McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

I literally just picked up the car 2 weeks ago from getting the windshield replaced at 500 miles from a stress fracture. I drove it once. ONCE! with the new windshield before garaging it since it's been raining quite a bit in LA lately. I went to drive it today and wouldn't you know it, it's cracked at pretty much the same spot from last time.

Is McLaren doing anything to rectify this? I spoke to the service manager and he claimed this is a very common problem, but this is comical. I don't want to have to change windshields every 500 miles...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

I literally just picked up the car 2 weeks ago from getting the windshield replaced at 500 miles from a stress fracture. I drove it once. ONCE! with the new windshield before garaging it since it's been raining quite a bit in LA lately. I went to drive it today and wouldn't you know it, it's cracked at pretty much the same spot from last time.

Is McLaren doing anything to rectify this? I spoke to the service manager and he claimed this is a very common problem, but this is comical. I don't want to have to change windshields every 500 miles...
Wow sorry to hear of all the trouble not sure why some so prone it. 4800 miles on my spider. No issues.

Did it crack in same corner again?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. Same area, lower left driver side. Except this time the crack is from the side/A-pillar. Last time it was from the bottom. I just texted the dealership about it. Hopefully I hear back from them on Monday.

·
Registered
975 Posts

Time to talk to corporate. I would be mentioning Lemon Law to them (although it's not clear that it would be covered, but I'd still bring it up). They need to either fix this permanently, or buy the car back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my windshield replaced twice after 1k miles. The second time it broke it hadn't even left the shop after the first time. I was charged for the first replacement because it was obviously caused by a rock chip, the second time warranty covered it because it would be impossible for me to cause it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure on the part number. I got a call from the dealer yesterday that they're trying to source replacement part and this will be covered under warranty. Apparently they've had several of these issues in the last few months.

After digging online into this it appears McLaren corporate should really just source a thicker windshield and take the .001 second hit on the cars performance. It's worth it to avoid inundating their dealership with what should be a non issue.

Just waiting on the replacement now. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I heard a technician at my dealership today mention that he's replaced multiple windshields on the 600 and 720s, and a couple of roof glass fractures on the 720s. He said that the part number on the recent replacements are different than the original was, suggesting that there may have been a defect in the glass.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
699 Posts
Don't the 720s have the similar problem with the door glass cracking.

Door slammers experience it, they need to learn about the soft close life.

I've heard of 600LT windshields cracking on their own, in short time, but not 570's. It would make sense if they're using the same glass, I know with Lamborghini's they use thinner glass on the Superlegerra's and Performante's.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The 600LT uses a thinner windshield over the 570,
Same for the 720s spider over the 720s, and theb720 over the 675lt, 650 and 12c

·
Owner
625 Posts
There is a youtuber, Vehicle Virgins...... Has had a similar problem with his 600LT. 2 windshields in short order.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a 2019 570S Coupe I got two months ago. 75 degree average California. Mine cracked at 3400 miles. The stress fracture happened in two symmetrical locations. The first on the left from the edge. And the other on the right about two to three hours later. Windshield is on backorder. I believe the windshield adhesive does not allow for the chassis flex. Probably has to do with the stiff mono cell II. Anyways I’m hoping I don’t get another when replaced as I live pretty far from the service center. And the one close by, straight up refuses to do minor things like top up power steering fluid since I didn’t buy the car from their dealership. The car is a lease and while I do plan to keep it, I’d rather not waste a 150 mile round trip.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just found a crack from near the bottom driver’s side horizontally about a foot. It appeared while the car was parked in my garage for a few days. 2019 570S Spider, less than 529 miles. Damn annoying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I talked with the service manager at my selling dealer. He is well aware of a systemic issue and has replaced 8 windshields in recent weeks. He said that this was a known problem with the supplier manufacturing windshields that are too thin. It took three weeks to receive the last windshield that he ordered and they’re still on back order. He expects mine in three weeks or less. It’s apparently a revised part. Hopefully this solves the problem for good.

·
Owner
625 Posts
1 year on and my windshield is fine.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts