McLaren Life banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suddently the Airbrake stopped working. There is no way to simply lock the door or unplug the batterie to solve the issue.

Does anyone know how the Airbrake is connected to the gearbox/transmission? Can you simply open the gearbox to see and
check the Airbrake pump?

Is there any way to measure the gearbox sensors to see if everything is working fine or maybe one of the sensors is defect?

·
Sponsor
973 Posts
The airbrake is controlled via the PCCU and any malfunction can only be rectified by the McLaren MDS computer. Sometimes it will cycle through on its own. Not always. I would visit a dealer and get it done.

XPRD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try to press down the airbrake button for 20 sec, this can Sometimes work. If it got out Of allingment you can try to fill the pipes with oil And press IT down and drive, you Will see that the airbrake Will Do a self test in very low speed, if the selftest is Done the airbrake Will automaticly go back to normal mode Again.

I have been working alot with the airbrake system and even rebuilt airbrakes with new pipes and different mountings for cylinders... All without any computer ?

·
Registered
591 Posts
try the simple lock down cycle repeatedly discussed across the forum before doing anything major. when locked down leave the car for at least an hour before trying it again. Usually it self-corrects within 1 to 3 cycles

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I had the air brake error and it wouldn't work on my 650, mclaren replaced the tranny due to the airbrake module being located in there. They wouldn't open it up to replace whatever broke for the air brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
When I had the air brake error and it wouldn't work on my 650, mclaren replaced the tranny due to the airbrake module being located in there. They wouldn't open it up to replace whatever broke for the air brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow that's nuts! Air brake problem caused transmission swap!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had to replace the whole airbrake as it seems the cylinder did not work synchronized all the way when the airbrake went up and down. This caused always an error in the motor control system.

All the mentioned solutions did not work at all. Not even to have the battery disconnected for 24hours.

Ill keep you in the loop. Very interesting topic ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.