McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the performance of the rear wing of the 12C?

I'm not talking about the air brake, just the active aero setting in which the rear wing is partially raised. How much downforce does it provide and at what speed?

·
Registered
886 Posts
It makes more in the aero setting.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I actually like the looks of the car better when the wing is partially raised.

·
Registered
67 Posts
downforce

mclaren p1 about 1320 lbs (600 kilos) /125 mph.

mclaren 12c about 220 lbs. (100 kilos) /125 mph.

let's say that the 12c would have had 1320 lbs, that would equal to about 1 sec/lap for every 220 lbs /100 kilos of downforce. as long as the tires are up for it. add 5 times to it, makes about 5 sec/lap. on top of that, 903 bhp + torque curve of 664 lb ft. ferrari fxx territories even shod with showroom tires? would not be shocked:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you haven't done so already, go out to a safe, twisty, bumpy road and drive at a similar (high) speed with active aero disengaged and another time with it engaged.

You should feel the steering feedback tighten (even when driving in a relatively straight line) and the car stick so firmly to the road that it feels like your in an open wheel race car with a sizable wing.

Active aero is an AMAZING tool! It brings out an even more impressive side of the car I didn't realize existed, nor could exist on the road.

You also don't have to be going 125 mph to experience this. Let's say, for discussion purposes only and only on private roads and tracks, that it kicks in rather generously around 80 mph.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also curious to know how much drag it will create when raised. Let's say in 1/2mi or 1mi straight line race, should one race with Active Aero On or Off or it won't make any difference?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Also curious to know how much drag it will create when raised. Let's say in 1/2mi or 1mi straight line race, should one race with Active Aero On or Off or it won't make any difference?
Depends on how much money is on the race. Cars are always faster in a straight line with less drag.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You want the wing down for strait line speed.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
At last years Houston half mile aero knocked about 3,5 mph off speed through the traps

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
157.5 official top speed in the half mile, pre V10 upgrade and without using launch. I saw 160 once but it wasn't officially and perhaps our speedos are a little optimistic. I'm running the half- mile again in May and am looking for 162-165 this time, should be do-able easily, especially if this lovely cool morning weather keeps up

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
157.5 official top speed in the half mile, pre V10 upgrade and without using launch. I saw 160 once but it wasn't officially and perhaps our speedos are a little optimistic. I'm running the half- mile again in May and am looking for 162-165 this time, should be do-able easily, especially if this lovely cool morning weather keeps up
Excellent, thanks for the reply.
I'm at a 30-130 event in a couple of weeks with a 1.5 mile runway to play on for a top speed run. So, its 3 times as long, I should get 3 times more speed, that's about 480. Brilliant.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the reply.
I'm at a 30-130 event in a couple of weeks with a 1.5 mile runway to play on for a top speed run. So, its 3 times as long, I should get 3 times more speed, that's about 480. Brilliant.
Bruntingthorpe?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't know about a 1.5 mile run, but I've done the Texas Mile quite a few times in my GT and my MG-Chevy. I think the 12 c on the right day is a 195+mph car in the mile, which sort of sucks as they'd give me a hard time about lack of five-point harness etc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts