McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking at two 2011 cars here in the UK, very similar spec, both Titanium Silver, main difference is carbon mirrors & engine trim + lightweight alloys on he more expensive car on a lower mileage (1k miles). The cheaper car has around 4k miles. I know the difference in mileage is really nothing in the ordinary world, but how mileage sensitive are the values of these cars. It is quite a difference in price (15k GBP). Any thoughts on the best choice?

·
Registered
213 Posts
IMHO, go for the lower priced car. Ie the cheaper one.

Or try gaming the seller of the lower miled car to come down halfway and find a common ground. This way, you could get the lower driven car for a more reasonable price.

·
Registered
271 Posts
buy the car you prefer and try to negotiate a better price. The first owner already took a big depreciation. good luck

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
What's the retail cost of the extra options on the more expensive car? I would subtract that from 15K, then offer to meet them half way on the rest of the premium. If they don't take it, buy the cheaper one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
buy the car you prefer and try to negotiate a better price. The first owner already took a big depreciation. good luck
+1. Get the one you *want. *. Super cars are irrational. You are already making the rational decision by buying used.

Now get the one you won't second guess a month after buying. :D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Must admit I have to be able to live with my choice so I would get the one that appeals but get the price down. They are mileage sensitive but £15k difference is excessive for such a small difference.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
In real terms there is only about a 6k difference from new i think,so get the one you want and haggle:)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Get the black one
No honestly get the one that hits you and says I LOVE IT because you will
Buy now they will go UP ! ! ! !

·
Registered
964 Posts
Buy now they will go UP ! ! ! !
woohoo!! ;)

The carbon is an expensive option but for some (me included ) it's not essential...After saying that though, I'm so pleased I had it on the engine covers- so much easier to clean :)
The dealers do seem keen to move, so agreat time to buy.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This is my buyer's remorse speech:

When faced with two options, one priced where you're comfortable (but not quite what you want), and the other priced where you're not comfortable (but is what you want), ALWAYS go with the one you WANT.

In two months, the sting of the money difference will be gone, and you'll be in the car you wanted (and you'll be reminded of that constantly!).

If you go for the cheaper one, in two months, the money difference is in your pocket but you can no longer trade it for the one you want (and you'll be reminded every time you use it that it wasn't quite what you wanted).

So - negotiate for the one you want, but NEVER buy the one you don't want for any reason (especially pricing).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I quite like the carbon engine cover & carbon mirror housings but the lack of either or both is not a deal breaker. Is it very expensive to add later? The whole MSO thing should theoretically make it easy to update/upgrade such things, a service not offered by any other manufacturer as far as I know; however I suspect it is very expensive.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Rather than doing mirror caps - a really nice effect is to leave the caps body colored, and get the MSO carbon fibre mirror arms. They'll contrast terrifically with the Titanium body/mirrors.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Buy the best color bar none and not worry about the vanity carbon mirrors:D just get a black one , pm me I know a lovely one for sale great spec

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you can afford either one, make the best deal you can on the one you like the best. Life is too short and you deserve to enjoy yourself. :D:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I totally agree with what's being said, every time I've gone for the cheaper option its bitten me in the arse. If your in the fortunate position to get what you want go for it.
Jake,

Ps : jealous as all hell right here.:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts