McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I am installing my aftermarket titanium exhaust system. I have done quite a bit of research on whether or not I should wrap them. Many sources say that you should never wrap titanium as it can cause problems with the titanium. Some people say the titanium needs to “breathe” and that wraps “suffocate” them making it more difficult for it to cool down.
Well the problem for me is as many of us know....there are several areas of the exhaust (catback) that are quite close to parts of the car.
my down pipes are wrapped so I am not worried about the downpipes...this post is in regards to the catback... not the racing pipes.
To complicate things... I track the car which means going full tilt for 30 straight minutes for 5 sessions a day means the car will see much higher temps than some other cars.
Does anyone have any experience as to titanium systems that are wrapped vs not? Any input would be greatly appreciated especially from those of you that track your McLarens on the track.
thanks!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
As long as they don't touch anything, you don't have to worry about it. I tracked my car with titanium exhaust and never had any issue. Also our exhaust are visible from outside and you will lose beautiful color of them if they are wrapped. Don't do it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as they don't touch anything, you don't have to worry about it. I tracked my car with titanium exhaust and never had any issue. Also our exhaust are visible from outside and you will lose beautiful color of them if they are wrapped. Don't do it.
Thanks for the input. I honestly don’t want to wrap it because it’s a work of art!!!! See below!
The issue is there are areas where it is literally half an inch away from the Inside of the rear diffuser which makes me super nervous.
The owner of the company told me to put gold foil on the transmission and the rear diffuser to help reflect the heat..... I just had my doubts, but guess I need to install it and make sure there’s no touching at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ryft? Gorgeous!
Yes, it’s a Ryft. Gotta say the construction is absolutely top notch and more importantly... the guys that own Ryft are fantastic. They are extremely helpful and are on top of their stuff unlike my experience with other companies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do!
One thing that’s confusing to me is several exhaust companies that supply titanium systems for the 570s include wraps on their systems....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Will do!
One thing that’s confusing to me is several exhaust companies that supply titanium systems for the 570s include wraps on their systems....
The idea of wrapping the exhaust is to keep the temperature under the hood lower. Our engine cover already allows the heat to escape. At the same time wrapping the exhaust can trap moisture and cause issues with the exhaust system in the long run.

You should give them a call/email them and ask if you should wrap their exhaust or if it is necessary to do it at all. Also ask them if I will it void the warranty if you decide to add it. Best to get it in writing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts