McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
i wouldn't compare the c8 with anything mclaren is capable of producing.
may or may not be more reliable but driving dynamics won't be there.
and the current c8 is not a benchmark in any category except for purchase price.
Im sorry. I was just joking really. Corvettes are amazing but subjectively so. :)

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That is a great shout, I would add a check of turbos, for sure they are leaking given the fckd cats that gave reason to the downpipes replacement.
Check your oil level. The fuel pump controller is a weird one tho, and given that the second set of injectors comes into play at around that rpm range, there might be something with the injection system, try to run a cleaner berryman chemtool always does the job and won't hurt. Problem might be related to fuel pump, can't mclaren check the fuel pressures on the move?

Attachments

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Oh and cats changed have literally 0 to do with high speed runs 😂 The things people come up with... cats were changed because they were likely wrecked by having too much oil in them, caused usually by a leaking turbo, that in these cars usually comes from inlets getting into the impellers.

By the looks of the video, you will need a second set of cats by now, clean the intake system, IC included, hope and pray there is no plastic that ran inside of the engine and didn't got lodged in there (camera inside of pistons and compression test), change turbos, change inlets and it will be fine. Have them check the fuel pressure again tho while they are at it.

After fixes are made, you can be quite stress free. Inlets have apparently been fixed, you will get new turbos, new cats and hopefuly a long trouble free ownership
Thats a good assessment sir, but i just had the cats replaced like 3 weeks ago. Your comments have both piques my interest and confused me :( heres an invoive from the cats being replaced too

On a sidenote big brother, let us not call others out (i really reaaally appreciate you and restosud assuring me its fine to drive my car fast) because their opinions do have truth to them and stem from personal experiences that might be different from ours (some times unrelatably so), im sure youll see the positivity in unmac's advice if you try. Anyway, leave I REALLY HOPE MY CAR IS FIIIIIINEEEE. I will relay all the info i get from mclaren troy asap

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thats a good assessment sir, but i just had the cats replaced like 3 weeks ago. Your comments have both piques my interest and confused me :( heres an invoive from the cats being replaced too
View attachment 206560
On a sidenote big brother, let us not call others out (i really reaaally appreciate you and restosud assuring me its fine to drive my car fast) because their opinions do have truth to them and stem from personal experiences that might be different from ours (some times unrelatably so), im sure youll see the positivity in unmac's advice if you try. Anyway, leave I REALLY HOPE MY CAR IS FIIIIIINEEEE. I will relay all the info i get from mclaren troy asap
Air leak because i put oil (car said too low before 50 mile hike to diagnose previously on check engine light, suspension light and intermittent engine system fault) and i kinda didnt know how to put the cap back on. I ended up calling mclaren road side assistance to take it to the dealer because i couldnt even figure out how to put the service hatch back on, im veey very mechanically inept.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Air leak because i put oil (car said too low before 50 mile hike to diagnose previously on check engine light, suspension light and intermittent engine system fault) and i kinda didnt know how to put the cap back on. I ended up calling mclaren road side assistance to take it to the dealer because i couldnt even figure out how to put the service hatch back on, im veey very mechanically inept.
Be very careful with the oil cap on the 720s, it's not the easiest cap to screw into place. One day my dealer left it loose after a service, and just as we pulled up to the dealer the following week for a different reason, the car was smoking, oil sprayed all over the rear, and a small flame ignited in front of my eyes as we were checking the engine bay. This same thing happened to another forum member as well. People make mistakes, don't pay attention to the job at hand, things happen, etc. but everything is okay. Side note, on the way to the dealer the day of the incident, the car felt sluggish, probably due to the low pressure with the cap sitting wide open.

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Be very careful with the oil cap on the 720s, it's not the easiest cap to screw into place. One day my dealer left it loose after a service, and just as we pulled up to the dealer the following week for a different reason, the car was smoking, oil sprayed all over the rear, and a small flame ignited in front of my eyes as we were checking the engine bay. This same thing happened to another forum member as well. People make mistakes, don't pay attention to the job at hand, things happen, etc. but everything is okay. Side note, on the way to the dealer the day of the incident, the car felt sluggish, probably due to the low pressure with the cap sitting wide open.
I promise i wont mess with any engines. Everything is unrelated to the oil cap incident though. Umm. If I have to be honest, after i was done putting some oil in and unsuccessfully screwing the cap on i also unsuccessfully put the service cover on(never drove after just wanted to put some oil in to prevent possible engine starvation). And a mile and half in to the journey i was going to the service center in august (to change already bad cats, diagnose bogging issues since march, accumulators etc) the service latch came undone from the front (insert dirty joke here) and i immediately pulled over. Open closer inspection at the engine bay i also noticed the oil cap was visibly lose. I was snailing for the preceding mile or two. Ok i havent complained once but since the topic is coming into play mclaren roadside assistance took 4 hours to get someone to me.

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I promise i wont mess with any engines. Everything is unrelated to the oil cap incident though. Umm. If I have to be honest, after i was done putting some oil in and unsuccessfully screwing the cap on i also unsuccessfully put the service cover on(never drove after just wanted to put some oil in to prevent possible engine starvation). And a mile and half in to the journey i was going to the service center in august (to change already bad cats, diagnose bogging issues since march, accumulators etc) the service latch came undone from the front (insert dirty joke here) and i immediately pulled over. Open closer inspection at the engine bay i also noticed the oil cap was visibly lose. I was snailing for the preceding mile or two. Ok i havent complained once but since the topic is coming into play mclaren roadside assistance took 4 hours to get someone to me.
I formally retracr my complaint because mclaren roadside was actually helping me out and make up for my incompetence.

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Went out to get gas as a courtesy to the dealership before i call roadside assistance (i just put lie 5 gals at a time). Came back and idk why i thought id see if it revs one more time. Engine revs normally. Video attached. Since it purrs again I guess I should hold off taking it to service until more lights come on again.
Sidenote baby: youll hear the suspension going awol on track. Accumulators still need to be changed (repair greenlighted). I imagine this is how the car will always sound like once retired..ah the nostalgia.
Side to sideside: check engine on probably because of bad cats

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Went out to get gas as a courtesy to the dealership before i call roadside assistance (i just put lie 5 gals at a time). Came back and idk why i thought id see if it revs one more time. Engine revs normally. Video attached. Since it purrs again I guess I should hold off taking it to service until more lights come on again.
Sidenote baby: youll hear the suspension going awol on track. Accumulators still need to be changed (repair greenlighted). I imagine this is how the car will always sound like once retired..ah the nostalgia.
Side to sideside: check engine on probably because of bad cats

Im joking about not taking it to service. Its on a truck rn

·
Owner
504 Posts
It really sounds like your turbo hoses are the culprit.

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Gentlemen, I got an email response from my service advisor about my 720s. Heres the bit that matters. Im kind of getting frustrated now.

"In regards to your 720 the check engine light came on due to fuel system adaptions on bank two. Reached its limit. They are currently reading properly. The newest ECM software level is up to date. This probably came on while you were driving pretty fast. Under some conditions this will happen and is normal. We have done two test drives and car is driving great with no check engine light returning. My tech would like to do one more cold start test drive before sending it back to you. I should have it ready Monday or Tuesday at the latest. We are still on hold for the parts we ordered on your last visit. I will update you Monday. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thanks !"

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Should i tell him ill pay and to check the turbo inlet pipes?

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Definitely. Tell them you heard there was a service bulletin for the inlets and see if they will cover the inlet inspection
Thank you. I'll do just that. Tech will be back on Monday, I will make them check the turbos one way or the other. By the way, is it really true what he said, about the problem being normal when driving fast or are they making leaps, it was so frustrating to hear that.

·
Registered
802 Posts
none of the macs or other brands for that matter i've driven have ever had an issue with turning on the MIL whilst going at high speeds!
not sure what to read into the dealer's comments,unless he means the adaptions had not had enough time to set in since the last update or parts replacement your car had.

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
none of the macs or other brands for that matter i've driven have ever had an issue with turning on the MIL whilst going at high speeds!
not sure what to read into the dealer's comments,unless he means the adaptions had not had enough time to set in since the last update or parts replacement your car had.
You know boss, I really dont like the idea of owning a car which had its engine boasted about being driven in dyno simulations around the ring for 48 hours non stop and then having the representative dealer tell me that touching 130mph while driving the car for 30 mins can trigger an engine system fault light and check engine light (FOR THE PAST 6 GOSHDARN MONTHS). Not to even mention the bogging issues. Although I understand the possibility of stress, even my older v12 ferrari, which is a delicate car, can survive a warm engined thrashing (LUCK?) If I end up paying the dealer to get the inlet pipes checked and if they are indeed messed up I might as well burst. If the dealer noted that a specific high stress,high speed driving incident caused a part to go bad or some specific glitch to occur which had not been noticed during all the diagnosis' since March, I wouldve grasped it but this vague answer is confusing

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,668 Posts
Yes your dealer's answer makes no sense. If the turbo inlets check out ok (doubtful) find another dealer for a second opinion.

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yes your dealer's answer makes no sense. If the turbo inlets check out ok (doubtful) find another dealer for a second opinion.
Your reply gives me comfort sir. My service advisor told me that he wants me to be "a happy driver" and that everything should be covered under warranty (after I told him to charge me a higher labor rate if thats what he has to do to fix my car, lmao i was feeling pretty desperate). let's give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they say now. Bad results = ill take my car to chicago as advised

41 - 60 of 62 Posts