McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my thinking… I have 2016 650s spider with 23k miles on it. I think the market is peaked and the dealer is offering me a good deal to trade it in. I can get into a 2020 720s spider for $330k with 7k miles one owner. Original sticker on it $395,000. I’d rather not double my monthly payments since I probably only plan on having the car for 2-3 years. Woodside has the longer loan options which keeps the monthly payment down and I don’t think the 720s will depreciate another $100k+ (between 20% down payment and payments over 2 years) in the next 2-3 years so I won’t be upside down on the loan when I want to sell. Am I looking at this all wrong or is my logic somewhat logical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
The difficult thing here, from what I have learned, is that sale price can widely vary from asking price. I have seen a lot of asking proces remain pretty close, but then hear selling prices were much different.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The difficult thing here, from what I have learned, is that sale price can widely vary from asking price. I have seen a lot of asking proces remain pretty close, but then hear selling prices were much different.
Thank you. This was my point. Unless you are privy to inside information provided by dealers - auctions are real world sales and indicative of what buyers are paying.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
642 Posts
This is my thinking… I have 2016 650s spider with 23k miles on it. I think the market is peaked and the dealer is offering me a good deal to trade it in. I can get into a 2020 720s spider for $330k with 7k miles one owner. Original sticker on it $395,000. I’d rather not double my monthly payments since I probably only plan on having the car for 2-3 years. Woodside has the longer loan options which keeps the monthly payment down and I don’t think the 720s will depreciate another $100k+ (between 20% down payment and payments over 2 years) in the next 2-3 years so I won’t be upside down on the loan when I want to sell. Am I looking at this all wrong or is my logic somewhat logical?

I know of a 2020 Glacier White 720s spider with 7xxx miles on it and a $391k sticker you can get for less than $330k...PM me if interested.

·
Registered
65 Posts
BAT auction results aren't actual sales. You're not obligated to buy when you win the auction.
Real auctions are, BAT isn't.
Is it necessary to be pedantic? lol. Look, I understand that you may have had a bad experience with BAT. Occasionally, you may get a dead beat bidder who does not fulfill his/her obligation and gets banned from the site. Sales agreements can go south in whichever venue you are buying/selling (this includes traditional auctions). BAT is another data point and a decent gauge of what the actual market value of a particular car is. Non-sales (those that do not meet reserve) also contribute to the picture.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Is it necessary to be pedantic? lol. Look, I understand that you may have had a bad experience with BAT. Occasionally, you may get a dead beat bidder who does not fulfill his/her obligation and gets banned from the site. Sales agreements can go south in whichever venue you are buying/selling (this includes traditional auctions). BAT is another data point and a decent gauge of what the actual market value of a particular car is. Non-sales (those that do not meet reserve) also contribute to the picture.
It's not just me. The same thing happened to the suburban supercar guy recently. BAT has never been a good gauge of the actual market.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I thought this was a terrible price for OP, but the comparables make it look only slightly inflated. Still, there are hundreds of 720 available on autotrader, and quite a few under 300. Lower spec high mileage cars. But the market isn’t going to hold these prices for much longer with this level of supply…

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I thought this was a terrible price for OP, but the comparables make it look only slightly inflated. Still, there are hundreds of 720 available on autotrader, and quite a few under 300. Lower spec high mileage cars. But the market isn’t going to hold these prices for much longer with this level of supply…
higher trade in price makes getting higher 720 price a different type of thing then what everyone seems to be thinking here . Sales tax credit impact also .

BAT and auctions are a stupid thing . Wholesale market with cars that don’t really sell otherwise.

Too many financial analysts on car forums these days . Try asking a dealer or a seller to match a price of a used car that’s for sale elsewhere . They’ll probably ask you why you don’t just buy that other car anyways .

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Too many financial analysts on car forums these days . Try asking a dealer or a seller to match a price of a used car that’s for sale elsewhere . They’ll probably ask you why you don’t just buy that other car anyways .
Not true, this is exactly what I did. They ended up matching the price and including the ESC.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

Car prices are coming down and 720 is going to soften. That 330k car will be. 250k when it’s time for you to sell. With interest rates skyrocketing, the chips supply coming back to normal, recession (second one) on the horizon, no where for prices to go but down. Buy accordingly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts