)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
sigh....
lc
Seats and door panels would be easy for any high quality interior shop, the dash would be tough though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am on my 2nd mac both had alcantra but this one has much more MSO on it.

I think it is only way to go. I would do full 100% if I could and zero leather.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It's no problem to do the dash if you find a quality shop like Caravaggio, they've done lots of work for me in the past and present and have no complaints. If you are rushed to get it done then don't bother sending it to him, as they say you can't rush perfection. Cheers....??

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
The Alcantera inserts in the seats help keep you from sliding around too. No glare from dash, IRIS brightness is more of a nuisance than anything.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree on the Alcantara, though for some reason I don't like the partial dash treatment. My coupe had leather dash and I don't recall much glare but maybe I was always too distracted by the spot of frost that would grow on the windshield when the A/C was on. :)

I ended up ordering my spider with the leather dash but Alcantara door panel, seat inserts and wheel.

As others have mentioned, adding it to an existing car isn't too hard. Just find a quality shop and you can make it exactly how you want.

·
Registered
256 Posts
BIG, how do you clean the dash? Does it collect dust like a normal dash? you can't just wipe it down...[/QUOTE

My auto detailer comes ever week to clean my cars so they always stay pretty clean.

Alcantra is very easy to maintain, much easier then leather.

I have a few alcantra couches in my house and they look brand new still.

You should have no problem keeping it look new for years to come.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
BIG, how do you clean the dash? Does it collect dust like a normal dash? you can't just wipe it down...
Hot soapy water, get a towel damp, dust off. Use a horse hair brush to fluff. Easy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am on my 2nd mac both had alcantra but this one has much more MSO on it.

I think it is only way to go. I would do full 100% if I could and zero leather.

WOW, Im speechless! Beautiful!
lc

·
Registered
173 Posts
For my future spider, to avoid any reflection on the windscreen, I'll choose alcantara carbon black for most parts of the interior as :
screen rail (the first part touching the lowest part of the windscreen)
the facia upper which continues to door armrests upper and tunnel console upper
the facia inserts which continues to door armrest side an tunnel console sides
same for the cluster cover, with orange stitching matching with the color of the seats

I am waiting fo the answer from MSO to know if it is possible to have orange leather seats with the center part in alcantara orange like the inside of the roof.

My specs will also include carpet an pannel between the seats and the motor compartment in alcantara carbon black.

This material is very easy to maintain, I'm used to it.
Remove the dust with a microfiber glove. In case of spot, just use a little bit of clean water and dry it with a microfiber (Meguiar's ha a black one wich doesn't leave any visible fibers). For grease spots, rub gently with a cloth soaked in acetone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts