·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ignore everything...
L
Lol that was less dramatic than I was expecting
Yes sir the m5 is fantastic and i choose these runs very carefully and ill try not to do it all together. Anyway, let us stay related to the topic for the sake of any one elsw who might be reading Brad. I am hoping to get an update about the 720s by tuesday/wednesday.

Sidenote MAKE SURE MCLAREN GEOMETRY IS SPOT ON

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Mclaren plug it into their computers. They diagnose with the check engine light. They fix whatever is needed to get the check engine light off.

Anything else (ie; checking turbo inlet for example) is a fishing expedition for them. They will make you pay ahead of time if they don't find anything wrong with it.

They have been very clear that a check engine light has to be on and they diagnose from there. If not then not much they can do. It doesn't matter what people on the forums are telling you to get the dealer to check (unless you are a DIY person). Dealers follow certain protocols and the check engine light is the main driver with what they check in your issue. They want to find a problem (they get paid when they find the problem and fix it).

fwiw; the turbo inlet issue for me did not have a check engine light. I noticed on track that the temps went red and the car hesitated. After a few seconds it reverted to green. WOT for 5 seconds then red. Let off then green. No check engine light. Dealer as a favor checked the turbo inlet for me free of charge. This is when they told me that the check engine light has to be on. Otherwise it is a fishing expedition for them and they don't want to waste their time trying to find a problem that probably isn't there.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yes sir, the service advisors always made me feel like what you are saying is indeed the case and I completely understand it. I am sure everyone else would too upon deeper reflection, in this world everything more than required is a favor and i dont mean that to detract anything from mclaren. About lights showing up, youll find that i posted a second video today when the symptoms of the car's problems had exacerbated. Check engine light now on along with engine system fault. Trying to get it to service asap now.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and helping me understand this fishing expedition analogy, it helps understand how things work in the industry a bit better for me. Also just as a note, my car never had any problems with temps until now.

You shouldn't have posted about the 193 mph run's that you are doing... That can be considered abusing the car and can cause warranty problems.

Next time you go out (like the video you did while revving the car in neutral); cycle through the menu screens and show any errors that the car has. It should show up on that screen and post it. I can't remember but the rev's might be limited in neutral (your car was warmed up but generally if it isn't warmed up then the rev's are limited.

the catalytic converter issue that you had is a sign of sustained high speed driving... that sort of gets you on the radar of possibly abusing the car (I only know two people with the catalytic converter issue and they both had thousands and thousands of track miles on their car's).

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
·
Yes sir, the service advisors always made me feel like what you are saying is indeed the case and I completely understand it. I am sure everyone else would too upon deeper reflection, in this world everything more than required is a favor and i dont mean that to detract anything from mclaren. About lights showing up, youll find that i posted a second video today when the symptoms of the car's problems had exacerbated. Check engine light now on along with engine system fault. Trying to get it to service asap now.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and helping me understand this fishing expedition analogy, you helped me understand how things work in the industry a bit better. Also just as a note, my car never had any problems with temps until now.

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
You shouldn't have posted about the 193 mph run's that you are doing... That can be considered abusing the car and can cause warranty problems.

Next time you go out (like the video you did while revving the car in neutral); cycle through the menu screens and show any errors that the car has. It should show up on that screen and post it. I can't remember but the rev's might be limited in neutral (your car was warmed up but generally if it isn't warmed up then the rev's are limited.

the catalytic converter issue that you had is a sign of sustained high speed driving... that sort of gets you on the radar of possibly abusing the car (I only know two people with the catalytic converter issue and they both had thousands and thousands of track miles on their car's).
Thank you so much for all the advice. I am truly going to make a note of them. Too many people have been put in bad situations due to spewing from their mouths too much (including me, quite a few times actually). l found that if we pul all things on the dynamics panel on track, the car revs up fast to 7k plus on idle if it is warmed. youll see it revving up slow and capped to around 5k in my video and it was the same case while driving (info just as a note boss). Also, I really would like to have my car at 200mph sometimes, it makes me feel completely at one with it but if doing so means im stressing it too much ill lay off for the sake of the wonderful machine.

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Had to take the car out for sth. Checked for messages while running it, none shown, thought maybe itll rev again, tried it but its not revving at all, quite violently so, so im not going to further stress the car and leave it be till it gets checked. Heres the video...i do have a life ok

Sidenote how much are you gonna bet most c8 zo6's with flat plane crank v8's revving to 8500rpm will last till 60k miles flawlessly? Id get one and give it to charity in your name if it didnt. MCLARENS FOR LIFE!! PLEASE DONT SMITE ME

·
Registered
802 Posts
don't drive it anymore and have it trucked to dealer. and forget about the top speed run thing. if mclaren claims abuse from that than they need to get out of the supercar business.
last video has a buzzing or low pitch whining sound but hard to say with certainty on my subrate computer.baffles being chewed up by compressor wheels perhaps? just some armchair diagnosis.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i wouldn't compare the c8 with anything mclaren is capable of producing.
may or may not be more reliable but driving dynamics won't be there.
and the current c8 is not a benchmark in any category except for purchase price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
get your turbo air intake tubes checked for a possible loose baffle.
That is a great shout, I would add a check of turbos, for sure they are leaking given the fckd cats that gave reason to the downpipes replacement.
Check your oil level. The fuel pump controller is a weird one tho, and given that the second set of injectors comes into play at around that rpm range, there might be something with the injection system, try to run a cleaner berryman chemtool always does the job and won't hurt. Problem might be related to fuel pump, can't mclaren check the fuel pressures on the move?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh and cats changed have literally 0 to do with high speed runs 😂 The things people come up with... cats were changed because they were likely wrecked by having too much oil in them, caused usually by a leaking turbo, that in these cars usually comes from inlets getting into the impellers.

By the looks of the video, you will need a second set of cats by now, clean the intake system, IC included, hope and pray there is no plastic that ran inside of the engine and didn't got lodged in there (camera inside of pistons and compression test), change turbos, change inlets and it will be fine. Have them check the fuel pressure again tho while they are at it.

After fixes are made, you can be quite stress free. Inlets have apparently been fixed, you will get new turbos, new cats and hopefuly a long trouble free ownership

·
Registered
2018, Mclaren, 720s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
don't drive it anymore and have it trucked to dealer. and forget about the top speed run thing. if mclaren claims abuse from that than they need to get out of the supercar business.
last video has a buzzing or low pitch whining sound but hard to say with certainty on my subrate computer.baffles being chewed up by compressor wheels perhaps? just some armchair diagnosis.
Thanks for the reply big boss, ill get the transportation for it sorted as well. Hopefully, ill get an appointment soon. I dont want to think about potential escalation of the situation. Only thing i can say for sure is there is no way it will rev high and give boost as youll see in the previous second video of mine (wheee the buzzing is present) it does rev higher on idle when everything on track but doing so enable engine system fault warning to come on probably the mclaren saying PLEASE STOP.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts