McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Fellow 570S owners/prospectors,

After learning the outrageous prices McLaren wanted for their ESC (Extended Service Contract), which was anywhere from $5-6k/annually, I started looking for an alternative contract with similar coverage at a far more reasonable price.

Prior to the 570S, I had a Fidelity Platinum policy on my Audi R8, at just $3200 for 3yrs/36k. Different brand/model, of course, but considerably less than Audi's warranty offering and good experience with claims. It made me believe there had to be more aggressively priced warranties for the 570S. I found only a handful of companies are offering contracts on the 570S, which is understandable considering at the time of writing most 570S were still under factory warranty.

It's important to note that aftermarket warranty companies are not offering as comprehensive of coverage on the 570S as McLaren's ESC, but when you factor in the lesser cost combined with McLaren's increasing exclusions + increasing fees...aftermarket coverage starts to look very appealing.
_

My findings:

Prices reflect the provider's top tier policy only

I was unable to find a provider that offered an exclusion-based policy, which is always preferred. So when pursuing a policy, you have to read the fine print + explicit exclusions to assure it's covering the 570's common faults + your concerns.

___

My Recommendation:

Total Auto Protect
"Premier" Service Contract

I ultimately purchased a 3yr/30k for about $7k. Their service contract can be found here. The contract does have exclusions, but after comparing to the common reliability faults of the 570s (my research on reliability can be found here), I found it to cover the vast majority of concerns.

The reasons I went with Total Auto Protect are: (1) Price - they were the most aggressively priced. They'll also price match their competitors. (2) Coverage - most of these companies use the same contracts, so it becomes a fight of superior customer service and price.

I have no affiliation with Total Auto Protect, or any warranty company for that matter.

Being that my 570S was still under factory warranty when I purchased the policy, the requirements to begin coverage were simple. Send pictures of: the VIN; the odometer; the license plate; information that shows when the factory warranty ends. The aftermarket warranty then begins the moment your factory warranty ends, with no overlap or gap in coverage.

Jason Wilford
Direct: (302)-467-1240
Toll-Free: (844)-438-1444
E-Mail: [email protected]

I will update this thread if I ever file a claim - which I hope never happens!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Very interested to see what you find, especially if you read the policies in-depth. Interesting that your prices from Total Auto Protection are more than for my 12C - a more complicated car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I called Concord Auto Protect back in December, I was offered this:

Quote Price: $5,710.00 (Premium)
Term: 2 Years + 6 months + 40,000 Miles

I did not take it, as I am still under McLaren Qualified ESC, but they did say the period would start once my existing warranty would end if I wanted to buy ahead of time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I called Concord Auto Protect back in December, I was offered this:

Quote Price: $5,710.00 (Premium)
Term: 2 Years + 6 months + 40,000 Miles

I did not take it, as I am still under McLaren Qualified ESC, but they did say the period would start once my existing warranty would end if I wanted to buy ahead of time.
Thanks for the data point. I talked to Concord this morning and added them to the table in my original post. I'm sure there are other variables at play, but Concord's warranty does seem to have increased considerably since your quote.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the data point. I talked to Concord this morning and added them to the table in my original post. I'm sure there are other variables at play, but Concord's warranty does seem to have increased considerably since your quote.
I got the feeling that everything was negotiable with them. It started higher, then they added the 6 months and price went down some.

Would like to compare others, so thanks for pulling this data together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Appreciate you putting this together. That’s the biggest annoyance for a lot of folks, no 3rd party service/warranty.

I think the biggest evidence we need is for someone to have one of these warranties and try to open a claim. That’s when things get sideways with aftermarket warranties sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any more prices to share?
Just those two organizations for now. I suspect that if I spent enough time on the phone with the providers who specifically exclude McLaren from their online quotes, I could get more. My interaction with Total Auto Protection was confidence inspiring. They were familiar with the common problems with the 570S and their policy is rather comprehensive.

If anyone knows of another warranty company that covers the 570S, please post!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I talked with O'gara's McLaren service advisor and found the 570s ESC annual fee is going to be around $6k/year for 2020. So it's gone/going up significantly.

In light of that, I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these aftermarket warranties. Is there anything in particular the community wants me to ask/confirm while I get into the weeds?

·
Registered
795 Posts
In light of that, I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these aftermarket warranties. Is there anything in particular the community wants me to ask/confirm while I get into the weeds?
What concerns me is how financially stable whoever is "insuring" the warranty is, and I don't know how to check that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What concerns me is how financially stable whoever is "insuring" the warranty is, and I don't know how to check that.
As a proxy for financial stability, I'm looking at company age. Total Auto Protect has been in business for 9 years, Concord Auto Protect 7 years. This is not a tell-all of course, but something to work with.

·
Registered
795 Posts
As a proxy for financial stability, I'm looking at company age. Total Auto Protect has been in business for 9 years, Concord Auto Protect 7 years. This is not a tell-all of course, but something to work with.
Thanks. Are you believing what they say, or checking in some independent way?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. Are you believing what they say, or checking in some independent way?
Independent verification of company age. Their sites post cumulative warranty experience, which of course is not a good indicator of survival.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i would like to know real world claim experience from someone who has actually claimed and received what was promised.

Anybody?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts