McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 570s spider Sicilian yellow
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone changed their stock air filters with aftermarket ones and noticed a difference in power/turbosound?

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,101 Posts
Will turbos get louder? Yes, a tiny bit. Will you notice a performance gain? Absolutely not. There is no reason to replace them unless you are due for replacement. I would also avoid EVERY aftermarket filter that requires oil. I only know of 1 that doesn't require oil McLaren dry media engine air filters (pair) *select your model*

·
Owner
801 Posts
I have been using BMC or K&N in all my cars for decades, and there is a mild performance difference. In the 570, there is a bit more turbo sound.

I like the fact there is more air flow and I really like never having to buy filters again. Just clean, service and reinstall.

The people that have problems with oil and MAF basically over oil them.

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,101 Posts
I have been using BMC or K&N in all my cars for decades, and there is a mild performance difference. In the 570, there is a bit more turbo sound.

I like the fact there is more air flow and I really like never having to buy filters again. Just clean, service and reinstall.

The people that have problems with oil and MAF basically over oil them.
Prove your performance gains. I collected data, I know my findings. If you don't have to oil your filters, you can't over oil them.

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
oiled filters is a non-issue. hundreds of thousands cars out there with maf and oiled filters with no problems. some oem performance kits include oiled filters!
following an oil burning vehicle will introduce more oil into the intake track than a correctly oiled filter would ever do.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
following an oil burning vehicle will introduce more oil into the intake track than a correctly oiled filter would ever do.
That's not a good point, IMO. There's a massive difference between ingesting smoke and oil droplets.

The only argument in favour of aftermarket, oiled filters that I buy, is sound. Everything else seems moot, IMO.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,101 Posts
oiled filters is a non-issue. hundreds of thousands cars out there with maf and oiled filters with no problems. some oem performance kits include oiled filters!
So they're better because they found another way to make more profit? Weistec sells "performance spark plugs" for $400 and they're NGK's you can get for $96. As a person who sells aftermarket filters, I'm telling you, there is NO benefit to aftermarket filters with the exception of re-usability. I did the testing, I know the results. So again I'll ask for proof of the better performance claim, not from what the person that sold them to you says, but an actual quantitative value of result you have experienced. I made a video showing my results, in air flow and in car test data.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Please re-read earlier posting.
Where does it mention any performance gains?

Then why do you offer cleanable filters if it’s not for profit ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
There is an old thread confirming power gains by using a vbox if you search. Dyno and vbox data is the only real data to use.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That's not a good point, IMO. There's a massive difference between ingesting smoke and oil droplets.

The only argument in favour of aftermarket, oiled filters that I buy, is sound. Everything else seems moot, IMO.
Most hydrocarbon smoke still contains initial agent droplets.
Particulate filters and cat converters will show evidence of that.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,101 Posts
Please re-read earlier posting.
Where does it mention any performance gains?

I have been using BMC or K&N in all my cars for decades, and there is a mild performance difference.
Then why do you offer cleanable filters if it’s not for profit ?
I offer them as an alternative to repeatedly buying filters. I do not offer them claiming they perform better and you'll gain power. The issue wasn't profiting from the sale of them, it's the pretenses and why they're included in performance packages which results in profit.

There is an old thread confirming power gains by using a vbox if you search. Dyno and vbox data is the only real data to use.
I saw that thread years ago and questioned it then. The differences shown on the vbox could be a variety of things, from road condition to tire temperature to air temperatures. When I did my testing it was the same section of road with the same weather at the same time of day. I had to wait to get the same conditions. As for the dyno, you can run the same car 3 times back to back on the same dyno the same day and get swings in power differences. I've seen 30-40 HP difference between runs before. Seeing 10 HP with a 500+ HP car between runs is extremely common. That's a 2% margin of error.

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
580 Posts
You obviously just want to argue. vbox data is more accurate. It's clear your biased as your selling products.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,101 Posts
You obviously just want to argue. vbox data is more accurate. It's clear your biased as your selling products.
Vbox is more accurate than what? A Dragy? Because since you seem to pride yourself on other peoples stuff you'd know that the Dragy reads exactly the same as a Vbox. If I was biased towards selling my products I'd tell you they make more power and they're the best things ever. I wouldn't say all aftermarket perform like stock and there is no performance benefit, which is the case. The only possible exception might be in 4 digit power. That being said, the fastest McLaren in the world and the quickest McLaren in the world have stock filters, and 4 digit power.

You seem to be mad your "but this one guy one time that wasn't me" argument doesn't hold up. I proved it, you try.

·
Owner
801 Posts
EMF man apparently just wants to argue and try to sell his stuff. That's OK. Maybe become a sponsor instead of hawking your stuff on a public forum and then moaning that people have opinions. I'm done.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,101 Posts
EMF man apparently just wants to argue and try to sell his stuff. That's OK. Maybe become a sponsor instead of hawking your stuff on a public forum and then moaning that people have opinions. I'm done.
I've literally posted every time in this thread stating why you should or shouldn't buy the filters. If I'm just trying to hawk product, why would I tell you why you SHOULDN'T buy aftermarket filters that I sell? Are you even reading posts or just taking sides like this is Facebook? You're right, people have opinions, I have facts, and I made a video about it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
not fair to EMF gentleman. he has contributed to this forum where people can agree to disagree whilst remaining civil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts