McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update: Today I pulled the trigger on a warranty and added my recommendation to the original post. I'll update this thread if I ever file a claim.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What was the process for verification like?
Did you simply send
In maintenance records from
New and they approved you, or was it
More
Complicated. As always with insurance and warranties, companies are only as good as the payout and hassle to get pay out when you need them

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What was the process for verification like?
Did you simply send
In maintenance records from
New and they approved you, or was it
More
Complicated. As always with insurance and warranties, companies are only as good as the payout and hassle to get pay out when you need them
Being that my car is still under factory warranty for a bit, the verification process was simple. Send pictures of: the VIN; the odometer; the license plate. And include information that shows when the factory warranty ends.

I'm not sure if additional verification/inspection is required if the car is currently out of warranty.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Reading the stipulations it says prove manufactured maintenance with records.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 12C with an aftermarket warranty from La Salle. They stopped offering contracts on Mclarens last year. I plan to keep my car and I'm looking for other options as my broker claims there is no other "reputable" companies out there. I did have an amazing experience with La Salle so far. My car is one of the unlucky 12C's with cracked head issues, so they are giving me the option to replace both heads or pop in a 650's motor. This is actually a current claim going on right now. After taking with three Mclaren techs from other dealers they are telling me to do the 650 motor as it's pretty much bullet proof compared to the 12C. There is a local 650 owner pushing 60k miles with no issues at all. I'm hoping the next company I decide on will have the same great customer support as La Salle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just reached out to my broker about these two options in this thread. This is his response:

They are both telemarketers and scams. I assure you neither one of these companies will paying any claims or in business a year or two from now. I am on a mission to make sure that none of the telemarketers out there (Concord & Total are two of them) that take a customers money and run do not succeed and continue to give this industry a bad name. Purchasing coverage from either of these companies is a waste of your money, you'd be better off having no coverage. They are uninsured telemarketers. Concord claims to be in business since 2013 which is untrue, they started selling contracts just over 1 year ago. If you look at their Better Business Bureau page...
Concord Auto Protect | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Make sure to read through the or complaints which are real. Their Better Business Bureau profile were started at the end of 2018 which is when they enter the industry. In this very short time they have already dropped to a B rating and have 8 complaints (for comparison we are A+ rated and have no complaints). Their so-called customer reviews were created by a company that posts fake reviews as their business. These companies, several of which are listed as referral sources on their website are all paid rating services (i.e., you can pay them $10,000 per year for a number one rating or $5,000 a year for a top 10 rating). This is obviously a dishonest business practice. Here are the names of some of these companies so you can watch out for them as you shop...Best Car Warranties, TrustPilot, and ConsumerAffairs.com. There is virtually no way for them to have 85 reviews in that short period of time. In this industry people will go on and complain much more often than they will to take the time to post a positive review. The only true rating service in this industry is the Better Business Bureau which you cannot buy and to become and accredited company, which they are not, you need to be invited based on many years of successful customer service.

As far as Total Auto Protect, They have been in business slightly longer at 2 years and again, in this very short time already have 20 complaints which is unheard of in have dropped to a C- rating with the Better Business Bureau and of course, do not have accreditation either...
Total Automotive Protect Plan | Better Business Bureau® Profile

You will notice that neither of these companies reference the Better Business Bureau on their website as a referral source, only the paid services I have already mentioned. Always make sure you use the following criteria when choosing a company to make sure you don't have a bad experience or get burned...
  • A company that is in business a minimum of 8-10 years so they are not only selling plans, but successfully paying claims.
  • A company that is directly underwritten by a US-based insurance carrier with at least an A/Excellent rating with AMBest or Standard & Poor's.
  • A company that is A+ rated and accredited by the Better Business Bureau which is the only legitimate rating service out there.
We have scoured the market for another underwriter that would consider covering the McLaren model line but have been unsuccessful based on it both being in exotic vehicle and that the claims loss ratio is unacceptable for any insurance company to take on and stay solvent.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
It's an interesting take^. Using the same approach, you can find even long-standing warranty providers such as Fidelity Warranty Service also have a high number of complaints via BBB. Also, after reading through many of the complaints for Concord & Total Auto Protect, they were since marked resolved by the customer.

There are members of McLarenLife who have coverage under Concord and Total Auto Protect. If you know one, tag one so we can understand the claims experience. fonzi337,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Would definitely like to know anyones experience with the two mentioned warranty providers. Even Warrantech, that covers Mclaren's ESC, won't cover them outside of dealer sales anymore so we need options.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Bumping this thread to the top, in case anyone has filed a claim with an aftermarket warranty company and can share their experiences.

I'll continue to periodically bump this thread.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm very interested in this thread, as my warranty expires in December of this year. I haven't had a lot of major issues with my 570 S (mostly electronics glitches and a rattle), but wondering about the validity of "self insuring" on this type of thing. Not sure what to do...

Reactions: LifeIsGR8

·
Registered
45 Posts
Being that my car is still under factory warranty for a bit, the verification process was simple. Send pictures of: the VIN; the odometer; the license plate. And include information that shows when the factory warranty ends.

I'm not sure if additional verification/inspection is required if the car is currently out of warranty.
I read through some of the complaints on the BBB site. Total Auto Protect's warranty kicks in 30 days after you register for it. There was a case where a car went in for a claim shortly after the warranty kicked in, but TAP deemed the problem pre-existing because the car had hardly any miles added to it since the initial registration date. They don't require an inspection to obtain coverage.

Given that exotic cars typically get driven a lot less than normal cars, I would be wary of the excuses these aftermarket warranty companies could potentially make in order to deny claims.

I recommend asking your McLaren service department if they have any positive experiences with any aftermarket warranty companies.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I spoke with the guy who used to manage the McLaren service department at my dealership. He mentioned a few things:
1. They have had difficultly making claims with the non Mac warranties. He didn't go into detail, but mentioned they were more difficult.
2. He pointed out that the third party warranties and the Mac warranties do not cover everything (a real drag compared to my Aston extended warranty which mirrors the factory and is less expensive)
3. There's nowhere that can do meaningful service for these things right now beside the dealership
4. He suggested that I stick with the McLaren warranty at least for a year and then reevaluate my options

I feel pretty good about his recommendation as he is no longer with the dealership, so he doesn't have a horse in this race. I guess I'll probably bite the bullet as I'm too afraid to self insure on this car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I spoke with the guy who used to manage the McLaren service department at my dealership. He mentioned a few things:
1. They have had difficultly making claims with the non Mac warranties. He didn't go into detail, but mentioned they were more difficult.
2. He pointed out that the third party warranties and the Mac warranties do not cover everything (a real drag compared to my Aston extended warranty which mirrors the factory and is less expensive)
3. There's nowhere that can do meaningful service for these things right now beside the dealership
4. He suggested that I stick with the McLaren warranty at least for a year and then reevaluate my options

I feel pretty good about his recommendation as he is no longer with the dealership, so he doesn't have a horse in this race. I guess I'll probably bite the bullet as I'm too afraid to self insure on this car.
Thanks Charley, this is good perspective.

Even as the guy who started this thread and took a chance on this 3rd party warranty, I agree with all of your contact's message. Making claims on 3rd party warranties are certainly more involved than a factory warranty (speaking from personal experience w/Fidelity), although a few phone calls to save 4-figures is worth my time personally. The 3rd party warranties offered for Mclaren are not exclusion-based, so you do have to assure that your policy covers the items of concern. 3rd party warranties generally accept whatever servicer you'd like, including the McLaren dealer (confirmed personally w/TAP). The McLaren extended service contract is undoubtably a more comprehensive policy - but at at roughly 3x the cost and increasing.

So these 3rd party warranties are certainly not for everyone. I still do not have personal experience filing a claim w/TAP and cannot speak to the experience (and I hope I never have to!), but if I do, you can bet I'll be on McLarenLife spilling all the details.

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wish there was a clear answer. I have a month to make up my mind.
my 650S spider has been flawless but the complexity of the suspension, transmission, convertible mechanisms, and electronics make me so worried to carry forward with no coverage.
I really want to go 3rd party to justify the cost but I haven’t found one person with any actual feedback or experience with mclaren 3rd party warranties.
I have a call into my dealer service department to see what they think, if anything.

·
Registered
639 Posts
piece of mind=Mclaren Warranty
coverage for sure=Mclaren Warranty
hope and pray=3rd party
Cheaper=3rd party
waste of money=3rd party

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
14 Posts
I guess they charge different rates depending on model year - just enquired on my 2018 spider and mclaren quoting 3900 for the year

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess they charge different rates depending on model year - just enquired on my 2018 spider and mclaren quoting 3900 for the year
McLaren charges more to cover a car whose warranty has already lapsed vs one that is still under warranty.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts