McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was washing my car recently, I noticed that my air brake is not aligned with the car bodywork. The air brake is bolted correctly to the mounts, but it appears the driver side mount is further aft than the passenger mount, causing the misalignment. It’s small, but it annoys me.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
608 Posts
You will need to remove the rear diffuser.

You can then access the hydraulic actuators below and make your adjustments. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Allow for 3 hours labor and you will be happy.

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You will need to remove the rear diffuser.

You can then access the hydraulic actuators below and make your adjustments. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Allow for 3 hours labor and you will be happy.
Thank you! I need to change out my reverse light anyway, so the diffuser is coming off regardless.

EDIT: I was warned by two McLaren shops not to mess with this and bring it in for proper calibration to avoid an error being thrown. PM sent for more details. Thanks.

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after being told by the McLaren service center that there was absolutely no way to resolve this issue without bringing the car in, and forking over >$1000, I decided to try fixing myself.

After removing the diffuser, rear bumper, and exhaust surrounds, the actuator posts for the air brake are easily accessible. While not necessarily difficult, it is a bit mentally daunting to remove the body panels of a supercar. That said, it is still "just a car" and with a bit of patience, any tinkerer should be able to manage.

Below each side of the air brake, there are piston actuators mounted to triangular-esque struts (mine were black - stealth package?). On each black strut, there are three silver hex-head fasteners. By loosening these three fasteners, the entire air brake assembly can be adjusted forward, backward, etc. to a rather large degree (~1"?) without actuating the pistons of the air brake. Simply place the air brake where you want it (ideally aligned with the other body work), and tighten the bolts back down. Job done and $1K saved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts