McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just got my new windshield on my 570s today. The seals seem to be applied a bit better. I think it is the revised part. Hopefully it doesn’t crack.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
18 months, 17,000 miles, and several track days - no issues with the windscreen so far (570S Spider).

I still think it’s a chassis tolerance thing in a hand built car.. some cars just appear to be more prone due to the tolerances.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
This was never a problem with early 570s as far as I remember. I don't recall many problems, but seems like quite a few recently. I doubt the overall chassis has changed, so I'm guessing it's a component/supplier problem.

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
805 Posts
I've got an early 570S (#224) and I had a windshield stress fracture in the first year. It was replaced under warranty, no problem since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's been 25 days since the windshield cracked on my 570S Spider; it was just sitting in a 73degF conditioned garage. I was wondering how long y'all have waited for a new windshield? I drove the car once, the crack extended a few inches, and it's right smack in the middle of my field of view. So I'd rather not drive it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
July 18,2019
My dealer said this week windshields will no longer be covered for stress racks due to spirited driving under the after-market extended warranty plan
Another reason to lease a new vehicle, enjoy the factory warranty, then lease another new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
July 18,2019
My dealer said this week windshields will no longer be covered for stress racks due to spirited driving under the after-market extended warranty plan
Another reason to lease a new vehicle, enjoy the factory warranty, then lease another new vehicle.
Wow how are they going to prove it was Spirited driving or just sitting in the garage any way they can weasel out of paying for something they will do it

·
Registered
267 Posts
Extended warranty companies for many diversified products are experts at denying claims
Particularly so for automobiles
My family was in the retail auto business for 83 years

·
Registered
975 Posts
Perhaps they will next week?! (I think that you meant "weak")

Seriously, McLaren appears to be doing the same as they did with the 12C headlight issue - sell a flawed product, hope that it survives through the original warranty, then wash your hands of it. Not great for those of us that love the car as a whole, or for secondhand values.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Extended warranty companies for many diversified products are experts at denying claims
Particularly so for automobiles
My family was in the retail auto business for 83 years
The McLaren Extended Service Contract has been pretty good. They are being upfront about changes to what they'll cover, although the value for money is becoming more questionable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Joining the cracked windshield club today at 300 miles. Hopefully the replacement will not have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
July 18,2019
That's just not right. These cars MADE for spirited driving? It is the whole point of the car! I'm guessing your dealer is talking about third-party warrantees not something offered by McLaren themselves, right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes
The service adviser was referring to the extended warranty company’s policy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m in week 5 of waiting for a new windshield. Getting steamed. NC lemon law kicks in at 20 business days. McLaren’s ineptitude— no ETA on a windshield — is
inexcusable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not yet. I like the car, hate the poor supply chain execution. If I don’t get a firm acceptable ETA soon, I’ll pursue other options

21 - 40 of 74 Posts