McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car showed an error message indicating "Air Brake Fault" today. And the air brake doesn't work, nor does the aero button. Basically, the rear wing is inoperable. I tried turning off the car completely and locking/unlocking the doors, then re-starting the car, but got the same error message.

Has anyone else had this error message? If so, what was the outcome?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mine went away. Shut off car, lock car, wait at least an hour, try again. If it still won't clear, must go to a Dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree with Mark, have had that twice and it reset after sitting. It may have been me fiddling with the Aero button at too low a speed. I also think the brake cycles on startup when you are rolling and if you interupt that, an error occurs. I have been trying to figure out why this happens, still not sure but it has always resets.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
After you start and move off, the air brake self-tests when you hit 9mph. As others have suggested, perhaps fiddling with the aero button during this phase somehow confuses the electronics.
I learned the self-test thing the hard way - waiting to run a half mile event I kept turning the car off as I waited in line, never made it to 9mph as I reached the start, and consequently the car wouldn't let me engage launch control 'cos it hadn't tested my air brake!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your comments. I tried shutting the car off, locking, and waiting about 2 hours ... and it worked! The error message was gone and the aero button works. I hope it stays that way.

I don't know why I got the error message in the first place. It was not on, or soon after start up. I had been driving for about 30 minutes.

Anyway, I'm glad the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thanks for all your comments. I tried shutting the car off, locking, and waiting about 2 hours ... and it worked! The error message was gone and the aero button works. I hope it stays that way.

I don't know why I got the error message in the first place. It was not on, or soon after start up. I had been driving for about 30 minutes.

Anyway, I'm glad the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks again!
Give this man an OWNER tag. Glad I could help. I often drive in the softest suspension mode, and I learned that Aero will not work in this mode.

This car is heavily computer based, the hard reset with an hour or 2 wait usually resolves most small issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Give this man an OWNER tag. Glad I could help. I often drive in the softest suspension mode, and I learned that Aero will not work in this mode.
Not really related to Aero, but I found out this weekend that a tire temperature over about 160 F will throw all sorts of errors and tell you to stop the car if in Normal suspension mode. It doesn't do that if you're in Track mode. If you switch from Track to Normal while the tires are still hot, the computer will immediately throw an error...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got the air brake error as well

how u guys reset the car ? just turn off the engine and lock the car for 2 hrs ? or i had to push some button to reset ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Evening,

I had my MP4 cleaned by a detailer and he manually moved the spoiler a touch to polish underneath, the error code came up. So i have left it and assuming when i return to it then the problem will have gone away.

When i started it to move it back into where its parked it was a little bit grumbly on initial start up, like it did not really like the fact i had pressed the start button. 2 to 3 seconds of grumbliness it was ok.

Anybody else had this before i consult the dealer??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Evening,

I had my MP4 cleaned by a detailer and he manually moved the spoiler a touch to polish underneath, the error code came up. So i have left it and assuming when i return to it then the problem will have gone away.

When i started it to move it back into where its parked it was a little bit grumbly on initial start up, like it did not really like the fact i had pressed the start button. 2 to 3 seconds of grumbliness it was ok.

Anybody else had this before i consult the dealer??

Happens to me all the time and I just treat it as a reminder to drive it more often. The more frequently I run the 12C the less that happens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the main cause of this is going over bumps or driving aggressively while the air brake is testing. The road leaving my office is pretty rough and it happens occasionally if I hit the bumps too fast. The road leaving my house is smooth and it never happens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I discovered a trick to ensure this never happens. Just always shut the car off while using the active aero (so the spoiler is up). When the spoiler has to go up then down the fault can occur. If it just goes down from the up position I never get a fault.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Everything cleared now. No faults. I had just fueled up and was pulling out of the station when the wing went through it's diagnostic check. Was on a fairly steep slope when fault occurred. Maybe we can find some kind of commonality when these faults occur.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here is what I've gleaned so far
-possibly bumpy roads while it's testing
-possible bad transmission
-possibly applying brake during testing phase
-possible out of level car during testing phase

any more?

when my fault occurred the car was on a slope (fairly steep) and I was applying brake while it was doing it's check.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Here is what I've gleaned so far
-possibly bumpy roads while it's testing
-possible bad transmission
-possibly applying brake during testing phase
-possible out of level car during testing phase
Can't speak to the first two possibilities, but the last two don't affect the self-test results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts