McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Owner
893 Posts
Just out of curiosity ..... besides the factory ones, what other kinds are there? I can't see that many filter companies would be offering them for the 12C market, currently.
:)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Where are the air filters located on this car and what do they actually look like. You must excuse my ignorance, I'm still waiting on my putt putt to arrive. Cheers....??

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
675 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have BMC filters and Unobtanium HF cat downpipes awaiting my May annual service. It might be a mute point by then but will post any noticeable differences.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They are right behind the rear wheel liner (1 driver side and 1 passenger side) to the right of each spring tower toward the side intake.

I replaced them with BMC and only notice a "maybe" higher pitch intake sound at higher RPM.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just did mine and boy what a difference in sound! Is night and day, car sounds like a p1 now can totally hear the turbo flutter.

Will mic it up and post a video for you guys

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
How much are the stock air filters?
I just created a DIY thread where I do mention the air filters briefly:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/83666-oil-change-diy-procedure-isg-delete-mod.html

Purchased through McLaren Chicago, then ran about $96 each. I, too, am curious if the BMC filters are superior, inferior, or equal to OEM, and how much they cost. It seems like I heard somewhere that the OEM air filters are as good as any out there..

·
Registered
614 Posts
Someone should dyno these. I bet they don't make more power. The stock ones seem to flow quite well.

I know this is apple and oranges but when I swapped BMC's in for stock Lambo filters, the intake whistle was more pronounced. If all I get is more P1 "whoosh's" with the filters and high flow cat DP's, I'll be happy. Then again, I am a child. lol

·
Sponsor
805 Posts
I know this is apple and oranges but when I swapped BMC's in for stock Lambo filters, the intake whistle was more pronounced. If all I get is more P1 "whoosh's" with the filters and high flow cat DP's, I'll be happy. Then again, I am a child. lol
I hear you. I plan to dyno them back to back one day.

XPRD

·
2012 MP4-12C
607 Posts
FWIW I put in BMC filters and removed all of the foam inside the intake boxes. No idea about power, but the sounds were a welcome change. Lots more whooshes!

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
FWIW I put in BMC filters and removed all of the foam inside the intake boxes. No idea about power, but the sounds were a welcome change. Lots more whooshes!
The wooshes are from the foam removal, I did that with stock filters. I have other motives in this data.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts