McLaren Life banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Owner
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone can shed light on the faults I'm getting. For the record, the car will be going in to make any repairs under warranty but I'm curious. I was getting an "airbag fault" that was flashing on and off for a dozen times or more. It finally just stayed on. Seems to sometime clear itself but comes back. Along with the "airbag fault" I get a "parking brake fault" followed by, "air brake temporarily unavailable" fault. Seems they are clearly all connected but has anyone else experienced this sequence of faults? I'll know more when the car goes in but, since I asked to have this repaired in April when the car was in for an annual service, I want to know what to look for this time as it clearly wasn't corrected the last time.
Thanks for any input.

·
Owner
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Air bag fault is typically the passenger side seat sensor. Superceded part fixes the issue. Could also be a loose connector at the sensor connection for either seat. I had that one.

Parking brake could be worn out ebrake pads, but not likely if you just had an annual.
Loose connection makes sense to me since it was flashing back and forth. The faults come together so must have some sequencing connection. We shall see! Yes, just completed the annual and all is well with the ebrake pads. The car is a late 2013 so the updated seat sensor should already be in place. But, never know until it is looked at. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like a bad earth to me. Clean both ends of the earth strap from the top of the gearbox to the rear subframe brace above. You will need to remove the rear diffuser to access this. Next, remove the front subframe chassis bolts (x 4) ONE AT A TIME clean the threads and the contact face of the bolt heads then replace to 70nm torque. These bolts are located under the car just in and back from each wheel arch ( 2 per side ) They bolt the subframe to the carbon tub. Remember- ONE BOLT AT A TIME. Finally, the earth strap from the battery to the front subframe, remove and clean the subframe end. This will more likely show a little oxidisation.

Issues with these earth points can cause a number of intermittent faults and error messages but more significantly can cause the engine to run less smoothly especially at part throttle

·
Owner
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a bad earth to me. Clean both ends of the earth strap from the top of the gearbox to the rear subframe brace above. You will need to remove the rear diffuser to access this. Next, remove the front subframe chassis bolts (x 4) ONE AT A TIME clean the threads and the contact face of the bolt heads then replace to 70nm torque. These bolts are located under the car just in and back from each wheel arch ( 2 per side ) They bolt the subframe to the carbon tub. Remember- ONE BOLT AT A TIME. Finally, the earth strap from the battery to the front subframe, remove and clean the subframe end. This will more likely show a little oxidisation.

Issues with these earth points can cause a number of intermittent faults and error messages but more significantly can cause the engine to run less smoothly especially at part throttle
Wow! I think I'll let the dealer do this since they are going to pick the car up and return it to me at home. I'm still under warranty so, probably best to let them do it. Thanks though. Probably a little more than I should tackle on my own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got air brake fault on my 650. They replaced my transmission. They said a module that controls the air brake is inside the transmission housing and Mclaren said they can't open the transmissions up.
I don't know if this is really the reason my transmission was replaced. But the air brake error hasn't appeared again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.