McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
He has got it backwards, it actually does sound good from the outside, inside, nope.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
He has got it backwards, it actually does sound good from the outside, inside, nope.
I think this is an idiot talking point shared by journalists. The car in quiet/normal mode, coasting; it woke up the neighborhood--so many people were coming out of their houses to see when I stopped by my friend's house, it was actually disruptive. How much more "look at meeeeeee" quotient do you need?

Let me state it here. The last bastion of losing car makers on the merits is to go to exhaust note. Or some other bs intangible "je ne sais quoi".

They used to do the same retarded thing to the 911 turbo. I never understood these idiot journalists. The review would be something like, any idiot can drive this car completely to the limit easily and under complete control, and therefore, I think it sucks balls because it lacks that certain je ne sais quoi. There's no "drama." I like a car that might lose it's ass at any random time and be in fear of crashing. That's a challenge! Let's release a GT2/3 that is slower in every way, more difficult to handle, and mwa mwa mwa, C'est magnifique! Over time, the 911 turbo has become accepted as awesome (deservedly so), but it went through that insanity.

Now there is the same thing about manual vs double clutch. I'm just not "connected" with the machine in that certain way! Unless you're a rally driver, this is probably a load of crud.

The point is all cars are applied technologies that make humans better at locomotion. The results drive the tech. And the end results, fastest, best handling, safest, most effective, most economical, most reliable, etc., (i.e. real measures) dictate. If you want to be more "connected" to the road, I suggest walking barefoot. And if you get a better rush from the sound of the car, than the way it moves, I don't begrudge you, but I'm not sure you're the right person to be telling anyone about the value of a car.

Anyway, you're a retard if engine note is your primary feature you focus on (or if it's anywhere in the top 5), second, annoyingly loud sound just for sound sake is no different than putting spinning rims on your car. If it float's your boat, good for you, and again, I don't begrudge you, but you're still retarded.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There was a corvette Z06 on the road at the traffic light. He had a modified exhaust and sounded like a tractor trailer!! But, ill tell you this: everybody was checking out his car.

I promptly zipped past (in my non mclaren) and actually thought of this message board.:D:cool:

PS. Yes I know z06 not a super car.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
There was a corvette Z06 on the road at the traffic light. He had a modified exhaust and sounded like a tractor trailer!! But, ill tell you this: everybody was checking out his car.

I promptly zipped past (in my non mclaren) and actually thought of this message board.:D:cool:

PS. Yes I know z06 not a super car.
I totally respect the corvettes. Good bang for buck cars, and serious competition at the track with someone behind the wheel that knows what they're doing.

Anyway, I also respect hondas. Good little cars that never break. Zippy for what they are. Good solid transport. I've also seen people put on insane muffler do-hickeys and giant whale tails on those cars to make them "sound and look faster" or in reality, ridiculous. It's all so much plumage.

Frankly, it's batshit to me that even the Mac's have some system to pipe in sound. Some day electric cars will surpass all the current petrol super cars in performance. It will be insane to play a sound track of a gas engine. Seems a very dinosaur-like thing to do.

The beauty of the performance of a car, or much anything in life, is in its excellence at achieving its own end. Whether that is gas economy, beautiful dance, speed, whatever. I don't need a beautiful dancer to have a spray on tan to enjoy the dance. I don't need an eco box car to have fake wings to make it look aerodynamic, I'd rather it just be aerodynamic. And I don't need a fake sound track to make me believe the car is fast. At one point that sound was a necessary byproduct of the technology of a past age;. That byproduct isn't as necessary as it once was, and it's weird to artificially pump it up in any way. Especially of a company that is shaving ounces off with carbon fiber ashtrays, its weird that there would be any time wasted on piping in sound, much less the weight it wastes.

It's the same way old farts are putting manual gear shifts on a pedestal, or physical keyboards on phones, or print over internet, or anything else that old folks without imagination get stuck in.

You kids today with your engine sound piping, rocks and rolls! Get off my lawn! Waving my cane in the air. Anyway, enough of my rants. /grumpiness

:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally respect the corvettes. Good bang for buck cars, and serious competition at the track with someone behind the wheel that knows what they're doing.

Anyway, I also respect hondas. Good little cars that never break. Zippy for what they are. Good solid transport. I've also seen people put on insane muffler do-hickeys and giant whale tails on those cars to make them "sound and look faster" or in reality, ridiculous. It's all so much plumage.

Frankly, it's batshit to me that even the Mac's have some system to pipe in sound. Some day electric cars will surpass all the current petrol super cars in performance. It will be insane to play a sound track of a gas engine. Seems a very dinosaur-like thing to do.

The beauty of the performance of a car, or much anything in life, is in its excellence at achieving its own end. Whether that is gas economy, beautiful dance, speed, whatever. I don't need a beautiful dancer to have a spray on tan to enjoy the dance. I don't need an eco box car to have fake wings to make it look aerodynamic, I'd rather it just be aerodynamic. And I don't need a fake sound track to make me believe the car is fast. At one point that sound was a necessary byproduct of the technology of a past age;. That byproduct isn't as necessary as it once was, and it's weird to artificially pump it up in any way. Especially of a company that is shaving ounces off with carbon fiber ashtrays, its weird that there would be any time wasted on piping in sound, much less the weight it wastes.

It's the same way old farts are putting manual gear shifts on a pedestal, or physical keyboards on phones, or print over internet, or anything else that old folks without imagination get stuck in.

You kids today with your engine sound piping, rocks and rolls! Get off my lawn! Waving my cane in the air. Anyway, enough of my rants. /grumpiness

All good points,i bought one of the first AM v8 vantages,it was the best sounding car I have ever owned,as well as the most beautiful,but the slowest in its class,and the newest,so no excuses,in the end it was ideal for the Lady of the house,but I want performance above all.
A big opportunity lost imo!! The V12 is fantastic,but it came too late,everyone else had moved on.

·
Owner
893 Posts
jkheit,
Remember .... Some of us manual shifting old farts were driving high-performance vehicles, when some of you kids were still riding tricycles ! ;)

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

More, more, keep ranting please! (Waving my cane too, in solidarity) :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
As you probably know, jk, mclaren/Ricardo hired a sound consultant to work on the 12C.
It still sounds like it has an exhaust leak at idle, and the jet engine thingies are too quiet.

Anyone who spends $300k on a car has a bit of retard in them. Or, if you prefer, a bit of anime kid on a muscular horse racing bareback down a beach toward nirvana.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
jkheit,
Remember .... Some of us manual shifting old farts were driving high-performance vehicles, when some of you kids were still riding tricycles ! ;)
Sorry about that Limey. I meant no disrespect. I should have been more precise in my rant as as those old of heart and spirit. Something tells me, other than myself, not a lot of fuddy duddies buying macs. :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
As you probably know, jk, mclaren/Ricardo hired a sound consultant to work on the 12C.
It still sounds like it has an exhaust leak at idle, and the jet engine thingies are too quiet.

Anyone who spends $300k on a car has a bit of retard in them. Or, if you prefer, a bit of anime kid on a muscular horse racing bareback down a beach toward nirvana.
Yea, I saw the bbc special. Anyone else feel awkward for the guy knowing the "doesn't sound like a Ferrari" comments while watching his self lauding? But I digress.

I suppose you're right. Ultimately it's an irrational toy thinly veiled as transportation. The demographic lends itself to more whim set and reckless/conspicuous consumption.

I guess I have 2 points on that. (1) The guys doing the review ain't of that demographic and are supposedly being more rational in their critic assessment (and if they gushed about how awesome quiet the car was, the anime/pony set would just bobble head to that instead),
And (2) that there is a market for spinners and whale tails and grey puopon tuned exhaust notes with no actual functional purpose (and 300k to blow) doesn't diminish the taking of conspicuous consumption to the next retarded level.

As always, YMMV :)

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
To show how much I could give a sh*t less what Ferrari owners or anyone else thinks here is a picture from a car show taken at the Ferrari Club parking section :)

BTW - the Mac attracted twice the attention as the 16M - people were extremely knowledgeable about the car and have yet to experience one bad remark outside of Mclaren Life and Ferrari Life forums.

The only reason a Mac is loud on the outside and not on the inside - one has a higher quality of fit and finish all one has to do is roll down the windows!

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree. Sometimes a loud car is embarrassing. There is no quiet spot left on earth except a mountain in Nepal. Other times its spine-tingling. Fans of the controlled explosion operate in context. :)

Thats partly why I'm a bit anti electric car. Depending on the green war, we might see electric formula 1 cars before long. I hope they have some cool humming, like the warp drive on the old Star Trek. Something to keep the driver from falling asleep like at a 2am Xbox event.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yea, I saw the bbc special. Anyone else feel awkward for the guy knowing the "doesn't sound like a Ferrari" comments while watching his self lauding? But I digress.

I suppose you're right. Ultimately it's an irrational toy thinly veiled as transportation. The demographic lends itself to more whim set and reckless/conspicuous consumption.

I guess I have 2 points on that. (1) The guys doing the review ain't of that demographic and are supposedly being more rational in their critic assessment (and if they gushed about how awesome quiet the car was, the anime/pony set would just bobble head to that instead),
And (2) that there is a market for spinners and whale tails and grey puopon tuned exhaust notes with no actual functional purpose (and 300k to blow) doesn't diminish the taking of conspicuous consumption to the next retarded level.

As always, YMMV :)
Whaletails don't serve a purpose? Or are you talking about spoilers... Because these are legitimate aerodynamic devices

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Whaletails don't serve a purpose? Or are you talking about spoilers... Because these are legitimate aerodynamic devices
On a Honda civic, probably not. :)

Sure, if it makes sense, great. Same with the noise. If its a legit function of making a powerful, efficient, reliable, fast, etc engine, great. If you're building a speaker and amplifier system and poking holes in a muffler just to "sound" sporty, and not have some function beyond "look at meeeeee", I'd say its of dubious value, but more importantly than my obnoxious opinions, it's a weird thing to build in to appease idiot journalists' bad taste as a marketing driven product feature of a car manufacturer.

As always, YMMV.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts