McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the 12C in March/2012 from Park Place in Dallas. I have owned the 12C for 14 months and have put 4100 miles on the car. In that time she has had multiple issues that have dampened my enthusiasm for the car and the company. It is quite obvious to me(and other early adopters) that the electrical gremlins hadn't been sorted when the car was launched.

My problem list:

1. Check engine light: Car was delivered with a check engine light. She would occasionally stall when starting up. She went back to the dealership 3 weeks post delivery for it. It was a pinched fuel hose in the fuel tank. Took about a week to get it fixed and shipped back.

2. Car won't start: Last summer I took my wife on a road trip to Austin. All went well until the last day when the car refused the recognize the key fob. The car was parked in an underground parking garage. It took 2 tow trucks and 4 hours to get it out of the garage and on a flatbed truck. I had to get a rental and drive home while the car went to Dallas. It was a failed Body Control Module(it recognizes the key fob). 4 days later the car came back fixed and with new keys.

3. Cloud of smoke from exhaust bank: This spring I noticed a big cloud of white smoke from the Rt. exhaust bank upon start up. Called the service advisor and had it picked up. She came back 3 days later after a fix(forgot what the issue was).

4. Car overheating: First noticed it when I drove the car at a DE. Happened again a month ago after doing only 5 laps. The service advisor has said that one of the cylinder's has coolant in it. This is an ominous sign. They are taking the engine out for inspection. I may end up needing a new engine. The car has been gone for 3 weeks this time. Probably be another 2-3 weeks before it is fixed.

5. Cloud of smoke II: Happened again 2 days after the track event. This time it was the other exhaust bank. It is obviously related to the engine overheating issue.

6. Software update: Not really an issue BUT it took them 10 days to give me the car back.

Having all these issues and not having the car in the garage has gotten old. My friends make fun of me. One of them refers to the McLaren as the Lucas Electrics car:eek:. That is kinda sad and funny at the same time. My wife is absolutely sick of the car and wants me to get rid of it. My 15 year old NSX with 70K miles hasn't had a single issue/never left me stranded. The 12C has been away from me for a total of 7 weeks in the 14 months and It will probably be another 2-3 weeks before it comes back. That means it will be gone 2.5 months for service related issues in 15 months of ownership. That is absolutely ridiculous.

My question is: What would you do in my situation? I love the car.... when it is running.:eek: My wife wants me to get rid of it but that it not easy. Can I use the Lemon law in this situation? I will easily lose $65-70K on the car if I trade it in. Even If I traded it in: What would I get? The only real option if I want an exotic with a DCT is a F458. BUT I am not a Ferrari fan and not really enamored with the F458. But at least it would run unlike my Mac. The whole situation has truly dampened my enthusiasm for the brand/car. I am sad and crying on the inside(well not really but you catch my drift).

/Rant......UGH!!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that, I got my car in August 2012 and it has only been to the dealership once for the 10.2 Upgrade.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Ask or demand Mclaren exchange it for a new one or invoke the lemon law and then buy a new one. Your frustration is understandable and the fact that it has significant time away from you needs to be made clear to Mclaren.

I would be tempted to go direct to Woking.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sounds like a very similar situation to that which I had ..... and I now have a new car (see my thread titled "Friday Afternoon Car").

I didn't go directly to Woking (although would have done if I had not been looked after) and handled the issue directly with the dealer. It took a 4 page e-mail and numerous face to face meetings for them to finally understand that I wasn't happy and wanted the situation fixed or the car bought back but, when we reached an understanding, both the dealer and McLaren were keen to keep me as a customer and did what they could to ensure that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I would go lemon law as well.... you could quite possibly hve the same issue with 458 as I did, and if you do and don't like the car anyway you're worse off..

does sound like you've been incredibly unfortunate..

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Lemon Law, enough is enough!

·
Owner
893 Posts
so how does the Lemon Law work...?
It's a legal process ..... but, the manufacturer usually will not go so willingly along with the law's intent. You pretty much have to fight them for your rights ..... There are lawyers who specialize in making you whole again with Lemon Law cases, however. :)

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Also each state has different rules to make a car eligible for a Lemon Law buyback. In California it generally has to be the same issue a multiple of times - it can't just be a car that has numerous unrelated problems, though I have seen cars bought back under those conditions too.

I'd approach the dealer first with an outline of your concerns and what it would take to make you happy. If they don't act on it then I'd investigate legal opportunities.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
367 Posts
In Michigan I believe it is 4 attempts to fix the same issue or 30 days away from your car= lemon.

Don't count on your 458 running any better. Have you viewed all the issues on fchat?

I once told Porsche "fix it or buy it back". I didn't even ask for sticker value, I asked for market value. PCNA and dealers told me to f*** off. Point being, if you leave McLaren there is really nowhere to turn.
Maybe the Gallardo replacement?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not like I want to drive anything else! I love the car. Its just that issues take the fun out of owning such a great car. I realize that the F458 has some issues but surely it can't be as bad as the 12C.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Must say that it appears that the service you have received is first class.

That said, you have certainly experienced more than your fair share or average number of issues, but if dealers are on the case, as they seem to be here, it bodes well.

Appears to be bad luck and a Friday afternoon car, but I am sure McLaren will see you right.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like some really bad luck--my '13 coupe just turned 5,000 faultless miles in 4 months of daily driving. Hasn't even used any oil. My car feels Porsche solid.

As for getting yourself made right--I'd certainly push hard to get a decent solution. Seems like you've more than paid your dues.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It sounds like you have a lemon. I have my coupe for 14 months and besides one or two issues during the first month, it has been trouble free. Hopefully your dealer will offer you a good solution. Good luck.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've had my share of gremlins as well but nothing compared to yours. I never got stranded and allways able to enjoy the car. it's still a wondefull piece of engineering.

Once taking the legal route and blow up bridges there's no way back. As the 2013 is much better you could try to trade in and limit your loss. Mclaren does like to sell'

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The service has been truly amazing. When I was left standed in Austin, I had the service advisor and McLaren Road side assistance in constant line of communication.

Sadly, I know the service advisor Brian Zawacki at Park Place so well that I have his cell number. I just text him when its time for another pickup:eek:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ritesh, i'm at 11,000 miles on mine, with only little niggles so far (all the usual electrical crap). My buddies make fun of the car only because of McLaren's dismal F1 performance this season ("hey, we'd better put Dave at the back of the Group so he feels like Jenson")! So, it seems to me that you have a bad car. Get with Heath at Park Place and be made whole. It amazes me that our brand loyalty is so high that many of us overlook serious defects in these expensive vehicles ( would you accept a joke GPS in, e.g. A Porsche?). We are dedicated to McLaren, I hope that McLaren is dedicated to its clients.
If you're up and running later this month, there's an open track day at TWS on June 29th, only $125. I'll be there good and early to beat the heat

1 - 20 of 71 Posts