McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Mac’ers,

Up here in the frozen tundra, so I’ve got the Mac on the lift to get ahead of some maintenance.

With 120,000 KM I’ve seen my fair share of things so I thought I would share something that has me flabbergasted.

There is a 4” wide accordion-style duct that connects the air plenum to the intake side of the air box. For some strange reason, Mac went with a felt material that has literally disintegrated. Obviously this would create a performance issue if the hot engine air was being sucked back in to the intake manifold.

I sourced a thermoplastic hose from a local distributor that is much more durable. It also expands easier so getting it on the manifold is much easier as the forward connection is difficult to get to. I also put a little coat of Vaseline on the inside of the duct so that it slips on easier. I’d suggest getting it cut to 13” long.

Worth having a look next time you’re in there!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey fellow Mac’ers,

Up here in the frozen tundra, so I’ve got the Mac on the lift to get ahead of some maintenance.

With 120,000 KM I’ve seen my fair share of things so I thought I would share something that has me flabbergasted.

There is a 4” wide accordion-style duct that connects the air plenum to the intake side of the air box. For some strange reason, Mac went with a felt material that has literally disintegrated. Obviously this would create a performance issue if the hot engine air was being sucked back in to the intake manifold.

I sourced a thermoplastic hose from a local distributor that is much more durable. It also expands easier so getting it on the manifold is much easier as the forward connection is difficult to get to. I also put a little coat of Vaseline on the inside of the duct so that it slips on easier. I’d suggest getting it cut to 13” long.

Worth having a look next time you’re in there!
What car is this on?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got a quote from the dealer that the duct costs $600 CDN per side!

I’ve got a set for anyone looking.

·
Owner
791 Posts
120,000km! I'm more interested in your experience with those miles!

Reactions: RBH

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" 12C
863 Posts
my felt style hose is shot on one side of my 2012 12C. Please share the source or part number of the solution you have created! :)

and 120k miles on the 570S! your my new hero!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my felt style hose is shot on one side of my 2012 12C. Please share the source or part number of the solution you have created! :)

Thanks!

I sourced mine from Gregg’s Distributiors up here in Canada. Not sure what the equivalent would be for you.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
187 Posts

Just to be clear, he said 120k Kilometers, not miles. That is “only” 75,000 miles :p. Still a good amount, glad to see another one being driven :)

·
Owner
791 Posts
That’s a novel in itself....roller coaster for sure but worth every mile. Lots of mods too and she’s holding up pretty good!
Let's hear.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts