McLaren Life banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

Registered
2012 MP4-12C
I wouldn鈥檛 be surprised if it鈥檚 even longer now. Not a huge deal though. I never even noticed it driving the car. The last thing I want to do it take in in the the dealer before I get a chance to drive it a bunch. 馃榿
They won't keep it that whole time. Hell mine didn't leave my house. They came and replaced it at my house.

Registered
The issue is the nearest dealer is 3 hours away, so I was thinking they would come pick it up when the new windshield came in, and then deliver it to me when they were done, but if they can do it on site, even better.

Registered
On a different windshield topic... (that being rock chips leading to cracks) ...
My windshield repair guy said today the worst place to get a rock chip is near an A pilar as that is the area that has the most flex
and flex can cause a crack eminating from what appears to be a simple chip .
So best to get a rock chip looked after quickly especially if near side of windshield
He also said hot weather is the busy season for crack due to heat expansion
Never spray hose water onto a hot windshield if the hose has been lying in the shade for instance

Registered
Interesting. It could be antenna. Here are some pics.

These are on the passenger side

This one is in the center
Those aren鈥檛 stress cracks those are antennas. I think. They look exactly like mine. That is the weird shape of the antenna. Take a small sharpie (don鈥檛 worry rubbing alcohol will get it off) and mark the ends. If it doesn鈥檛 grow, it鈥檚 not a stress crack. If it is it grows every drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered

See. They鈥檙e exactly like yours. I did however get a stress crack on my first track day. I received the revised windshield after. I believe yours is probably revised.

Registered
2012 MP4-12C
The issue is the nearest dealer is 3 hours away, so I was thinking they would come pick it up when the new windshield came in, and then deliver it to me when they were done, but if they can do it on site, even better.
A 3rd party installed mine, the same 3rd party that would have done it at the dealer for them. The nearest dealer to me is a 90 minute drive.

On a different windshield topic... (that being rock chips leading to cracks) ...
My windshield repair guy said today the worst place to get a rock chip is near an A pilar as that is the area that has the most flex
and flex can cause a crack eminating from what appears to be a simple chip .
So best to get a rock chip looked after quickly especially if near side of windshield
He also said hot weather is the busy season for crack due to heat expansion
Never spray hose water onto a hot windshield if the hose has been lying in the shade for instance
The whole reason 600LT windshields break on their own is because of that minor flex that happens in those points, the windshield is too thin.

Those aren鈥檛 stress cracks those are antennas. I think. They look exactly like mine. That is the weird shape of the antenna. Take a small sharpie (don鈥檛 worry rubbing alcohol will get it off) and mark the ends. If it doesn鈥檛 grow, it鈥檚 not a stress crack. If it is it grows every drive.

I thought the antennas looked different than that, I feel like I saw lines that ran straight down, not curved like that, and only on 1 side. Maybe they changed it? The fact that it doesn't appear to "crack" at the black spots would indicate antenna though. I'm not a 600LT expert though, so take that for what it is.

Registered
No the antennaes curve somewhat. If it鈥檚 stress crack you can sort of see light distortion through them. I have a 720S now and it鈥檚 the same kind of antennae. I鈥檓 still active on these threads tho cuz I don鈥檛 have much to do these days, but have some info to share.

Registered

See. They鈥檙e exactly like yours. I did however get a stress crack on my first track day. I received the revised windshield after. I believe yours is probably revised.

Interesting. Yeah, those look exactly the same, so maybe it鈥檚 fine then. Thanks for posting the pictures!

Registered
One of two main reasons why such things occur in this situation. First is the quality of the craftsmanship of the glass. Secondly the interior design and structural elements inside the body line where the glass meets the body mold and gasket. Somewhere likely inside the rim where the gasket meets the edge of the windshield is just sharp enough to hairline fracture the glass and given that it broke in the same area that's likely the problem. So someone needs to take the time and feel for any abnormalities and to even replace the rubber gasket to eliminate any and all reasons why this issue is happening. Hope you resolve this problem.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts