McLaren Life banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update..new fuel pump ordered. Testing pending. One week till next update
I noticed my car do the same thing a couple times today in 4th gear.. Please let me know if fuel pump solves it.. And thank you very much for documenting all of this and keeping us updated, Highly appreciated over here.

PS. I have pure turbo inlets sitting waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I noticed my car do the same thing a couple times today in 4th gear.. Please let me know if fuel pump solves it.. And thank you very much for documenting all of this and keeping us updated, Highly appreciated over here.

PS. I have pure turbo inlets sitting waiting to be installed.
I'd be delighted if any of the info im providing would help your case sir. I should be having an update regarding the fuel pump this week. I will make sure to convey everything ill have learnt about my problem including service notes. You can then ask your tech to follow my diagnosis process while you also have your air inlet pipes replaced

As a recap my fuel pump control module, catalytic converters+downpipes and air inlet pipes have all been found faulty and replaced under warranty while trying to diagnose the rpm cut off problem. Hopefully the new fuel pump finally fixes it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Update! New fuel pump said to have finally fixed the issue. The car has been test driven in three separate occasions and will be test driven one more time before they send it over. Mclaren Troy handled the situation well at the end, going the human route instead of the corporate.

as a side note: Turbo air inlet pipe baffle dislodgement issues (now thats a mothful) and fuel pump issues may therefore be mistaken for one another. Air inlet issue symptoms are perhaps less discernible as my air inlets were bad and replaced but they were not really showing any explicit symptoms(or perhaps masked due to overlapping issues). Advice is to replace air inlets either way though. If someone notices hard fuel cut offs at rpms lower than redline (8500 rpm but as long as the needle is passing 8 it is fine) than suspect the fuel pump. Mclaren Boston WAY back initially did the same and they changed the fuel pump controller, perhaps they should've replaced the real thing...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Glad to hear your issues are resolved! Enjoy the car in good health!
Thank you sir! It has been some ride but the 720s is worth the trouble and much much more, i am sure you can relate ;) i wish you good health as well

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow my friend!! Its been a journey for you and I appreciate you so much for documenting it.. My 720s is literally doing the same thing.. Cuts out 3rd and 4th gear like that. Reading over the document you posted it appears that the metal shavings they found clogging the pickup may be the culprit. I wonder where those came from? Maybe cleaning those out and replacing the fuel filter but keeping the same pump would be okay?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Wow my friend!! Its been a journey for you and I appreciate you so much for documenting it.. My 720s is literally doing the same thing.. Cuts out 3rd and 4th gear like that. Reading over the document you posted it appears that the metal shavings they found clogging the pickup may be the culprit. I wonder where those came from? Maybe cleaning those out and replacing the fuel filter but keeping the same pump would be okay?
Thank you sir!

What you pointed out is indeed noteworthy. I really wasn’t given an answer as to where the shavings came from. I wonder if they would have done further testings if this was not the 3rd time the service center was trying to diagnose the problem. If the fuel pump‘s the origin for the metal shavings, I would expect more damage, so we can assume the origin of the savings preceded the fuel pump (and did not pass the filter). Perhaps a factory defect or a one in a thousand chance that a top tier, 93 grade fuel promising gas station did not service their pumps at all

Edit: I am sorry boss, I can’t assure you nor can I deny that using the same fuel pump again will work (as was designed by mclaren). Also first verify it is not your air inlet pipes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, as long as the filter has no ruptures or the pickup screen, thin poliester fabric bit usually, pump will probably be fine, and can be tested so you are 100% sure. Dealers will replace them given their cost is not that high and having them fault after such a long hour job will give them a bad look, they will have to repeat to repeat the whole tedious disassembling job again and leave a sour taste on the client mouth..
But maybe try fishing the tank with a magnet for metal bits...

101 - 112 of 112 Posts