McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
My 12C has this weird quirk where the AC only blows cold after I hit boost. It’ll stay cold for an average of 10 mins before going back to just blowing warm air. That is until I give it the sauce again and it goes back to cold air. Has anybody else encountered this issue and/or have a solution for it? It was amusing at first but gets irritating on longer trips.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey everyone
My 12C has this weird quirk where the AC only blows cold after I hit boost. It’ll stay cold for an average of 10 mins before going back to just blowing warm air. That is until I give it the sauce again and it goes back to cold air. Has anybody else encountered this issue and/or have a solution for it? It was amusing at first but gets irritating on longer trips.
I have similar issue
in traffic hot day the AC air not cold enough get colder when car start moving

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what gauge and what was it showing,temp outside,engine idling,cooling fans were on etc...?
also, the ac has to be set colder than what is normal. meaning the set temp really needs to be set to 69 or 70 to achieve 72.
I meant the gauge on the bottle of refrigerant. It shows pressure in the system. On mine it was showing full with the AC at full blast and on the coldest setting.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah didn’t actually put anything in but it said r134a refrigerant and had a low pressure service port so I figured it was fine. If this is wrong then what would be the correct way to service it?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
nothing really wrong with the product in the can but reading the high and low pressure is preferred and those can's gauge are far from being a paragon of accuracy. what is indicated on the gauge is not valid for all vehicles.
proper way is to vacuum system out and charge with recommended amount but adding can work with accurate gauges and temperature readings.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nothing really wrong with the product in the can but reading the high and low pressure is preferred and those can's gauge are far from being a paragon of accuracy. what is indicated on the gauge is not valid for all vehicles.
proper way is to vacuum system out and charge with recommended amount but adding can work with accurate gauges and temperature readings.
Alright thanks for the help
I’ll find somewhere to get it taken care of

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright so little update on this
It was a little low on refrigerant so we added some using more accurate gauges and got it to where it needed to be. This improved the rate at which it cools down but unfortunately after a few minutes of driving it goes back to blowing non cool air. That is until I again hit boost. Any more ideas?
White Automotive tire Asphalt Bicycle handlebar Road surface

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update for those bored or interested
Just had the whole system properly drained and refilled to factory specs. Turns out I was low .6lbs
Of the 1.8 needed.
unfortunately this did not fix the issue. What would be the next logical thing to check/replace?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have same issue .. took to dealer car on extended warranty they didn’t cover filling the system .
To them it’s maintenance item and system not failing ..so they didn’t cover adding r132a
But still same issue on idle hot day still not cold enough.. and some times while driving get cold then hot
Are all have same issue .. is it possible the compressor ..
Dealers tested all ok

1 - 20 of 23 Posts