McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Alec and have been reading threads in this forum for the last month or so. You seem to be a very knowledgable (and cordial) group...which is refreshing compared to other forums.

I, like some others here, grew up lusting after Ferrari and Lamborghini. I have recently opened my mind and have been researching the MP4. I am extremely impressed with the quality of the fit & finish and the attention to detail with this car.

Although I am a few months away from making a decision, I've been in contact with McLaren Philadelphia. Needless to say I was blown away by the time and respect they gave me over the phone. Never once have I been invited to a dealership for a test drive over the phone by an "exotic" dealer. As many of you know, the "other guys" make it seem like they are doing you a favor by allowing you to purchase their cars. Just not a fan of that attitude.

My first question with this car is at what point in the VIN sequence did the paddle shifting (precog) get smoother with the 2012's? I have read on this forum to try and stick to later 2012 VIN's in the high 800's or later. Does anyone have a more narrow range of VIN's when the change in shifting effort changed? I know you probably can't say car #443 was "bad" but they corrected it with car #444 but any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Also would like to know if it is possible to change the turning vanes post production or aftermarket? I've come across a few cars that I liked that didn't have the carbon vanes and was curious if they could be changed. I think the carbon vanes add a lot to the appearance of the car.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys choose to share. I can't wait until the weather clears so I can actually go for a test drive!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Turning vanes very easy to replace. My dealer replaced them at no additional cost included with purchase.

Loved the 2012, especially the swipe!!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Alec, I think there are two components to the pre cog part... I think all 2012 cars have the same paddles, which take a bit more pull than the 2013. I also think some of the control over how it works is dependent on the software version on the car... If you're looking at McPhilly, or another dealer, the car should be fully updated.

I'm not an owner yet, so please someone chime in if I've mis-stated, but the pre cog thing was one of the parts of the 2012 cars I was trying to sort out as well.

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/2126-pre-cog.html

-Jamie.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think it's difficult to say where things got more/less reliable. Some say the first 500 or so cars were higher quality as there was so much more detail paid. I have cheated with a few early buyers that had a few issues. I think around build 1500 you get pretty close to the 2013MY and things like paint shouldn't be an issue.

Precog, I think, is still there in all cars. Just the paddle switch to better "feel" it was more prominent and liked more by those that managed to master it. My understanding is that it was changed in the middle of 2012 or so, but not sure.

Tldr, might be safer to get cars 1-500, or 1400+, but really, there seems to be no real rhyme or reason for the sporadic problems, other than random bad luck for a particular car. Precog switch may have changed mid 2012, but still available.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Alec - turning vanes are also available aftermarket from a local supplier to you ExoticCarGear - they are great guys and sponsors of this forum - I have changed several parts out to carbon aftermarket at a fraction of the cost with them. Whilst McDealers throw in extras on New Old Stock I doubt if they will on a second hand car - I picked up an ultra low mileage late 2012 car that has been fully updated for ALOT under $200K and am adding carbon to replace ALL the black plastic on the car - winter project still a month or so from completion but no issues with another few inches of snow here in NJ today - Macarbon also do a lot of great quality 12C aftermarket replacement goodies and I have used them on Porsches before with excellent outcomes - best of luck Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys! It's great to hear that the turning vanes are easilly swapped-out for carbon vanes. Again, Ive seen a few nice examples that did'nt quite have the options I wanted. I'm relieved that this car can be tailored to individual tastes without too much effort.

This will be an occasion car for me and want it to be as special as possible. You know, those 45 minute Saturday morning drives to get coffee at a shop that is only 2 miles from the house.

I prefer to drive my crew cab diesel pickup during the week and I have a race car for track days. Just want something that has great finishes, looks unique, and still goes like stink. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky.

I have seen a member on here that has a fantastic carbon steering wheel with large carbon shift paddles from Macarbon. It looked very nice. I will definitely check out what they have to offer for this car.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! It's great to hear that the turning vanes are easilly swapped-out for carbon vanes. Again, Ive seen a few nice examples that did'nt quite have the options I wanted. I'm relieved that this car can be tailored to individual tastes without too much effort.

This will be an occasion car for me and want it to be as special as possible. You know, those 45 minute Saturday morning drives to get coffee at a shop that is only 2 miles from the house.

I prefer to drive my crew cab diesel pickup during the week and I have a race car for track days. Just want something that has great finishes, looks unique, and still goes like stink. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky.

I have seen a member on here that has a fantastic carbon steering wheel with large carbon shift paddles from Macarbon. It looked very nice. I will definitely check out what they have to offer for this car.

Thanks again!
Another thing to keep in mind is if you buy one that is under the McLaren Qualified (CPO) program you do get some discount off of MSO parts to customize the car further... That said though, as I'm sure you've read here, or seen on your own, the MSO parts are quite pricey!

-Jamie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts