McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the active button is not pushed or "active" what mode are you in? Comfort, comfort? Has anyone ever determined the logic or function of having the active button?

·
Registered
923 Posts
It’s between comfort and sport per the literature.

The active button lets u manually deploy the spoiler besides accessing the dials. I think many people like drive in track for power train. The mapping gives it a more aggressive throttle response and holds the revs. But maybe sport suspension. So active button to activate a 2 step function?

but It’s just a big nanny switch

·
Registered
788 Posts
If the active button is not pushed or "active" what mode are you in? Comfort, comfort? Has anyone ever determined the logic or function of having the active button?
It has also perplexed me of why they have the active button.

just fyi - on the car display it will show what mode you are in. "non active"

The dial settings are not "activated" until you press that button (manual, aero, track, track, etc.).

Since you just received the car...a tip for you so that you don't crash it and a major reason why you need to be careful in letting someone else drive the car when you aren't around.... How to activate the lifter (this part is easy); press the button on the end of the stalk on the right side of the wheel, then push the stalk up and the car will start to lift. However, once you want it to go back down then do NOT press the same button at the end of the stalk (the lifter is activated and all you have to do is just push the stalk back down).

You'll know that you have done it wrong if you mistakenly put on the speed limiter (you won't know you have done this and will give throttle and nothing will happen and you will see in your display that the limiter has been engaged -20 mph). You will give more throttle while you try to figure it out and keep playing with the stalk and you wind up taking off the limiter but you are still giving it throttle and the car will zoom. It will be a scary experience.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
720S Without Active mode the default is Sport Handling and Comfort Performance.

·
Registered
923 Posts
. How to activate the lifter (this part is easy); press the button on the end of the stalk on the right side of the wheel, then push the stalk up and the car will start to lift. However, once you want it to go back down then do NOT press the same button at the end of the stalk (the lifter is activated and all you have to do is just push the stalk back down).
just a heads up. If you have a 2019 or 2020. They changed the lift. So there is no stalk motion. Just push the button on the end.

·
Registered
788 Posts
just a heads up. If you have a 2019 or 2020. They changed the lift. So there is no stalk motion. Just push the button on the end.
I’ll check to see if the software update i just received will allow the same thing .

·
Registered
32 Posts
How to activate the lifter (this part is easy); press the button on the end of the stalk on the right side of the wheel, then push the stalk up and the car will start to lift....
I notice on my 720 that all I have to do is push the button on the end of the stalk. No need to flick the stalk up or down. If it's up, it will start going down, and if it is down then it will start going up. Mine is a 2019 model if that makes a difference.

Edit: I guess everyone else also pointed this out :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
That is how my 2020 works.

Joe

·
Owner
370 Posts
It has also perplexed me of why they have the active button.

just fyi - on the car display it will show what mode you are in. "non active"

The dial settings are not "activated" until you press that button (manual, aero, track, track, etc.).

Since you just received the car...a tip for you so that you don't crash it and a major reason why you need to be careful in letting someone else drive the car when you aren't around.... How to activate the lifter (this part is easy); press the button on the end of the stalk on the right side of the wheel, then push the stalk up and the car will start to lift. However, once you want it to go back down then do NOT press the same button at the end of the stalk (the lifter is activated and all you have to do is just push the stalk back down).

You'll know that you have done it wrong if you mistakenly put on the speed limiter (you won't know you have done this and will give throttle and nothing will happen and you will see in your display that the limiter has been engaged -20 mph). You will give more throttle while you try to figure it out and keep playing with the stalk and you wind up taking off the limiter but you are still giving it throttle and the car will zoom. It will be a scary experience.
I did this accidentally and was like - WTF did I just do??!! I am in a 45 mph zone and going only about 20 mph and I am beginning to rack up traffic behind me. LOL. I pulled over on the next intersection, shut if off and restarted it - all well then. When I got home, I researched it and figured it out. From now on, that is my "pit-stop speed limiter" function. hahahaha.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did this accidentally and was like - WTF did I just do??!! I am in a 45 mph zone and going only about 20 mph and I am beginning to rack up traffic behind me. LOL. I pulled over on the next intersection, shut if off and restarted it - all well then. When I got home, I researched it and figured it out. From now on, that is my "pit-stop speed limiter" function. hahahaha.
That should be a sticky for 2018 models if it has not been corrected through software.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was reading the manual yesterday. Yea I know, I am that way. This is my understanding of the active button and how it relates to stability control in particular.

I am going to stick to active sport and track only for this discussion.
If you are in Active Sport or Track, Active Aero is on, Launch control is available, ESC button is available.
Pressing the active button alone in Sport or Track does not effect the level of stability control.
To lessen the level of intervention of the Stability control briefly press the ESC button to enter dynamic mode. The level of intervention is now diminished and it is less in Track mode then Sport.
A further level of adjustment can be achieved by using the Variable drift control for both Sport and Track.
You can turn Electronic Stability Control off by pushing the ESC button for 2 seconds with a confirmation push in 5 seconds. Now you are on your own.

I believe that is correct.

The question is when do you want to use these tools. Where is a good place to start?

Warm day good traction on the street, Sport mode, ESC dynamic mode?
Track Day good traction, Track Mode, ESC dynamic mode?

Do you want to mess with the Variable drift? I guess over time on the track if you feel the car intervening too much you could begin to notch it up. My concern is that you can't always easily feel it cutting power. The answer might be go experiment but I can't it is too cold and I'd like a foundation.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I was reading the manual yesterday. Yea I know, I am that way. This is my understanding of the active button and how it relates to stability control in particular.

I am going to stick to active sport and track only for this discussion.
If you are in Active Sport or Track, Active Aero is on, Launch control is available, ESC button is available.
Pressing the active button alone in Sport or Track does not effect the level of stability control.
To lessen the level of intervention of the Stability control briefly press the ESC button to enter dynamic mode. The level of intervention is now diminished and it is less in Track mode then Sport.
A further level of adjustment can be achieved by using the Variable drift control for both Sport and Track.
You can turn Electronic Stability Control off by pushing the ESC button for 2 seconds with a confirmation push in 5 seconds. Now you are on your own.

I believe that is correct.

The question is when do you want to use these tools. Where is a good place to start?

Warm day good traction on the street, Sport mode, ESC dynamic mode?
Track Day good traction, Track Mode, ESC dynamic mode?

Do you want to mess with the Variable drift? I guess over time on the track if you feel the car intervening too much you could begin to notch it up. My concern is that you can't always easily feel it cutting power. The answer might be go experiment but I can't it is too cold and I'd like a foundation.
This is a very interesting topic.

I don't think I have ever driven in ESC dynamic mode on city streets.

On track; it is a MUST as a minimum to be in ESC dynamic mode (all levels of drivers). The power cut is real severe and noticeable and especially coming out of slow speed turns. It is real severe, annoyingly severe. Even scarier for the general novice because when the power comes back on it is so immediate that they aren't ready for it.

I've used variable drift (4th bar) in conjunction with ESC dynamic mode. I didn't feel much of a difference being in variable drift with this setting.

In ESC dynamic mode; the power will cut but it is not noticeable. The easiest way I have noticed this is at Laguna Seca as you are cresting towards Turn 1 (I can see from my telemetry that the speedometer rolls back about 2 mph at 100% throttle. This also happens in 600 LT).

The rear tail lights will flash when the ESC is being cut. I have seen this following another 600 LT and he didn't brake or let off the throttle. I have seen this from a friends gopro behind me when my rear lights flashed and I wasn't braking either (this is 600 LT. No one has told me this when behind me in 720s).

Brake steer or maybe ESC intervention. The 600 LT video file has speed, gear, acceleration % and braking (bar). I have noticed that at 100% acceleration, you will see the "0" BAR flickr (flickr many times. It could be the ESC intervention or more likely the brake steer). You will also see the braking spike on 720s (even at 100% acceleration), when you analyze the telemetry. The braking is flat lined but when you monitor the right side of the telemetry software you will see it go from anywhere from 6 to 14 as you are accelerating 100%. This is not noticeable though while you are driving.

I have driven 600 LT with ESC all off and didn't notice much difference between dynamic and all off. I don't have the balls to have ESC all off in 720s.

Here's a video of 600 LT (ESC dynamic mode). Keep an eye on the BAR. You will see it continually flicker even under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Messing with traction control on the street isn't really worth while (obviously if you don't know what you're doing don't mess with traction control in a 700whp car). Where can you really test out the ESC on road besides drifting a U-turn, open parking lot, or just mashing the gas from a stop? The ESC features are really made for the track. I guess having an active button is just part of the fun of these cars. It is cool pushing it and listening to all the systems make their adjustments, feeling and hearing the spoiler go up & adjust, suspension whine, etc. With Powertrain in Track mode the shifts are smooth, unlike the kicks you'd get in P-Sport, and the engine note within the cabin gets noticeably louder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts