McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - and I apologize in advance for asking a question I know can be answered by thread-searching (I've seen it, but just can't find it again).

I was hoping someone could direct me to where wheel weight was discussed? Specifically, the ACTUAL weight of the various wheel options. When the 12C came out, we were told that Lightweights were 12% lighter than the standard wheel, and that SuperLights were 22% lighter - but they never said what the standard wheels actually weigh! It would be even more help if we had an idea of what rears vs. fronts weigh...

Again - sorry to be redundant, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I buckled a rear wheel earlier in the year and weighed the damaged wheel when i got it back, 14kg or so if i remember right, is the superlight option.

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
I wish there were more wheel options with weights provided. Nothing from BBS so far. I'm specifically interested in a 19/20 forged aluminum in under 22lbs rear and 19lbs front.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I poked around in the data I have collected and don't see any figures either.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Hey, that smart guy is right, and I forgot I had a copy of the brochure. It says:

The five-spoke Lightweight Forged Wheels have a technical look and save 6kg, or 12%, when compared with the standard cast wheels. The 10-spoke Super-Lightweight Forged Wheels offer a pure performance look and are a total of 10kg lighter – a 20% weight saving.
At first I was confused as I assumed they would be talking about a single wheel, but they are referring to a set of four, hence the word "wheels". Duh... ;)

Here are the numbers both ways.

Standard wheels:

50 kgs or 110.2 lbs for a set of four

12.5 kgs or 27.6 lbs per wheel

5-spoke Lightweight Forged wheels:

44 kgs or 97.0 lbs for a set of four

11 kgs or 24.3 lbs per wheel

10-spoke Super Lightweight Forged wheels:

40 kgs or 88.2 lbs for a set of four

10 kgs or 22.0 lbs per wheel

Per wheel weights are going to be a bit skewed given the two sizes F/R but I didn't want to hazard a guess so that's close enough.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Convert
398 Posts
Just as an FYI, these are not the prettiest, but they are definitely the lightest forged mono bloc wheel that I have found... OZ Superforgiatas.

The actual weight of these wheels are 16.3lbs for the front, and 19.9lbs for the rear in OEM diameter and offsets.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
They look a lot like the super light weights. I wonder if these, the super light weights, and the 50th anniversary rims are more likely to bend/warp/get damaged?

Realities of NYC driving have me hesitant

·
McLaren Convert
398 Posts
The static load rating on for 19s on my 997 GT2 were 415 kg and 625 kg for the rear.

It had a front gross axle weight of 651 kg or 325 kg per wheel and a rear gross axle weight 1057 kgs, or 528 kg per wheel. So OZ provided more than sufficient static load rating for the platform.

Anyone have axle weights for the 12C?

·
McLaren Convert
398 Posts
Here they are on my car...like I said, not exactly pretty, but got the job done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
OZ superforgiatas. The actual weight of these wheels are 16.3lbs for the front, and 19.9lbs for the rear in OEM diameter and offsets.

Now, that is lightweight!!! Pretty or not I'd rock that wheel in a heartbeat. Where can I buy them?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Now, that is lightweight!!! Pretty or not I'd rock that wheel in a heartbeat. Where can I buy them?
Looks like you can get them off of www.tirerack.com I think there was a link posted above, but I just went over there and could see they had several sizes available.

-nh4.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for their help. Of course, the ONE place I didn't think of looking was the brochure! Doing the math after that was a doddle. Very much appreciate it, y'all!!!

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Finally getting around to reading the Top Gear magazine review of the P1 and noticed in one of the sidebars there are listed wheel weights. Figured I would add them to this thread for comparison and future reference.

[F] 19" x 9" = 7.94 kg or 17.50 lbs

[R] 20" x 11.5" = 9.72 kg or 21.43 lbs

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Each wheel is half an inch wider than the ones fitted to the 12C so for starters we'd need to know the offset to determine clearance. Also McLaren may not want to sell these wheels to non-P1 customers - who knows?

That's really a question for McLaren you could pose through your dealer.

>8^)
ER

1 - 18 of 18 Posts