McLaren Life banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anyone had a third party claim yet? My day of reckoning is near with making a decision (my warranty is up in early December I think).....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Update:
I just canceled my contract with Total Auto Protect (TAP). Please note I did NOT have a claim that led me to cancel, but I chose to cancel based on three observations:
  1. A slew of what appears to be fake 5-star reviews on Google, Trustpilot, BestCompany, and more. No good company requires such measures.
  2. A fellow McLarenLife poster (without a McLaren) who messaged me privately with a poor claims experience with TAP.
  3. My 570S has been relatively reliable, and I found I could personally rectify the issues that did occur. So I no longer felt the warranty was needed. (Knock on wood)
The cancellation process was a bit odd and has yet to fully wrap up, but I wanted to share that experience as well. Not only did the "cancellation expert" lack basic phone etiquette that made me think of an outsourced $4/hr virtual assistant, but they tacked on an additional $150 charge to cancel the policy (when only $25 is agreed upon in the contract). I was able to get it removed and am currently awaiting the pro-rated refund.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update:
I just canceled my contract with Total Auto Protect (TAP). Please note I did NOT have a claim that led me to cancel, but I chose to cancel based on three observations:
  1. A slew of what appears to be fake 5-star reviews on Google, Trustpilot, BestCompany, and more. No good company requires such measures.
  2. A fellow McLarenLife poster (without a McLaren) who messaged me privately with a poor claims experience with TAP.
  3. My 570S has been relatively reliable, and I found I could personally rectify the issues that did occur. So I no longer felt the warranty was needed. (Knock on wood)
Which of these 3 reasons mattered the most to you?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Update:
The cancellation process was a bit odd and has yet to fully wrap up, but I wanted to share that experience as well. Not only did the "cancellation expert" lack basic phone etiquette that made me think of an outsourced $4/hr virtual assistant, but they tacked on an additional $150 charge to cancel the policy (when only $25 is agreed upon in the contract). I was able to get it removed and am currently awaiting the pro-rated refund.
Thanks for the info on your experience. While my factory warranty has 10 months remaining, the car has been very reliable with few issues and I don't plan to extend either.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just to add some more info:

My 720s just came off initial warranty - (I didn't buy mac warranty or anyone else's)

A good friend of mine bought a 2012 12c. Part of the purchase price was the extended warranty for one year (car and warranty was purchased through his non servicing dealer). He had a couple of wear and tear items that wasn't covered under the Mac warranty. He decided it wasn't worth it, cancelled it and received a pro rata refund. He will just source parts and have a third party mechanic/tech take care of the car for future needs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Which of these 3 reasons mattered the most to you?
#1: Seemingly fake reviews
I do not need this $, although it is nothing to dismiss. If the company had continued to demonstrate good behavior, I would have kept my policy.

Thanks for the info on your experience. While my factory warranty has 10 months remaining, the car has been very reliable with few issues and I don't plan to extend either.
It seems most of the 570's "quirks" are worked out in the early miles, and by continuing to drive the car vs. let it sit.

Just to add some more info:

My 720s just came off initial warranty - (I didn't buy mac warranty or anyone else's)

A good friend of mine bought a 2012 12c. Part of the purchase price was the extended warranty for one year (car and warranty was purchased through his non servicing dealer). He had a couple of wear and tear items that wasn't covered under the Mac warranty. He decided it wasn't worth it, cancelled it and received a pro rata refund. He will just source parts and have a third party mechanic/tech take care of the car for future needs.
I anticipate decisions like this will become easier with time, as more indy mechanics are advertising their support for the brand. I've done a bit of work on my 570 myself and I don't find it to be any more complex than your average peformance car. The more owners/shops that discover this, the greater aftermarket support there will be!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Refund Follow-up:
I received my pro-rated refund, however, it has not been without speed bumps. They tacked on an additional $150 for cancellation which was not agreed upon. This was in addition to the $25 cancellation fee which was agreed upon contractually. I am in the process of requiring them to refund this $150 as well.

I'm marking this down as another strike against their (un)professional nature, and not a company I am interested in doing business.

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
LifeIsGR8, May I ask how one knows or ascertains the reviews are fake?
When I initially signed the contract, there were very few reviews. Now a few months later, there are dozens of not hundreds of reviews, all 5 stars, posted in frequent and predictable patterns. Even the language patterns were similar. The industry average review rate is 1%, or 1 in 100 new contracts. I highly doubt TAP was able to 100x their leads overnight.

These suspicious reviews were also made on sites where posting had little or no verification of the user or other checks, but oddly not on more stringent sites like Yelp, BBB, etc.

If I were to guess, TAP is paying for a review farm to post these.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got 9 months left on my LaSalle warranty. Only reasons I can think of to keep extending is for ease of re-sale and maybe the trans. But since LaSalle is no longer offering warranties I may have no choice of a reputable option.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts