McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with an Alcanatra interior regretted the choice? How does it look - do the brush marks you can get with Alcantara bother you?

·
Owner
893 Posts
It requires more maintenance than the leather would, that's for certain. It looks quite nice when new but, it does tend to get matted and worn if you don't keep on top of it. ;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I've had Alcantara in a couple of cars, like everything in life it has it's pluses and minuses. If your a fuss pot aka anal don't bother, if you like to drive fast and corner hard go for it, if your a weight weenie go for it as well. I know that doesn't truly answer your question, if I had the option to do it all over again I would go for it. In actual fact I'm in the process of getting new seat covers made with red Alcantara inserts for the two reasons stated above. Good luck in making the right decision that will make you and your car happy. Cheers......??

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I have it, love it, it's done beautifully in the Mac, especially with contrast stitch. After 10,000 km and used daily, still looks as new.

'weight weenie'. Lol. :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Me thinks Extreme hast coined a new term: "weight weenies."

Love it. :D:D
Thanks GeorgeSSS for the recognition of the new term in this forum. Although I really can't take credit for something that currently exists in another forum. Being an avid and somewhat anal cyclist is the reason for the existence of this term. See link below. Cheers.....??

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm going to be the odd one out here .... I prefer the leather. My first car was spec'd with the alcantara but it's replacement came with a full leather interior. I would now not switch back to the alcantara, the leather interior just makes the car feel a bit more special and up market, is easier to keep looking 100% and it certainly doesn't effect the speed at which the car can be driven ..... all my humble opinion of course.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hey that's why the offer the option, in other words to each his or her own. I won't hold it against you because I like leather as well, it's all dependent on the application. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i have it and love it!
im curious what do you use on the alcantara to keep it looking new?
Get a soft horse hair brush and brush the fabric every so often, depending on how often you drive it.

If you get a small stain or spill something on the fabric, get some Raceglaze Alcantara cleaner.

You can also dust it with a dust wand, and or use a terrycloth towel, soaked in warm soapy water. Wipe down the areas, and the use the brush to fluff the fabric up.

If want it to stay perfect, put a small towel on the seat, and then sit on that. When you go to a car show remove it.

Worst thing for Alcantara is heavy sun exposure, get a dash cover if you will have it sitting in the sun for a while. The fabric will loose it's smoothness, and get very dry and rough feeling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts