McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I drove the car once since the crack showed up. It expanded by a few inches and is now right in the middle of my view forward, curving up the windshield. It’s still growing on its own. It doesn’t feel safe to drive the car both because of the distraction and the the likelihood of it crazing unexpectedly. Both my dealer and McLaren corporate (US support line) concurred with that decision. The dealer is waiting for the part and McLaren US doesn’t know when it’ll arrive. If McLaren is like every other auto manufacturer, they’re allocating parts to new production over warranty repairs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have some information that may help: I learned that the real issue is a rivet in the windshield surface/seat that is causing the fractures. If this is not properly filed down at the factory or during windshield replacement, then it will likely crack again. Also, McLaren is still honoring the warranty on windshields on 600s.

Kurt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Very interesting regarding the rivet. In my weekly chat with McLaren US, they were unaware of this. If you have a specific source for this information, it’d be very helpful. It would explain the problem and provide a fix. Of course, it would also help if my <insert expletive> windshield showed up...40 days now and counting.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very interesting regarding the rivet. In my weekly chat with McLaren US, they were unaware of this. If you have a specific source for this information, it’d be very helpful. It would explain the problem and provide a fix. Of course, it would also help if my <insert expletive> windshield showed up...40 days now and counting.
I was told this by the folks at McLaren Beverly Hills when picking up my new 600LT last week. I made the joke about "how long will it take for my windshield to crack" and the General Manager there, Chris, told me they finally figured out the cause. He, like most of us, thought about putting the 570 glass in some of his cars with cracks given that glass was thicker but was told by McLaren that would not work because the real cause was this rivet in the A pillar. It creates a pressure point if not filed down correctly. If you dealership is unaware, I would tell them to contact McLaren or even BH to get the full details.

Kurt

·
Registered
26 Posts
I talked with McLaren US about this. The support guy — I think his name is spelled Sheikh — is very helpful and he’s going to check this rivet thing out with the main US tech and spread the word to dealers if necessary.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Wow if that is what the fix is did the rivet.grinder guy go awol and came back?? weird it is so random and missed on that many cars

Glad if that is the fix for all owners sanity.

Is it same for 720s?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my second crack in less than 2k miles - I have my dealer tow the car to and from service - not gonna waste my time or mileage for this

·
Registered
168 Posts
Got my first crack at the track after 5,500 miles. I thought I was going to be free of this issue! Called McLaren roadside and it was fixed within a week and a half.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Picked up my new 570S in May this year. 4 months later and with 2k miles on the clock my windshield cracked. Waited 5 weeks for a replacement and then another 3 weeks while it was at the dealer being installed and having various issues looked at.

Got the car back at the beginning of this week and hoping it doesn't happen again. Not feeling too optimistic as my service advisor said they are seeing cars coming back with recurring cracked windshields.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
699 Posts
Picked up my new 570S in May this year. 4 months later and with 2k miles on the clock my windshield cracked. Waited 5 weeks for a replacement and then another 3 weeks while it was at the dealer being installed and having various issues looked at.

Got the car back at the beginning of this week and hoping it doesn't happen again. Not feeling too optimistic as my service advisor said they are seeing cars coming back with recurring cracked windshields.
I was told there was a bad batch of windshields from the manufacturer, so they've had a ton of breakages on arrival to dealers or shortly after owning it. That would explain why it took 4 months to get a windshield for my 12C. The first one took 5 days and had a defect in it, months later they received one broken, and more months later I got a good one. They're so far behind on having extras because they're making so many cars and so many are breaking.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Digging up an old thread here, but I just recently bought a used 600LT. It’s a 2019 with about 2400 miles on it. I noticed three hairline cracks in the windshield today.

Will the warranty cover it, even though it’s used?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Digging up an old thread here, but I just recently bought a used 600LT. It’s a 2019 with about 2400 miles on it. I noticed three hairline cracks in the windshield today.

yes warranty will cover. It’s a known issue. It’s a stress crack. But are you sure your not referring to the antennas. They are weird looking on the right side and look like cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
699 Posts

If it's perfectly straight lines, that's the antenna. Usually the windshields break from the bottom by merely existing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Interesting. It could be antenna. Here are some pics.

These are on the passenger side

This one is in the center

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
699 Posts
That's not antennas, that's some of the common break spots. Get your order in, it'll probably be months to get a new one, which will probably break again shortly after.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well, I won’t be in any hurry to get it done then. I’ll probably just drive it for the summer and then have them do it when I get it serviced in the fall before putting it away for winter.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
699 Posts
Well, I won’t be in any hurry to get it done then. I’ll probably just drive it for the summer and then have them do it when I get it serviced in the fall before putting it away for winter.
I'm not kidding when I say it might be that long to get one. Mine took 4 months to get.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s even longer now. Not a huge deal though. I never even noticed it driving the car. The last thing I want to do it take in in the the dealer before I get a chance to drive it a bunch. 😁

41 - 60 of 74 Posts