McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some air coming out of the center speaker in the car, is this normal?

·
Registered
207 Posts
i think its because it is the a/c. Im having mines blocked cuz it was causing a cold spot on the front windshield.
lc

·
Registered
232 Posts
i think its because it is the a/c. Im having mines blocked cuz it was causing a cold spot on the front windshield.
lc
Mine does the same, and will also block eventually--but waiting for the winter to see if I need to keep it clear for the cold weather. Got my car in Feb. and missed the real cold weather.

Anyone else have insight on this one?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I brought my car in today at McLaren Philly. They said it does that so they simply put something to block the top/front half of the vent. Might be speakers in there as well? I am not sure, but they said thats how they do it. Just dont know if there is a speaker in there. Im thinking there is. Why else would he mention blocking front half.
lc

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
With 7 speakers advertised in the system I have personally seen 2 in each door and 1 in each rear location. The 7th by process of elimination should be the center channel

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, I got a cold spot/condensation on the windshield sometimes.... I thought it was a speaker, but maybe it is an AC vent....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I blocked mine about a week ago, everything is fine now, no foggy windscreen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yea, I got a cold spot/condensation on the windshield sometimes.... I thought it was a speaker, but maybe it is an AC vent....
Spoke with one of the techs @ Pebble about this; there's a published fix that the dealers are instructed to do for anyone who lives in our area, or in the Middle East, the only two places in the world where this seems to happen. As another forum member mentioned before, it really does consist of a piece of foam that's inserted under the dash, atop that vent (and even though it looks like a speaker grill, it isn't :) I'll have mine done when I bring it in for its first service next year.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well the term central air seems fitting for whats been described in this posting, I have yet to experience such a thing although the condensation thing does happen in my Audi without a centre speaker. Cheers......

·
Registered
239 Posts
I get condensation on humid mornings, no big deal; flick the wiper if it gets too big a patch. Too much whining on this site.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I live in Indiana, and I get it all the time. My solution has been to switch the air flow to the low vents only, as using the wipers is near-continuous on a muggy day. I will opt for the fix. AS

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so it's basically a defrost air vent that is on when the regular vents are on, usually there is a separate mode for that...

·
Owner
769 Posts
My car is currently doing this as well, does anyone have pics on how they blocked this off?
I am curious also -- how does the screen pop off/up?
B/c I would like to treat my leather dash, but don't want the leather conditioner to make contact with the screens.
(on my Range Rover, the screens' paint deteriorated when in contact with leather conditioner)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I live in Indiana, and I get it all the time. My solution has been to switch the air flow to the low vents only, as using the wipers is near-continuous on a muggy day. I will opt for the fix. AS
I live in Florida and experience this all the time. Today while driving, I did the same thing you did... I simply switched the air flow on the door to the foot well and the the face and it stopped. Just re-direct the AC air on the door switch to the floor and face. Worked for me in humid Florida.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine did this when new. Took it the dealer and they fixed it. Not sure what they did, but it no longer blows from in or around the center speaker.

·
Owner
769 Posts
Since this thread popped back up ...

Does anyone know how to remove the screen/vent without damaging the leather on the dash?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts